GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Mercedes E class

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-16, 04:26 PM
pacmanmmc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mercedes E class

I don't understand why the 2017 e class gets praised during reviews with a 2.0 liter turbo with 241 hp but the GS constantly gets ripped for not having enough power with 311 HP.
The mercedes takes 6.2 secs to reach 60 while the GS takes 5.5. Even club lexus members say the GS is too slow . I just don't get the horse power thing.
Old 07-28-16, 07:44 PM
CBRA928
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Mercedes is garbage in my opinion... i had a 2013 E350 and a 07 GS..........my GS was way better, quicker, more responsive better technology and reliable with 130k trouble free miles
The following users liked this post:
corpnupe85 (05-01-17)
Old 07-29-16, 06:09 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The E class is not always marketed as a sporty & powerful car. Some ads do hint at the performance, but not like the GS ads do. So, for a regular luxury car, the E class is good - decent performance. Better than most of the average cars on the road, and the E class has a lot of tech packed into it (pretty much everything is an option though - typical for a MB). The GS is marketed as a performance vehicle, so people expect higher performance, and while I am more than happy with my GS, others find it lacking, when compared to a higher spec'd/priced competitor.
Old 07-29-16, 06:40 AM
pacmanmmc
Driver School Candidate

The E Class is a direct competitor to the GS and not the ES so the sport aspect is taken into consideration during most reviews.
Even with that said sportiness shouldn't be 0-60 times , it should be about the driving feel.
Old 07-29-16, 08:56 AM
jstover33
Driver School Candidate

I am glad someone brought this up. Within the last week I was in a Mercedes dealership with my son who was taking delivery of a new GLC (fairly impressive smallish SUV based on C-class platform, I think). I had plenty of time to check out the new cars in showroom. I thought the E300 ($70K+ sticker!) looked pretty sharp with an excellent interior (though, I did not like it as much as my '14 GS F Sport)....THEN I further read the sticker....a friggin' turbo 4 cylinder (240hp) in a car that size and weight? What a joke. Yes, you can get a E350 with a 3.5 V6 but I assume it would be priced even higher with the same equipment. Even if you read the user reviews of the E-class (which I did before I bought my GS) the owners seem to like the car but caution "beware of high maintenance costs".
The following users liked this post:
corpnupe85 (05-01-17)
Old 07-29-16, 08:58 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

It's the snob appeal.
Old 07-29-16, 09:57 AM
pacmanmmc
Driver School Candidate

Can't even get a 2017 E 350 in US.
Only the 300 offered for 17. E43 will come later
Old 07-29-16, 10:12 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

You'd be surprised how many people buy the Mercedes and not even care about how it handles (as long as it is smooth) or what is under the hood. All they care about is having that badge on their car.
Old 07-29-16, 10:18 AM
pacmanmmc
Driver School Candidate

I know , I had one. ( C class)
Nice car but got tired of getting less than what I paid for . Lexus gives you so much more for the money. Drove my C for 8 years and 120k miles. Traded it in because I didn't want to put another 2 grand into it for repairs. Upgraded to GS for same price . So much more car.
Old 07-29-16, 10:59 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
You'd be surprised how many people buy the Mercedes and not even care about how it handles (as long as it is smooth) or what is under the hood. All they care about is having that badge on their car.
+1 totally agree when the new C class came out last time it was back ordered for 3-4 months and according to the two different dealers I went to they were going like anything.
Old 07-30-16, 08:46 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I think people buying Mercedes for prestige! "Hey, look... I drive Mercedes!" I would probably buy one if only lease option which doesn't fit me, can't write off anything in my case.
Old 07-31-16, 09:16 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

Some of you are bashing like a bunch of kids that totally hate the facts

You owning an earlier E Class has no relevance. The new E Class is very different from the older models, and it's the most luxurious car in its class period. Read the reviews. If you find one that says otherwise, post it here.

The reason why E Class 300 feels faster w/o actually being faster is the amount of low end torque. The Merc gives you the same shove at 1,300 rpm that GS gives you at 4,500 rpm. That is called being driver friendly, you are actually using the full torque every minute without having to track your car. Go test drive then post opinions -- it helps with the credibility

It's not sportier than the GS. It's softer and doesn't invite to aggressive driving. But it's also way more quieter, refined and luxurious, it has a different mission.

Old 07-31-16, 09:20 AM
GSCT
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
It's the snob appeal.
Absolutely! Combine snob appeal with ignorance. I'd bet less than half of E Class 4 cylinder owners even know they have a four.
Old 07-31-16, 10:00 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSCT
Absolutely! Combine snob appeal with ignorance. I'd bet less than half of E Class 4 cylinder owners even know they have a four.
Different ppl care about different things. My wife doesn't care about what under the hood as long as it's easy to drive. What wrong with that? Do cars have to be sold only to mechanics-turned-race-drivers?

The E 300 trumps the GS in terms of refinement, technology and luxury.
The GS looks and feels old, with the look-at-me-Im-so-dynamic desperate design lines, cartoonish navigation, dated entertainment system, 4 buttons for operating the moonroof and the so-2005 daytime running lights. All you have to show for is driving dynamics and - for those who keep the car more than 6 yrs - reliability.
The E only falls (slightly) behind in areas where your typical E driver doesn't give a damn, like figure 8 and two-wheels turns.

Another thing is that you conveniently keep comparing the GS 350 with the entry level E Class when anything above the E 300 w/ sport package will eat the GS/F for lunch in all aspects. What about the "sporty" GS 200t? Same 2.0L turbo application, but whooops, the E Class got it done so much better. Cat eat you tongue?

Again, watch the reviews. The GS doesn't even make it into the (verbal so far) comparisons, no one even considers the GS in the same ballpark. Not to mention that most of you purists would take the AMG over the GSF. You just don't have the cash
Old 07-31-16, 10:02 AM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My previous two cars before the GS were E Classes. 99 E320 and a 94 E420. The E320 was a v6 and the 420 had the 8. The 8 moved. Both cars were nothing but good to me - once you get past the 9 quart oil change lol. And I agree that Benz has gone downhill, as cliche as it sounds they just literally don't make them like they used to. My step mom has a 2017 C Class bumped the gas door at the pumps, snapped the entire thing off come to find out its PLASTIC. Needless to say I'm a believer in the Toyota/Lexus brand. Yet a very valid point was made above about getting an accurate "apples : apples" comparison or even "oranges : oranges" If you venture out at the GSF vs AMG
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes E class-image.jpg  

Last edited by nelson09; 07-31-16 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Mercedes E class