GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Shifter Noise with video

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-16, 10:02 PM
Gs21
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Noise with video

It sucks that all of my posts have been about problems with my car but this is what it is. You can hear in the video when I move the shifter to park there is a sound like metal banging on metal and it happens right after the shifter goes into park and also you can see at one point I tried to move the shifter out of park into reverse and I had to do a double take at the amount of force that was needed to get into reverse( this was a problem in my first post) - regarding that issue I took the car to my dealer and they say its a "characteristic of the car"

My new issue now is that banging sound you hear when I move the shifter to park. I also notice the shifter sometime pops when I put the car in park, its a pop that you can feel through the shifter and also hear it. Anyone else experiencing this?

All together 4 seperate issues
1. Loud bang from park to reverse intermittently regardless of incline, decline or leveled ground( parking brake on or off)
2. That noise you hear in the video
3. Lots of force required at times to shift from park to reverse regardless of incline, decline or leveled ground ( parking brake on or off)
4. A popping of the shifter when put into park sometimes that can be heard and felt through the shifter

Last edited by Gs21; 09-05-16 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-02-16, 10:40 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

The sound going from reverse into park is definitely not normal. If I were you, I would try another 2016 GS in their showroom to see if it acts similarly.
Old 09-02-16, 11:07 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

That's definitely not normal and I feel your shifter is moving lil bit hard also, I see you have a 16" contact your dealer asap, depending on how long you had a car for you can put the dealer into some water aswell.
Old 09-03-16, 04:57 AM
madrussian
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try turning off the Auto Parking Brake? Don't think its the problem, but doesn't hurt to test.
Old 09-03-16, 07:30 AM
Gs21
Rookie

Originally Posted by dchar
The sound going from reverse into park is definitely not normal. If I were you, I would try another 2016 GS in their showroom to see if it acts similarly.
In regards to the bang I sometimes get shifting from park to reverse regardless of being on an incline or leveled ground, the dealer said that's normal and was able to replicate it on a new 16 f sport. They said its a normal characteristic of the car but honestly if you heard that sound while sitting in the car that **** is not normal.

The sound you hear in the video is a new one I just started noticing
Old 09-03-16, 07:34 AM
Gs21
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
That's definitely not normal and I feel your shifter is moving lil bit hard also, I see you have a 16" contact your dealer asap, depending on how long you had a car for you can put the dealer into some water aswell.
I had the car for about 5 weeks now and I took it to the dealer about that same problem but they say its normal so now I'm calling up lexus and see what they can do for me

Old 09-03-16, 07:35 AM
Gs21
Rookie

Originally Posted by madrussian
Did you try turning off the Auto Parking Brake? Don't think its the problem, but doesn't hurt to test.
I have tried turning on and off the parking brake while on an incline, decline and leveled ground but its still the same thing
Old 09-03-16, 07:59 AM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah that second clank sound is something i don't ever hear and I have 2015 GS, I would contact Lexus corporate if the dealers won't help? How many dealers have you tried? I know there are 3 main ones close to NYC, Bay Ridge, Manhattan and Edison
Old 09-03-16, 08:04 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,001 Likes on 1,422 Posts

I would have guessed that the noise you hear is the automatic parking brake engaging when you go into Park, and it disengaging when you move it from Park. I cannot think of anything else that would make a noise that is common to Park.
Old 09-03-16, 08:27 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I've noticed the shifter pop also but not all the times. I don't have a noise however. I have a 2013 model.
Old 09-03-16, 10:21 AM
Gs21
Rookie

Originally Posted by bclexus
I would have guessed that the noise you hear is the automatic parking brake engaging when you go into Park, and it disengaging when you move it from Park. I cannot think of anything else that would make a noise that is common to Park.
I can hear the parking brake engage but I know for sure this is a completely different sound, its probably doesn't sound clear in the video but its definitely a metal knocking against metal type of sound
Old 09-03-16, 10:26 AM
Gs21
Rookie

Originally Posted by LatinGSF
I've noticed the shifter pop also but not all the times. I don't have a noise however. I have a 2013 model.
That popping is an intermittent thing but still thats another issue to think about, I've never driven an auto car where that happens. I think maybe I expect a higher level of quality from lexus but now I'm thinking I should have gone back to Infiniti
Old 09-03-16, 10:36 AM
Gs21
Rookie

Originally Posted by teezee1000
Yeah that second clank sound is something i don't ever hear and I have 2015 GS, I would contact Lexus corporate if the dealers won't help? How many dealers have you tried? I know there are 3 main ones close to NYC, Bay Ridge, Manhattan and Edison
I took it to Rallye lexus in glen cove since I bought it from
them and they brought another 16gs to try and it also did the loud bang from park to reverse and they said this is a normal characteristic of the car but as far as the clank sound you hear in the video I didn't hear it in that car. On top of that they were rough with the car in trying to diagnose the problem but I'll contact corporate and see what happens.