GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Soon to be new owner with questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-13, 08:23 AM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're willing to travel to Hillsborough, NJ, I know a clearbra installer who's very good. Uses Xpel Ultimate or regular Xpel depending on which one you want.
Old 03-16-13, 10:59 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNN
Congrats on your future ownership, the deep sea mica is more rare but very beautiful. I haven't seen one with black interior yet and it sounds like you got some nice options on it too. The paint is beautiful but will need some nice attention to keep it clean. I recommend the clear bra especially for that dark paint. Just treat the bra like paint and it will stay clear. Wash it, clay it, and wax it when you do the rest of the car. The line will be almost invisible on the DSM. Why do you want to go aftermarket remote start? Because it turns the car off when you open the door? And the forged wheels should handle the weather well and would look amazing on that nice blue color.
Well it looks like I landed a second job! Cleaning my car every day! For the clear bra, I think I'll just wrap the whole damn thing it to stop swirls/scratches . Probably will save my sanity. The thing is after a few months I'm going to get lazy and not want to wash it every week....
The Xpel looks interesting that it "self heals" Anyone here have the Xpel? Any have any links comparing the too?

I don't mind that the car turns off if you use the factory remote start. I just don't like the range. May as well just get in the car and start it manually.
Old 03-16-13, 01:28 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by puckhead85
Well it looks like I landed a second job! Cleaning my car every day! For the clear bra, I think I'll just wrap the whole damn thing it to stop swirls/scratches . Probably will save my sanity. The thing is after a few months I'm going to get lazy and not want to wash it every week....
The Xpel looks interesting that it "self heals" Anyone here have the Xpel? Any have any links comparing the too?

I don't mind that the car turns off if you use the factory remote start. I just don't like the range. May as well just get in the car and start it manually.
wrapping is always an option . be careful with cleaning it everyday because the more you wipe the chances of instilling marring and swirls become greater. Phil@DD has a black car and he washes it once or twice a month i think. i cut down on the washing also. i used to wash it once a week. once i get a LP or SP i'll go back to washing once a week. i'm skeptical about these products that claim self healing. the LS has self healing clear coat but i've seen a few with marring and swirls all over it. if you don't mind traveling Phil@Detailers Domain does excellent wrapping and clear bra work, he's also a vendor here on CL. and he tucks all his edges.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 03-16-13 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-16-13, 03:08 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All colors actually swirl the same. But as others say, obsidian and DSM will both show swirls more in the right lighting conditions. They key is to try and avoid putting the swirls on there in the first place. No matter what, there is no such thing as a product that will prevent swirls for you better than using simple caution.

I always recommend getting the color you like over compromising because of swirling. It will work out if you are cautious and learn to realize that in the end, it is a car that is meant to be driven and enjoyed and NOT a garage queen. Swirls can also be professionally removed if it gets that bad.

As for PPF, get it if you are worried about swirls. Rock chips are worse! I'm actually having the full hood and fenders wrapped tomorrow by a very good local guy which I've used before who has been at it for almost 10 years. Many of his projects include exotics. I decided on 3M material. I would recommend paying the premium for someone that has a lot of experience at it. The cost is in the labor and a quality install will show.
Old 03-17-13, 09:16 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycs
All colors actually swirl the same. But as others say, obsidian and DSM will both show swirls more in the right lighting conditions. They key is to try and avoid putting the swirls on there in the first place. No matter what, there is no such thing as a product that will prevent swirls for you better than using simple caution.

I always recommend getting the color you like over compromising because of swirling. It will work out if you are cautious and learn to realize that in the end, it is a car that is meant to be driven and enjoyed and NOT a garage queen. Swirls can also be professionally removed if it gets that bad.

As for PPF, get it if you are worried about swirls. Rock chips are worse! I'm actually having the full hood and fenders wrapped tomorrow by a very good local guy which I've used before who has been at it for almost 10 years. Many of his projects include exotics. I decided on 3M material. I would recommend paying the premium for someone that has a lot of experience at it. The cost is in the labor and a quality install will show.
What made you go with 3M? I definitely plan on having a "certified" installer do it.