GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Road Debris

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-16, 03:43 AM
acotugno
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Road Debris

Early this morning a ran over some thin metal road debris. Didn't see it in time and it was unavoidable. Luckily there was no body/bumper damage in the front. However, I did hear some scraping underneath as I travelled over it. Since I just had surgery 2 weeks ago, I'm not in a position to crawl under the vehicle to check for any damage. Does anyone know if there are any vulnerable parts that are not tucked away or protected such as brake lines that would be damaged? The car drives fine and there are no rattles, etc. I suppose I can have the dealer check it out and may do so. Thank you.
Old 07-08-16, 01:02 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

No need to crawl under the car, just take pics with ur phone from different angles and using the flash would help too. That's what I always do when I want to check my undercarriage.
Old 07-08-16, 02:10 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I am not sure what year your car is but on the '16 it's well protected underneath. If that FOD was ratttling around for a while I would be worried. But if it just passed under pretty quick then there is a good chance that no damage occured.

I usually use one of those extension mirrors to check under my car just to get a glimpse. You may want to try one of those.
Old 07-08-16, 11:33 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar situation with a piece of blown out tire. Unfortunately, I suffered more damage than you did (glad to hear you didn't). I'd make sure that there's no clicking noise or anything like that. the biggest damage I had besides the bumper was the inner fender breaking severely which caused part of it to keep hitting my springs. That's what caused the clicking noise. Good luck and I hope there isn't any damage to yours.
Old 07-09-16, 01:23 AM
acotugno
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry, forgot to indicate in my original post that my vehicle is a 2015 GS350 FSport. The road debris passed underneath fairly quickly so I guess it didn't have a chance to do any damage. Don't hear anything such as rattles, etc. Will check using my phone camera as ItzFilyO suggested.

Thank You.
Old 07-09-16, 08:56 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by djkidd
I had a similar situation with a piece of blown out tire. Unfortunately, I suffered more damage than you did (glad to hear you didn't). I'd make sure that there's no clicking noise or anything like that. the biggest damage I had besides the bumper was the inner fender breaking severely which caused part of it to keep hitting my springs. That's what caused the clicking noise. Good luck and I hope there isn't any damage to yours.
That sucks man!! My biggest fear is a piece of tire and ladders. Yes we have lots of ladders laying around on our freeways here. Some were already banged up cause somebody already hit it.

I think u can actually make money from all the car parts and hardware found on our freeways. Bumper covers, fender liners, hubcaps, buckets, chairs, mattresses, u name it we got it!
Old 07-09-16, 10:33 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
That sucks man!! My biggest fear is a piece of tire and ladders. Yes we have lots of ladders laying around on our freeways here. Some were already banged up cause somebody already hit it.

I think u can actually make money from all the car parts and hardware found on our freeways. Bumper covers, fender liners, hubcaps, buckets, chairs, mattresses, u name it we got it!
Dude, tell me about it. Normally I'm good about avoid, people on waze are pretty helpful about reporting crap on the roads/freeways. I was unlucky because it was 3am and on the one part of the freeway that doesn't have lights and lane 1 is in the shadow of a wall -_-.

For some reason I see more bumpers and car parts over on the 91, 110, and 710 freeways...what's that about? lol