GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Question on tint - PA

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-15, 09:53 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Question on tint - PA

I live in the wonderful Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, where we are only legally allowed to use 70% tint. My question is... assuming I want to abide by the laws, is 70% tint even worth it, or should I just leave it un-tinted? I have looked at some images online and it is hard to tell if it would even matter. Haven't gone to a shop yet to see examples.

I'd like it for privacy, reducing the brightness of the sun on sunny days, and some heat reduction in the summer. Also think tinted windows generally look nicer on cars. Not sure if 70% will do much for any of those things.

Thanks for any input.
Old 10-22-15, 11:14 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At 70% the tint will pretty much look clear on the windows! I would recommend taking a look at the llumar air blue 80! In California even though you aren't suppose to tint your front windows, I have been able to get away with llumar formulaone pinnacle 30%.
Old 10-23-15, 12:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if you are looking for privacy and darkness, then 70% won't get you anything

if you want heat reduction, then you want to get ceramic and even at 60-70% it's going to block good amount of heat.
Old 10-23-15, 05:29 AM
jhyphen
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
if you are looking for privacy and darkness, then 70% won't get you anything

if you want heat reduction, then you want to get ceramic and even at 60-70% it's going to block good amount of heat.
+1

Even 35% doesn't get you much privacy. You should research into whether or not there is a medical exemption for tint. I have one here in Massachusetts, also one of the four commonwealth states lol, which allows me to go darker than the legal 36%. I'm at 20%
Old 10-23-15, 05:59 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

same law in NYC but i have 20%
Old 10-23-15, 06:08 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

What I have learned about tint is the percentage really only provides privacy. As for heat rejection, its all depend on the type of film you get installed. Carbon blocks around 40% heat, ceramic blocks around 70% heat, and crystalline blocks up to 95% heat. Crystalline has a blueish tint to it. I think it looks really good on white cars.

The owner of the tint shop had a black on black M6 with 70% crystalline all around (including front windshield) and I thought he had 35% on his car. It was very dark for 70% and it will pass the tint meter test.

My white on cabernet, I installed 70% 3M crystalline on my front and 20% ceramic on the rest of the windows. This cost $525. First thing you want to ask the shop is what kind of film they use. Don't go for those cheap $180 tint shops. They rarely use quality films.

Old 10-24-15, 03:24 PM
1nOnlyGSF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
I live in the wonderful Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, where we are only legally allowed to use 70% tint. My question is... assuming I want to abide by the laws, is 70% tint even worth it, or should I just leave it un-tinted? I have looked at some images online and it is hard to tell if it would even matter. Haven't gone to a shop yet to see examples.

I'd like it for privacy, reducing the brightness of the sun on sunny days, and some heat reduction in the summer. Also think tinted windows generally look nicer on cars. Not sure if 70% will do much for any of those things.

Thanks for any input.
I live in PA and have 30% tint and no problem so far. Had all my cars tinted and some even to the point of 15%, the only problem I had is in NJ when I used to leave there.
Old 10-25-15, 01:42 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Thanks for all the feedback and recommendations!

I will have to do some research into some of the different types of tint that have been recommended here and decide what would work best for my case. Lots of good advice!

Car is looking nice, pqn. I love the white, it's what I really wanted but I ended up with silver.
Old 04-08-16, 06:57 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Does anyone in Southwest Pennsylvania (specifically Pittsburgh) have any suggestions on a place to get my windows tinted? Called the local Ziebart where a friend had his car done, but they only offer a "high performance metalized film" for $249, and what I am really looking for is ceramic. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-16, 07:33 AM
skydynamic
Driver School Candidate

i don't have a GS yet but i have 15% on my TL
Old 04-08-16, 07:36 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Originally Posted by skydynamic
i don't have a GS yet but i have 15% on my TL
Are you in/around Pittsburgh? If so, where did you get it done?
Old 04-08-16, 08:11 AM
mikesd1980
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I live about 15 mins north of Philly. I have 20% on mines. Tint usually isn't a issue in my parts of Pa. NJ is **** about it though...
Old 04-08-16, 08:13 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Thanks for the input guys. I have decided to go for it, so I am mostly just looking for recommendations on an installer in the Pittsburgh area now.
Old 04-08-16, 09:09 AM
skydynamic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CottageChz
Are you in/around Pittsburgh? If so, where did you get it done?
I'm in Philly area
Old 04-08-16, 09:54 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used Solar Control in Monroeville for clear bra (I don't really like my windows tinted) and he did a great job. His main business though, is window tinting. Regardless, he treated me well and was very professional. I highly recommend him.

Quick Reply: Question on tint - PA