GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Navigation Maps/Firmware/Gracenotes Updates

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16, 09:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Renrutjw
Says the dude with 11,831 post in less than 4 years...
At least all those posts are about different things!

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-13-16 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-18-16, 11:15 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Renrutjw
Says the dude with 11,831 post in less than 4 years...
exactly. hehe ROFLMAO

I started a new thread about the music thing...im trying to find a solution. I decided to make a few posts last week because I drove the car for 5 days straight (my wife usually drives it daily, and I only drive it occasionally) - during that 5 days I "learned" a lot about the car's interface system.

Other than these glitches, I really like the power, I just guess I should have waited for the '14 model, but oh well, lesson learned. :-)
Old 01-18-16, 11:28 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

At least now they have the "ENTER" button on the left of the remote touch. Before (2013) you had to carefully push the **** down, while not moving the mouse at all. Very distracting to do while driving.
Old 01-19-16, 09:14 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Is the update USB stick based (just upload the updates) or is it a disk that stays with the car?
Old 01-19-16, 08:26 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
Is the update USB stick based (just upload the updates) or is it a disk that stays with the car?
It's USB and it's slower than christmas. One time install, then they pull the stick and reboot the car.

The reason the update is so expensive is because of labor. I think the TSB that covers the update process quotes it at 2 hours. Ridiculous.
Old 01-19-16, 08:55 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
It's USB and it's slower than christmas. One time install, then they pull the stick and reboot the car.

The reason the update is so expensive is because of labor. I think the TSB that covers the update process quotes it at 2 hours. Ridiculous.
Wish they would just copy it to a stick and hand it to the user to install if the majority of cost is to install. Also you know the guy is not just sitting there for two hours waiting for the install to finish.
Old 01-20-16, 08:04 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Yeah, but the car is likely sitting in one of their service bays....keeping them from working on other cars.
Old 01-20-16, 10:53 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

From what I'm told it's a bit more time consuming than you might think and takes much longer than a few minutes. If you've ever updated a stand-alone GPS (e.g. Garmin) the new mapping and POIs, etc. will take about an hour minimum to install. I suspect updating the Lexus NAV is very similar, thus the $100+ installation labor charge...even though the technician can be doing something else for most of the ~1 hour downloading time. Also, I'm told that Lexus downloads the new map/POIs, etc. from one of their master tech computers with a special delivery device that plugs into the GEN7 NAV USB port (for Gen4 GS 350) - not from an individual memory stick device.

When I took my car in for the map update, this is what happened to me. The first time I took it in to my local Lexus dealership (with an appointment and loaner car) the Lexus computer that handles the map updates nationwide (not located at the dealership) crashed and they couldn't even begin the map update. The second time I took it in (with an appointment and loaner car) they began the map update, but Lexus' computer crashed before they got finished - but my original map was still usable. The third time I took it in (with an appointment and loaner car) they were finally able to update the NAV with the latest v15.1 map update. When I returned to pick up my car my service advisor told me the map update was done at no-charge as a one-time goodwill gesture because it took three trips to finally get the NAV map updated. I did not complain nor did I ask for any price reduction because of the two previous times. This goodwill gesture saved me around $300. ($169 plus 1 hour labor at $130 hr.), which I really didn't mind paying. It was not a big inconvenience for me because the Lexus dealership is only a few miles from my house, and I received a loaner each time. Anyway, the entire map update usually takes between one and two hours, with the longest part of the process being the transfer or download of map data from the Lexus computer to the dealership's computer (I'm told). The final time they kept my car a total of 3.5 hours, which was over the typical lunch period.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...13-models.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...-1-update.html
Old 01-20-16, 10:58 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by bclexus
From what I'm told it's a bit more time consuming than you might think and takes much longer than a few minutes. If you've ever updated a stand-alone GPS (e.g. Garmin) the new mapping and POIs, etc. will take about an hour minimum to install. I suspect updating the Lexus NAV is very similar, thus the $100+ installation labor charge...even though the technician can be doing something else for most of the ~1 hour downloading time. Also, I'm told that Lexus downloads the new map/POIs, etc. from one of their master tech computers with a special delivery device that plugs into the GEN7 NAV USB port (for Gen4 GS 350) - not from an individual memory stick device.

