GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS compared to 3GS and maybe audi a6

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-14, 04:39 AM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the help going to go for the 4gs, so that will mean I have had a 2gs, 3gs and 4gs. 2 things I have to think about is to buy at Sewell Lexus in dallas or this Ecarone.com website that has a lot of F sports cheaper then Sewell but Sewell might add the 100,000 mile warranty which equals everything out. Right now the car is around 42-44K range used for the 13's. I am trying to get in the 35 range. I am wondering if I wait until after tax season next year won't that price drop into that because then that car will be a few years old?
Old 07-22-14, 05:06 AM
raytrix
Driver School Candidate

Interesting comparison between the 2.
Old 07-22-14, 07:16 PM
krava
Lead Lap

between the 2 companies? That company has a really nice a6 at a good price but I don't want to pay for parts every few months and doubt I could keep that thing 12 years
Old 07-23-14, 09:51 AM
LexFather

Comparing my 2007 GS 450h modded vs wife's 2013 GS F-sport loaded and modded and even the base 2013 GS Vossen Project Car

I've owned both and loved both. For all intents and purposes I find the 4G superior in every measure expect maybe looks, I still look the looks of the 3GS. There are subjective things took the 3GS has a more coupe like interior compared to the more German 4GS. The 3GS has titanium gauges vs the 4GS kinda regular gauges.

And that is about it

When I get in the 3GS, I want to cruise. You feel more bumps. It rides rougher. Responses are delayed in regards to sporty driving. it is a much more relaxed experience. There is also less room inside and clearly less tech.

With a base GS, the drive is remarkably better. The materials are higher quality, there is more room. The sound system is better. It feels like a more expensive car. The handling is much better, where the 3GS is lazy the 4GS is lively. The brakes are the same, similar feel.

With the F-sport and with the optional rear steer it feels like a completely different car to the 3GS. It is one of the most fun sedans at any price. You want to drive, you want to go faster, the car engages you. The optional red leather inside feels and looks great. The seats are more supportive with more adjustments. Whatever you throw at the F-sport it takes. The brakes are better and stop amazingly well. The sound in the F-sport is awesome, the 3GS is muted.

One thing, the engine is the same so don't expect much change in acceleration.

The A6 I have much less experience with, very nice but didn't engage me at all. Might have to jump to the S6 to do that.

I highly recommend driving a new F-sport, you will love it!
Old 07-23-14, 02:24 PM
bocahoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krava
(maybe the 450h as I plan on keeping 10 years and gas keeps going up),
JMO, but I wouldn't buy a 450h for the gas savings (at least from a purely financial standpoint) unless you drive a crazy amount of miles per year. At 12K miles per year, assuming $4.00/gallon gas, the GS450H will save you less than $500 per year in fuel cost. But you'll pay a $10K+ price premium. So unless you think gas is going to triple in price, you'll never make up the price difference in fuel savings. And for the length of time you're talking of keeping the car (10 years), you'd also have to factor in the cost of replacing the batteries.
Old 07-23-14, 03:05 PM
LexFather

450h is also quieter, rarer, faster with less emissions and a 50% reduction in NVH as the car is off a ton. I agree buying it for MPG savings alone might not make financial sense but neither is buying a 50-70 grand GS that runs on ICE or is a hybrid
Old 07-23-14, 03:28 PM
bocahoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexFather
450h is also quieter, rarer, faster with less emissions and a 50% reduction in NVH as the car is off a ton. I agree buying it for MPG savings alone might not make financial sense but neither is buying a 50-70 grand GS that runs on ICE or is a hybrid

Yeah, I agree there are other reasons to buy a hybrid GS, but cost savings is not one of them (except maybe in some extreme cases of crazy high mileage, but in those scenarios I think the battery life would enter the equation). For some reason, "gas math" causes people to not think rationally at times. I had a BMW prior to my GS and I can't tell you how many times the subject of using regular gas came up on bimmerfest. People who would spend $70K+ on a 5 series would then worry about saving ~$200 per year by using regular gas. Or I'll see people waiting 30 minutes in line to fill up at costco and save $0.09 per gallon (or <$1.50 on the average tank of gas). There seems to be an emotional aspect to gas prices that causes people to not think rationally for some reason.
Old 07-23-14, 08:26 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I owned an '09 A5 S Line, a '10 S5 Cabriolet and an '11 S5 Cabriolet. I traded the '11 S5 Cabriolet for my GS. I had no issues with any of my Audis, but I needed more space. Two things kept me away from the A6:

I prefered the interior and exterior of the GS

The BOSE system in the A6 sucks, according to everyone in the Audi owners forum, and that means paying another $6k for Bang & Olufsen to get decent upmarket sound. I got that for much less with the Mark Levinson in my GS.

The Supercharged V6 in the A6 is a gem. I had it in my S5s. The torque is available everywhere. But then again, the GS has plenty of power for any maneuvers I need to make.

I do remember my '02 A6 4.2, which was an incredible car but had multiple electrical problems and was incredibly expensive to service. I think Audi is still really expensive to service, but they have greatly reduced their reliability issues.