GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

popping noise in the front of the suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-13, 03:46 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
Default popping noise in the front of the suspension

Hi i was wondering if any1 have this problem before? this sound is like once a while when the steering wheel is full turn to the right or left. everytime when i try to park my car and turn my wheel all the way to the right and reverse sometimes i hear a pop noise in the front of the suspension. dont know if this normal or what if not then i might bring it to the dealer
Old 08-27-13, 02:14 PM
mcfine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
Hi i was wondering if any1 have this problem before? this sound is like once a while when the steering wheel is full turn to the right or left. everytime when i try to park my car and turn my wheel all the way to the right and reverse sometimes i hear a pop noise in the front of the suspension. dont know if this normal or what if not then i might bring it to the dealer
I had this happen to me a couple of times. The first time when I took the demo home overnight and once with my car. It was turning up into the driveway both times. On my car it sounded almost like it was coming from the roof. Had me looking around frantically to see if I hit something.

I can't replicate it though.
Old 08-28-13, 01:37 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfine
I had this happen to me a couple of times. The first time when I took the demo home overnight and once with my car. It was turning up into the driveway both times. On my car it sounded almost like it was coming from the roof. Had me looking around frantically to see if I hit something.

I can't replicate it though.
I've had the roof thing happen to me a few times. Took it in and they had to replace some things in the roof and sunroof.
Old 08-28-13, 04:27 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
I've had the roof thing happen to me a few times. Took it in and they had to replace some things in the roof and sunroof.
There is a TSIB for the roof pop, I only had it happen once.
Old 08-28-13, 11:55 AM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TSB here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3Pb...it?usp=sharing
Old 08-28-13, 01:02 PM
mcfine
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for that e39ng. Funny my car is later than the vin they listed. Only happened once though. Guess I'll wait and see.
Old 08-28-13, 02:02 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys,

its not the pop roof tsb. Its actually the rear bottom subframe bolts that are no properly tightened causing popping sounds in the car when going up and down driveway with the steering fully turn. We have already few people at my dealership including me that had this problem fixed with tightening the subframe bushing. the Roof TSB did nothing as it was not coming from there.
Old 08-28-13, 04:53 PM
richard203
Racer

Thnx, I was wondering how is the roof tsb affect the sound of the suspension. I'll let my serve guy look at it when my 10k is up. So the problem is just jsut the bolt on the subframe not properly tightened?
Old 08-28-13, 05:43 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Guys,

its not the pop roof tsb. Its actually the rear bottom subframe bolts that are no properly tightened causing popping sounds in the car when going up and down driveway with the steering fully turn. We have already few people at my dealership including me that had this problem fixed with tightening the subframe bushing. the Roof TSB did nothing as it was not coming from there.
Oh well in my case I'm not sure as it really sounded like it came from the roof and was almost like a loud bang my gf thought I busted my rim. That was the only time it happened, should I get it checked or has this problem happened more than once with you.
Old 08-28-13, 06:34 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by richard203
Thnx, I was wondering how is the roof tsb affect the sound of the suspension. I'll let my serve guy look at it when my 10k is up. So the problem is just jsut the bolt on the subframe not properly tightened?
Thats correct. The rear subframe bolts are not tightened to factory specs. I had popping every morning going down the driveway and I kept believing it was coming from front suspension and it felt that way but once my chief mechanic sat in the back seat and I drove up and down a driveway near the dealer he felt and heard it and told me straight up what the problem was. He fixed it in May and the car has no more popping sounds.
Old 08-28-13, 06:35 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Oh well in my case I'm not sure as it really sounded like it came from the roof and was almost like a loud bang my gf thought I busted my rim. That was the only time it happened, should I get it checked or has this problem happened more than once with you.
Actually in my case it was happening every morning from October to May of this year when they finally felt and heard the popping from the rear subframe bolts that transmit the sounds through the cabin and it could be mistaken for interior roof popping. The bolts were tightened and the car is quiet now. Finally. I wouldnt worry about it until it becomes frequent or reoccurs again.
Old 08-28-13, 06:53 PM
richard203
Racer

only sometimes not very often. that why I just want to ask you guys is it normal or wat. lol
Old 12-28-19, 07:38 AM
Brian1072
Driver School Candidate

Default Suspension pop

Hey buddy
sorry to revive an old thread. Having the suspension pop when backing up full turn..not driving forward at all. All subframe bolts are tight..4 on the front subframe and 4 on the rear. Coincidentally I also have a terrible vibration. The vibration comes in around 70 mph. However there will be times where it's perfectly smooth at the same speed. Alignment on the money and tires are balanced. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Guys,