GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

E-Class on the Stubby Side

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-13, 08:18 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E-Class on the Stubby Side

I saw the new E-class commercial on TV and can honestly say the elimination of the stamping around the rear wheel wells make the re-styled E-Class's profile look "stubby". I have not seen the new car on the road. I hope that it was just a bad first impression...nope it looks the same way on Mercedes website gallery.

This is a shame as the E-Class was first on my list when I started shopping for a new car. The GS interior won me over and the new E-Class interior is very much like the previous model year.
Old 05-01-13, 09:08 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a chance to see the car in person on last week while my car was being service. IMO the car doesn't look good even in person. The front end has too much going on. When I think E class I think smooth and elegant. This new model doesn't give me that impression. I still think the previous model GS looks better than the current one. I guess you can call me old school.
Old 05-01-13, 08:53 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It will be interesting to see how this affects sales for MB. They are up in sales in the US more than BMW and Lexus. However, most of the sales increase is from the C-Class and one of their SUVs, not the E-Class. I kinda think they overdid it with the bulky front end, but I drive an F Sport so who am I to criticize bulky front ends?
Old 05-01-13, 09:12 PM
tankton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ Well, Lexus is finding their own stride, but MB has been, for quite some time, quiet, excessive, luxury. Conservative on the outside. Whatever they are doing on the E class, it's not working. The S class form has stayed nearly the same, since I believe Mercedes fears their designers would overdo any facelift. With this familial face strategy of most companies, there is a danger of the biggest cars looking like the smaller ones. Yes, it lends credence to the lessor vehicles, though it simultaneously detracts from the larger ones. I don't know what MB will do with the next S class, since it also has to (hopefully) accommodate former Maybach owners (something BMW and Audi avoid with Rolls Royce and Bently, respectively).
Old 05-02-13, 10:03 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Here in Canada, the MB C-Class dominates their sales. Still, I see between 12 and 18 of the W212 E-Class on our roads a week. For comparison I would say I see between 4 and 5, 4gen GSs on those same roads in a week, mind you the 4 gen GS is in it's first year.

I don't think the US gets the B-Class but the previous version sold well in Canada, for all its minivan looks. The new B-Class generation has been anointed by the gushing platitudes of the Canadian auto press. I would have to agree, it is a wonderful sub-compact and can be optioned with the 2 liter turbo diesel. The thing is the car is in short supply, precious few are imported into Canada, but command a high price. The Lexus CT200 is hard-pressed to compete with the B-Class, save the short supply of the MB product. The CT would need to gain 4 inches in its wheelbase and couple of inches in height to even be in the running.

http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...odel-navi:w246
Old 05-02-13, 08:09 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tankton
^^ Well, Lexus is finding their own stride, but MB has been, for quite some time, quiet, excessive, luxury. Conservative on the outside. Whatever they are doing on the E class, it's not working. The S class form has stayed nearly the same, since I believe Mercedes fears their designers would overdo any facelift. With this familial face strategy of most companies, there is a danger of the biggest cars looking like the smaller ones. Yes, it lends credence to the lessor vehicles, though it simultaneously detracts from the larger ones. I don't know what MB will do with the next S class, since it also has to (hopefully) accommodate former Maybach owners (something BMW and Audi avoid with Rolls Royce and Bently, respectively).
This is what they are doing with the next S Class...

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/30/f...-image-leaked/
Old 05-04-13, 07:38 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Not to be a smart-***, but it looks like MB has a can on tuna in the glove box as standard equipment. What is that thing (last picture)?