GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Aftermarket wheels and TPS warning symbol question???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-13, 10:29 AM
1Gunner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this last week.... Installed aftermarket rims and snow tires, along with OEM TPM sensors and definitely had to have them "introduced" to the car to eliminate the yellow symbol.

Fortunately I had read about this on here, and had the dealer agree to do a NC introduction when I bought the car along with the extra set of TPMs.

The TMS was done last week.
Old 02-18-13, 10:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bentleymp2
My message was poorly worded. I'm usually good about making sense, but I clearly did not proof read that message.

Not only did I leave a word out, I also should have gone with the word "oem" in place of "factory".

Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you!
no problem at all, we just misunderstood each other. i think it's always easier to just move the tpms from your factory wheels to the aftermarket wheels. put the aftermarket wheels on and you are good to go. worked on our ls460l and gs350 perfectly.
Old 02-18-13, 12:11 PM
bentleymp2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycs
Are the sensors on the GS location specific? I'm assuming that they ARE since the car can display all 4 tire pressures. My last car was NOT location specific so the sensors on that car can be mixed up when moved from corner to corner (as when getting new wheels).

If they are location specific on the GS ... be sure to re-install them at the same corner of the car they were removed from.
This is a really good point.

Thank you.
Old 02-18-13, 12:55 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are not location specific. How can they be? Seriously people but use your full knowledge. If you were to rotate the tires and the TPMS are programmed into the car system, that wheel that is moved goes with the TPMS and the car will recognize it at the new position. Its not complicated.
Old 02-18-13, 02:22 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
They are not location specific. How can they be? Seriously people but use your full knowledge. If you were to rotate the tires and the TPMS are programmed into the car system, that wheel that is moved goes with the TPMS and the car will recognize it at the new position. Its not complicated.
It would make sense if the TPMS signal is picked up at a central location like in my last car (Infiniti G) which showed a warning light only when one tire is significanlty below the average of the four pressure readings. However when looking at it's OBD error codes (for example when checking for the location of a faulty TPMS sensor), the error code will say WHICH corner is presenting with low pressure making it easier to pinpoint.

Everything would be great if the GS has a signal pickup at each corner of the car, then diagnostics wouldn't be a problem.

The point is I don't know how the system in the GS works (yet) and if the people rotating tires can re-assign sensor locations (or if they even care to). But I'd agree that 9 times out of 10, the sensor location will be a non-issue ... so if moving them from stock wheels to aftermarket wheels; why not just have them back where they came from?