When I took my car in for the map update, this is what happened to me. The first time I took it in to my local Lexus dealership (with an appointment and loaner car) the Lexus computer that handles the map updates nationwide (not located at the dealership) crashed and they couldn't even begin the map update. The second time I took it in (with an appointment and loaner car) they began the map update, but Lexus' computer crashed before they got finished - but my original map was still usable. The third time I took it in (with an appointment and loaner car) they were finally able to update the NAV with the latest v15.1 map update. When I returned to pick up my car my service advisor told me the map update was done at no-charge as a one-time goodwill gesture because it took three trips to finally get the NAV map updated. I did not complain nor did I ask for any price reduction because of the two previous times. This goodwill gesture saved me around $300. ($169 plus 1 hour labor at $130 hr.), which I really didn't mind paying. It was not a big inconvenience for me because the Lexus dealership is only a few miles from my house, and I received a loaner each time. Anyway, the entire map update usually takes between one and two hours, with the longest part of the process being the transfer or download of map data from the Lexus computer to the dealership's computer (I'm told). The final time they kept my car a total of 3.5 hours, which was over the typical lunch period.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...13-models.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...-1-update.html

Was there a big difference between the original OS and maps to the update? I am assuming 'no' on the maps but really looking to see if there is a difference in the look/functionality of the OS.
Old 01-20-16, 11:05 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Was there a big difference between the original OS and maps to the update? I am assuming 'no' on the maps but really looking to see if there is a difference in the look/functionality of the OS.
No change for the OS, just the update of map and POIs.
Old 01-20-16, 11:32 AM
Jeevz
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I just had mine updated from the original a couple of weeks ago and the only difference in functionality I've noticed is an iPod would need to be disconnected/connected from the USB jack in order to be recognized around every second or third start of the car before and I have not had to unplug/replug once since the update.
Old 01-20-16, 11:51 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

No change for the OS, just the update of map and POIs.
And that's why I won't bother to update. Every iOS update makes my iPhone functionally better. All Lexus' update will do is update the icon from the Shell station that changed to a Chevron station near my house.
Old 01-20-16, 12:48 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jkeller
And that's why I won't bother to update. Every iOS update makes my iPhone functionally better. All Lexus' update will do is update the icon from the Shell station that changed to a Chevron station near my house.
I don't know where you are in Texas, but all around the DFW Metroplex there have been numerous changes/additions/modifications to Interstates, tollways, turnpikes, parkways, highways, roads, exit ramps, entrance ramps and lanes, as well as newly added residential neighborhoods and streets, plus thousands of changed/added POIs. And if you are traveling out of your local area in unfamiliar places you'll have the latest changes there too.

Last edited by bclexus; 01-20-16 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-20-16, 02:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeller
And add any new roads, any new developments, etc.

You can look at what is added in every upgrade and decide whether its worthwhile to upgrade. The only time I ever upgraded nav was on my 2003 ES, I upgraded it when it was about 5 years old because we had some new roads and developments. Otherwise I've never needed to.
Old 01-20-16, 02:31 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

I don't know where you are in Texas, but all around the DFW Metroplex there have been numerous changes/additions/modifications to Interstates, tollways, turnpikes, parkways, highways, roads, exit ramps, entrance ramps and lanes, as well as newly added residential neighborhoods and streets, plus thousands of changed/added POIs. And if you are traveling out of your local area in unfamiliar places you'll have the latest changes there too.
I have to travel to Dallas (Frisco area) area every once in a while and I am amazed by all the development going on over there. Especially with Toyota moving their HQ in that area from Torrance.

Addison has some good restaurants there but that humidity sucks.

Quick Reply: Navigation Maps/Firmware/Gracenotes Updates