GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS350 F-Sport Sunroof Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-17, 07:46 AM
itjustme
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy 2013 GS350 F-Sport Sunroof Leak

I've had the car for about a month now, and took it in to get a car wash last week. I had all my windows closed and the shade for the sunroof was open. About a minute into the car wash I felt a drop of water hit my face and I almost freaked out!! It seems like the water came from the sunroof, and while it wasn't "leaking" i could see the water draining through from where I suppose it's supposed to drain. Don't know if this is normal - there wasn't a "leak" of water coming into the car, but the fact that I felt even a drop of water freaked me out. Anyone experience this before? What would you recommend??
Old 03-22-17, 08:00 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Was this a traditional type car wash or a touch free?

In my experience, I've had water come in through sun roofs in touch free car washes. The water is very high pressure and sometimes a little can get past the seal.
Old 03-27-17, 11:31 AM
itjustme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
Was this a traditional type car wash or a touch free?

In my experience, I've had water come in through sun roofs in touch free car washes. The water is very high pressure and sometimes a little can get past the seal.

It was a touch free, and you're right about the high pressure. It doesn't seem to happen at the other car washes... Freaked out for a bit but going through a traditional one made me feel better.
Old 03-28-17, 10:55 PM
BALewis1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did the same thing, took it to the dealer had the seal replaced and no more leak! Drive with your radio off sunroof closed and the visor open, if you hear a whistle your seal has shrunk and needs to be replaced!
Old 03-29-17, 10:48 AM
zerocypher
Driver School Candidate

Had this happen to me too. Brought it to the dealer and they said it might happen at high pressure. To demonstrate, they asked me to sit in my car why they run a hose (at low pressure) over it. They managed to drip some water on me then said they must not have closed the sunroof tightly.
Old 03-30-17, 05:46 PM
BALewis1
Driver School Candidate

Again it's the seal....
Old 03-31-17, 06:49 AM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BALewis1
Mine did the same thing, took it to the dealer had the seal replaced and no more leak! Drive with your radio off sunroof closed and the visor open, if you hear a whistle your seal has shrunk and needs to be replaced!
I hear this whistle in my '13, it is a CPO and at 58K miles is past bumper to bumper warranty. I keep the car garaged and haven't driven in heavy rain yet, but I suspect given that I can hear air with the sunroof shade opened that water will get past the seal. I will mention it to the dealer at the 60K mile service, but thinking that may not be covered.

Does anyone know where I can find the Lexus CPO warranty coverage? I was not given any details at purchase (like an idiot, ***-u-med that the CPO warranty covered any non-wear items) but I have heard others say it does not. Also, when I check out Lexus corporate website, under the CPO details, it shows the checklist and vague information, but I cannot find out what is and what is and what is not covered under the CPO warranty.
Old 04-04-17, 09:14 AM
itjustme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Spideyman1
I hear this whistle in my '13, it is a CPO and at 58K miles is past bumper to bumper warranty. I keep the car garaged and haven't driven in heavy rain yet, but I suspect given that I can hear air with the sunroof shade opened that water will get past the seal. I will mention it to the dealer at the 60K mile service, but thinking that may not be covered.

Does anyone know where I can find the Lexus CPO warranty coverage? I was not given any details at purchase (like an idiot, ***-u-med that the CPO warranty covered any non-wear items) but I have heard others say it does not. Also, when I check out Lexus corporate website, under the CPO details, it shows the checklist and vague information, but I cannot find out what is and what is and what is not covered under the CPO warranty.
Not sure where you can find more info on CPO warranty. I bought mine PO from a Toyota dealership (got a hell of a deal compared to what Lexus was charging for the same models). They gave me a 100k bumper to bumper warranty for $2500 as well.