GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Different Woods Inside? Janky

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 08:23 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bnlexus
I'm no expert, but I feel that the GS is more planted especially when it comes to a stop. May be due to the extra weight and/or better center of gravity. Acceleration is fine for the car and the ride is not much different from my GS. I want to say that the GS suspension/brake system is more responsive/sensitive (in a positive way). The ES has 3.5K and mine has close to 5K. The main reason I bought this car over other brands and F Sport was the interior. IMO, ES looks really cheap. Sorry if I offended some ES owners that might wander off here. On the other hand, I think it is informative for those who are deciding between ES and GS. IMO, GS interior is gorgeous even when the trims are not perfectly matched.
Thx. That was helpful. No hijack
intended.
Old 02-16-13, 08:24 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Got the car back and took a look at these... The pieces in the dash matched perfectly to the ones on the windows and the piece by the shift. The steering wheel piece, window control pieces do not have pattern, just one pure shade. It doesn't bother me though. It feels really good to be back in the GS.
Old 02-16-13, 10:57 AM
Leo23
Driver

Same as others here... I noticed early on the streering wheel's grain didn't match the espresso's. it looks black most of the time but its fine with me.
Other parts on the door are piano back no questions about it (it seems wood but I don't know whether it is).

I had the es as a loaner ad as nice as it is it's not comparable to the gs in regard to details and material used (es -more plastic, I didn't like the cup holder section at all) but it compares well in the price range I would think.
The ride in the gs feels quite a bit more solid, among other attributes.
I'm very pleased with the 4gs.... The ability to perform with comfort ad sportiness in the same vehicle it's wonderful. And those seats!!

Remembeing when I crossed bridges made of grating metal pavements with my ex 3GS...the car wandered seemingly dangerously, and that sound... I thought my teeth would be falling off my mouth (but I bet it happens with many cars)

With the 4gs on that same pavement it is absolutely a different experience. Smooth as there is no gratings and barely some sound from the tires. I'm amazed by the improvements in regard to stability and absorption of road imperfections. I'm very pleased by this car.

Last edited by Leo23; 02-16-13 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-16-13, 11:00 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I wonder if its because the wheel is a 3 dimensional shape while the dash and door trim is a flat shape?
Exactly.

One is a flat 2 dimensional piece of wood. The other is a 3 dimensional curved cylinder. There's no way the same grain pattern will look the same when cut into such different shapes.

IN FACT, if the grain pattern on the steering wheel and dash looked the same, that would be strong evidence that the wood is simulated and not natural.
Old 02-16-13, 07:10 PM
LexusVet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree If you look at the GS pics on Lexus .com The steering doesnt match the dash either. Does anyone's match???
Old 02-17-13, 04:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Got the car back and took a look at these... The pieces in the dash matched perfectly to the ones on the windows and the piece by the shift. The steering wheel piece, window control pieces do not have pattern, just one pure shade. It doesn't bother me though. It feels really good to be back in the GS.
The window control pieces aren't wood, they are piano black plastic.

The wheel absolutely has a grain pattern, it just has to be in direct light to see it well because of how dark the stain is.
Old 02-18-13, 02:26 AM
bdizfiz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by e39ng
I took a pic of my steering wheel and the linear espresso wood...looks like they had different grain pattern.

IMAG0019 by e39ng, on Flickr

This is really helpful, and just like what I see.

bn - if you call that matching or similar, you're smoking crack. They are similar colors, but there's nothing matching about them. The way the grain is so light on the dash, and here it looks like a typical grain on any ol' car is a HUGE difference. The whole thing about the linear espresso is that the grain is so much lighter when it gets finished, and yet the grain on the wheel wasn't done this way.

I hear that comments about the 3D vs 2D thing, but they could have cut the wheel differently to get linear graining.

Overall, I don't actually like the linear grain. I'd rather see black wood like my wife's RX has than this linear espresso finish. It would look badass with the black leather (or red, for that matter).
Old 02-18-13, 05:16 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bdizfiz
This is really helpful, and just like what I see.

bn - if you call that matching or similar, you're smoking crack. They are similar colors, but there's nothing matching about them. The way the grain is so light on the dash, and here it looks like a typical grain on any ol' car is a HUGE difference. The whole thing about the linear espresso is that the grain is so much lighter when it gets finished, and yet the grain on the wheel wasn't done this way.

I hear that comments about the 3D vs 2D thing, but they could have cut the wheel differently to get linear graining.

Overall, I don't actually like the linear grain. I'd rather see black wood like my wife's RX has than this linear espresso finish. It would look badass with the black leather (or red, for that matter).
Well, if those dash inserts are actually plastic,
then a change out to piano black with a snap
could be possible.
I would think.

Last edited by noncom23; 02-18-13 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-18-13, 07:35 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

The wheel absolutely has a grain pattern, it just has to be in direct light to see it well because of how dark the stain is.
You are right. I looked more closely and do see a grain pattern on the steering wheel, very subtle.

Originally Posted by bdizfiz
bn - if you call that matching or similar, you're smoking crack. ...
Maybe you are. I never stated those are matched or similar. IMO though, if the patterns were matched, it wouldn't look nice due to 3D vs. 2D.
Old 02-18-13, 12:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Looking at it in the sun today, I can see how you could say they don't match, but I don't find the difference "janky" (whatever that means).
Old 02-18-13, 01:41 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine does not match as well, but I doubt Lexus will do anything about it
Old 02-18-13, 01:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If the wood were a lighter color I could see how I'd be upset...
Old 02-25-13, 01:16 AM
bdizfiz
Driver School Candidate

Looking at it in the sun today, I can see how you could say they don't match, but I don't find the difference "janky" (whatever that means).
Janky means cheap and kinda crappy/knock-off-ish. Putting 2 different wood finishes in the interior is janky...as in not what you'd expect from a top lux brand that is trying to impress the world with each thing is produces and never have bad comments about quality or messing up in design or execution.
Old 02-25-13, 12:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I could see that if the two trims were just outright not a match, but they are very different types of trim (a round steering wheel vs a piece of flat trim) and the color matches even though the wood grain appears different on the two pieces. The stain is so dark, the only time you can tell is when the sun hits the wheel from behind, and even then I never would have noticed it had I not been looking for it.

The trim grain has looked a little different on the steering wheel and flat trim pieces on every Lexus I've owned because they are different shapes, its just the linear espresso wood is so unique.

I think its more you expecting a little bit too much. Yes its a Lexus and a luxury car, but its not a Rolls Royce.
Old 02-25-13, 07:58 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I could see that if the two trims were just outright not a match, but they are very different types of trim (a round steering wheel vs a piece of flat trim) and the color matches even though the wood grain appears different on the two pieces. The stain is so dark, the only time you can tell is when the sun hits the wheel from behind, and even then I never would have noticed it had I not been looking for it.

The trim grain has looked a little different on the steering wheel and flat trim pieces on every Lexus I've owned because they are different shapes, its just the linear espresso wood is so unique.

I think its more you expecting a little bit too much. Yes its a Lexus and a luxury car, but its not a Rolls Royce.
Well said, and I can't believe this thread has gone on for 3 pages. I had a '99 SC300, and the wood on the shift *** was shiny and light while the wood on the dash was more matte and dark. They looked very different but I never thought twice about it.

Anyway, glad I got the F Sport with the leather wheel so I don't need to go out and analyze it.

Quick Reply: Different Woods Inside? Janky