Best Intake, Springs, and other upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 11:08 AM
herkster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Intake, Springs, and other upgrades

Hi All,

Newbie questions here BUT I know that its probably been debated on the best stuff.

Best intake upgrade? Any HP increase? I know some are bigger tubes. I know that the Lexus computer can't really be tuned.

I was thinking of getting the tanabe frame/ strut tie bar. Did it stiffen it up? Better handling?

For springs I'm looking for a nice drop but don't want to lose the Lexus ride. Frankly the F Sport has a bit of a stiff ride which is good but I'm just looking to drop for a nice look but not slammed. Certainly no rubbing. I cannot afford new rims right now so I'll drop on stock. Tanabe springs?

I like the look of subtle changes. The rear window spoiler and front lip look like good choices. Any thoughts to the most durable ones? The car will be out in the Florida sun quite a bit.

Seems that everyone likes the Joe Z Exhaust. My only concern is that its got some drone on the interstate BUT its only turning 2,200 rpm at 80mph so I wouldn't think it was that bad. Any HP increase or is it just a better sound?

Is the Apexi Throttle controller really worth it?

This is probably the nicest and most expensive car I've owned BUT I want to do it right and find the good stuff for it. I came from a 2007 Infiniti G35S 6 Speed. It was a great car until totaled on I-95 but getting hit in the rear. It was a great car but the GS350 is quite a step up.

For colors its a White GS350 with the Cabernet interior.

Thanks for putting up with me on this and weigh in on your favs.
Old 05-09-16, 11:23 AM
jsndin
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't noticed any significant increase in HP with the intake or exhaust. I got the Joe-Z intake and Invidia Midpipe + Axleback Exhaust. However, the sound is more deep and louder than stock. I did notice a difference from theresponse after installing the Apexi controller.
Old 05-09-16, 01:51 PM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for the 2016?
Old 05-09-16, 07:58 PM
nobodycare
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the intake that I'm going to try.

http://hpsperformanceproducts.com/hp...kle-black.html
Old 05-09-16, 09:34 PM
jsndin
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodycare

Ohh wow. This intake let's you keep the sound generator? Need to jump on this.
Old 05-10-16, 04:46 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Don't like the sound generator T.T but.... post a video
Old 05-10-16, 05:55 AM
herkster
Driver School Candidate

looks like the HPS pipe will give a little gain. that's cool!
Old 05-10-16, 09:00 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

What about JOEz? I believe there is no sound generator
Old 05-10-16, 09:17 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Has anyone tried to chip their GS?
Old 05-10-16, 12:13 PM
zerocypher
Driver School Candidate

I just ordered this yesterday. Looking forward to it!

Heard a lot of positive reviews for the Apexi Throttle controller- makes the car more responsive (as another member put it, "S++") but no hp increase
Old 05-10-16, 09:02 PM
nobodycare
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zerocypher
I just ordered this yesterday. Looking forward to it!

Heard a lot of positive reviews for the Apexi Throttle controller- makes the car more responsive (as another member put it, "S++") but no hp increase
Isn't that what your right foots for?
Old 05-11-16, 05:43 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Also look @ the Tanabe NF210 springs - heard ride quality is not that different from stock and it provides the drop you are looking for. As to if it bounces a lot or not, I still need to do more research on that portion. This is the intake I have right now, http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...5L&&brandID=78
They have two versions of the intake with a dry filter and an oil filter.

Also a sound clip of what it sounds like:

I also plan to pick up a strut bar from tanabe as coilovers from RSR/J5 may be too stiff for a lux car. Also the drop with stock wheels still looks great, just look @ this page https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...und-2-a-6.html

I would also get tints on a white car, accents can make a car shine more and it will help with that Florida heat. Finally you could wrap your chrome to a color of your choice.

Isn't that what your right foots for?
Slightly yes, you get a better feel/response with the pedal - no lag as to when you step on the gas whereas there is a slight lag.

Last edited by SRC350F; 05-11-16 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-11-16, 09:19 AM
PDF84
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

SRC350F I love the sound of that Takeda intake . I just got mine in the mail last week and I can't wait to install it just as soon as I get my car back from the dealer for P.D.R. from recent hail storms. It's been 3 weeks now and they just started working on it I WANT MY CAR BACK! The ES Loaner they put me in is comfortable to drive and all but it couldn't be any more boring.
Attached Thumbnails Best Intake, Springs, and other upgrades-fullsizerend1251er.jpg  
Old 05-11-16, 09:22 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PDF84
SRC350F I love the sound of that Takeda intake . I just got mine in the mail last week and I can't wait to install it just as soon as I get my car back from the dealer for P.D.R. from recent hail storms. It's been 3 weeks now and they just started working on it I WANT MY CAR BACK! The ES Loaner they put me in is comfortable to drive and all but it couldn't be any more boring.
The ES is definitely a great class in a different category, I bet you miss her. I just wanted to let you know that recently I had the engine light come up in my 2016 model and that the error code was P0158, my assumption is that it could have been the intake - too much air. I cleaned the MAF sensor just incase and cleared the code. In the off chance that this happens again I am going to drop in the stock and take it to the dealer. My assumption is that a O2 sensor could have gone bad, but we will see when the time comes.

I also noticed that you had tanabe springs and struts, are they the NF210? If so how long have you been riding on them for and how do you like the ride of it? too bouncy, stiff?
Old 05-12-16, 07:15 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

I have the HPS on my ISF and love it, and many customers have put the Takeda on their IS. I like the way the Takeda sounds.. If anyone is interested, I have some Takeda units in stock!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Quick Reply: Best Intake, Springs, and other upgrades