GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Loud engine / vibrating noise while in idle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-16, 08:18 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,172 Likes on 864 Posts

If its something that bothers you and you have good experience with the Lexus brand, I agree with other posters that you should take it in for service. My personal mechanic told me certain things that led me to take my car in to Lexus.

I took it in and drove with a Lexus tech - they didn't "hear" the grinding noise and could not "reproduce" the problem with a noise with the transfer case. Here's why it was important to take the time to take it in:

Its easier to make an argument for a warranty fix if the dealers is difficult in the future because there is a history on the car when properly documented by the tech.

Once I took it in and it was all documented, I felt more comfortable because if it turned out to be a bigger issue in the future, I could take it in and they could see that I came in based on any of the previous "warning signs."

Bottom line: I would def. take it in to not only ensure there is not a problem with my car but also to just clear my own head.

Last edited by AJLex19; 04-26-16 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-26-16, 08:32 AM
ashleymari
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
If its something that bothers you and you have good experience with the Lexus brand, I agree with other posters that you should take it in for service. My personal mechanic told me certain things that led me to take my car in to Lexus.

I took it in and drove with a Lexus tech - they didn't "hear" the grinding noise and could not "reproduce" the problem with a noise with the transfer case. Here's why it was important to take the time to take it in:

Its easier to make an argument for a warranty fix if the dealers is difficult in the future because there is a history on the car when properly documented by the tech.

Once I took it in and it was all documented, I felt more comfortable because if it turned out to be a bigger issue in the future, I could take it in and they could see that I came in based on any of the previous "warning signs."

Bottom line: I would def. take it in to not only ensure there is not a problem with my car but also to just clear my own head.
I agree. I've heard the GS is louder than the ES (my previous car) so I wanted to make sure that it wasn't just normal noise. You all have pretty much confirmed that it isn't, so I'm going to try to make it to the dealer tonight before the service department closes. Thanks!
Old 04-26-16, 09:27 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Just in case you are not aware - the GS 350 has direct fuel injectors that make a significant clicking noise every time they squirt fuel that can be easily heard at idle and low RPM. Many people that are not familiar with this sound of direct injectors think something may be wrong with their engine. Many newer cars have direct fuel injectors nowadays...
Old 04-26-16, 10:37 AM
ashleymari
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Just in case you are not aware - the GS 350 has direct fuel injectors that make a significant clicking noise every time they squirt fuel that can be easily heard at idle and low RPM. Many people that are not familiar with this sound of direct injectors think something may be wrong with their engine. Many newer cars have direct fuel injectors nowadays...
It's not a clicking noise and it doesn't sound like it's coming from the engine area. It's a low, dull vibration, that is very irritating to the ears. You can't hear it while inside the car, only on the outside or when the windows are down. When I try to isolate the sound in a closed area (like my garage), I'll hop out of the car and it sounds like it's coming from the mid-back section of the driver's side of the car.
Old 04-26-16, 11:56 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Maybe the fuel pump or the evaporative emissions fuel vapor canister system.
Old 04-27-16, 02:52 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ashleymari
My '09 ES you could hear a pin drop when in idle. Such a quiet car!

That's my worry...to head all the way to the dealership for them to tell me the sound is "normal". Was the buzzing sound in your '13 more of a vibration coming from the exterior of the car? I cannot hear or feel it while I'm in the car itself with the windows up..BUT if I am sitting idle with the windows down, it's very noticeable. It's not incredibly loud, but the dull vibration sounds actually hurts your ears.
Mine was not a vibration that I could feel in the steering wheel or by touching the car. It was more like a buzz that could be heard throughout the cabin. It's hard to explain but was very annoying especially after coming from a very quiet '08. It was almost like a sound that's coming through the speakers in the sound system. All I had to do was to step on the accelerator slightly and it would stop and would be very smooth until I let it go back to idle.
Old 06-26-16, 04:41 PM
Fcdrifter2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a/c on full blast 750-800
Old 07-06-16, 09:08 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

My 4GS idles louder than previous Lexus models, and you can hear the details more too.
However, the idle noise is not the problem.
The problem is that with more and more miles, it is idling more roughly, to the point where there is a little resonance in the dashboard in D with the foot on the brake pedal.
According to the dealer, it is part of the bigger 3.5L capacity, and nothing can be done.
Likewise, the 3.5 doesn't rev as sweetly as their old 3.0 V6's from 1996-2006 either.
This is a good reason for Lexus to move into a smaller 3.0 V6 with forced induction - not just the power and economy, but also brings back the refinement...
Old 07-06-16, 10:21 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I currently have the 2IS and had the 3GS in the past but this one is definitely louder then both that once I had to joke that Lexus have put Diesel engine in this one.
Old 07-11-16, 06:45 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

I just purchased a 2015 GS and notice a ticking noise when sitting still (transmission in D). I'm surprised to hear that's it's normal, but will probably have it checked out when I return to the Dealership to pick up my license plates.

ashleymari - good luck with your problem, as it sounds like it might be a little different than what I am describing. Can you get a short recording and upload it for us all to listen to?
Old 07-11-16, 10:22 PM
mrpink13
Rookie

one f sport i checked out had a noticeably loud idle....the guy said he did oil changes himself and was a 'car guy' that worked and cared about his cars. but i knew while that is true what also comes with that is being an enthusiast and i know he drove the cr@p out of that car....