GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

ML stereo not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-17, 01:25 PM
Kanine21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML stereo not working

Hey all, I have a '13 f sport with ML system. This morning I noticed no sound was coming from the stereo. The USB screen was blank where it'll normally show the song and folder. The buttons on the steering wheel are also not functioning except the call and disconnect buttons. I hear no static and if I turn the volume ****, it doesn't display any numbers nor do I hear anything at all. I switched modes to all other inputs, nothing. If I go to the music menu, I can see all the folders on my USB. If I go to disc, it shows it's playing and the track time.
I'm thinking it's a fuse for the amp or something?

anybody seen this? I searched here and Google with no helpful or common results.

TIA! Kane

Last edited by Kanine21; 01-07-17 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-08-17, 08:02 AM
Chavez562
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanine21
Hey all, I have a '13 f sport with ML system. This morning I noticed no sound was coming from the stereo. The USB screen was blank where it'll normally show the song and folder. The buttons on the steering wheel are also not functioning except the call and disconnect buttons. I hear no static and if I turn the volume ****, it doesn't display any numbers nor do I hear anything at all. I switched modes to all other inputs, nothing. If I go to the music menu, I can see all the folders on my USB. If I go to disc, it shows it's playing and the track time.

anybody seen this? I searched here and Google with no helpful or common results.

TIA! Kane
i had something similar happen to me when I first bought that this year, turns out the car needed to be reset. What I mean by that, was the dealership literally unhooked the battery from the cable ports, then put them back on and the care was fine. They told me that some Lexus' experience this during automatic car updates. Best of Luck and hope it isn't anything too serious.
Old 01-08-17, 10:02 AM
Kanine21
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I'll give that a shot today and if no luck will check all the fuses. Kane
Old 01-08-17, 02:26 PM
Kanine21
Driver School Candidate

I took off the negative battery cable and let it sit a few minutes, reconnected and saw the media system rebooted and initialized, but still having the same problem. I checked all the fuses in the passenger door well area and all were fine still.

Not sure what to check next, man I hope the amp didn't go out!!

-Kane
Old 01-08-17, 02:28 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 107 Posts

mybe ur car need an software update?
Old 01-08-17, 02:48 PM
Chavez562
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

I took off the negative battery cable and let it sit a few minutes, reconnected and saw the media system rebooted and initialized, but still having the same problem. I checked all the fuses in the passenger door well area and all were fine still.

Not sure what to check next, man I hope the amp didn't go out!!

-Kane
Ohhh man sorry to hear that. Well hopefully it is the fuse in the amp, that's a quick easy fix. I'd be worried that it is t something more. Take it to your local audio place and have them figure it out, if worst case scenario is presented and they don't know why, have them remove everything and take it to a Lexus dealership.
Old 01-08-17, 04:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,623 Posts

TIA! Kane
Does your NAV still provide audio? If so, it's not the amp. Hopefully it's still under warranty - I understand it's ≥$1,000.
Old 01-09-17, 10:45 AM
Kanine21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Does your NAV still provide audio? If so, it's not the amp. Hopefully it's still under warranty - I understand it's ≥$1,000.
nope, no audio, but it still seems to function. Used it this morning on the way to work just to see if it would pop on. When I turn the volume ****, nothing displays on the screen nor do I hear anything. Also, if I use the remote mouse to try and adjust the treble mid or bass on any output, the cursor won't go to those settings. It seems like it might be a software glitch almost. I did perform an OS update to my phone the night before and it updated Enform, but it was instant when I turned the car on Saturday, no audio at all since. Not even static.
thanks for the tips guys, might take it in to see if they can isolate it.
Kane
Old 01-09-17, 07:18 PM
runyun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought my '13 with ML. It had the same issue (Display shows music playing but no sound)
Took it in under warranty and dealer stated there was a short in the amp. They replaced it under warranty
Old 01-09-17, 07:27 PM
Kanine21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by runyun
I just bought my '13 with ML. It had the same issue (Display shows music playing but no sound)
Took it in under warranty and dealer stated there was a short in the amp. They replaced it under warranty
how long is the warranty? I bought the car in August and I thought it was 3yrs for everything, which I'm passed right now I guess.
The only warranty shown on my car was the extended drivetrain warranty up to 100k miles.
ugh...

Kane
Old 01-09-17, 08:43 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

Factory warranty is 4yrs/50k miles. Clock starts when it is first registered. MY2013 first released in Feb 2012.
Old 01-09-17, 09:57 PM
Kanine21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Factory warranty is 4yrs/50k miles. Clock starts when it is first registered. MY2013 first released in Feb 2012.
damn, my car has about 78k on the clock. Not looking to hopeful at this point. We'll see what they say. Hope to take it in tomorrow.
Kane
Old 01-16-17, 10:17 PM
Kanine21
Driver School Candidate

Update: Last Tuesday I Took it to Lexus of Carlsbad where I bought the car in August and told them all the steps I checked and they were cool enough to waive the $156 diagnostic fee. They called me later that same day to say it is indeed a bad amp. They said they'd waive the labor as well, but the amp would be $900. I expressed my disappointment that high end Lexus would have such an issue at only 3.5yrs of age even though it has 78k miles, that really doesn't affect the stereo system, he agreed with me. I said I'll just pick it up the next day. The service advisor said to give him one more day. He called me Friday to let me know they're taking care of everything 100%. I was ecstatic! They ordered the amp from NY Last week and it should be here this week. Should be picking it up before the weekend.
Thank you all for the tips and advice!

-Kane
Old 01-16-17, 11:57 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow, great news. I haven't heard of a Lexus dealer coming through like that in a while. Great service!
Old 01-17-17, 05:33 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

Fantastic!! When dealers do those things, they have to realize they are more likely to keep customers for life. My local dealership did something similar, and again, we'll be customers for life.