GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

leather seat protectant

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-13, 07:55 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I know it's not high end, but I've used Lexol on all my leather interiors and they have always stayed clean and free of cracks. It has never clogged the perforations either.
Old 01-21-13, 08:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
something about the leather conditioners. i think it dries out the natural oils in the leather. anyway i never use the conditioner either.
Yeah and the effect seems to be cumulative, to me just using a nice, mild neutral cleaner keeps the seats looking great.

If you want to be real cheap what works great is a 10:1 dilution of Woolite & Water. 10 parts water to 1 part Woolite.
Old 01-22-13, 02:24 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I know it's not high end, but I've used Lexol on all my leather interiors and they have always stayed clean and free of cracks. It has never clogged the perforations either.
I think I'm gonna stop by walmart to get one to try out. This really bugs me now. I cant wait for online order.

Originally Posted by modthispny
i bought it on amazon. i really love leather masters cleaner and protectant. while my seats and leather were not dirty at all, i love what the protectant did. the seats are so soft and supple, and the steering wheel is very soft too, grippy, and still maintained the matte look.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i got it from the one stop shop... Detailers Domain. he only has the cleaner and conditioner so as not to confuse you with a bunch of crap you don't need. if you do get it... put on a surgical mask beforehand, that stuff reeks.
Thanks and thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-24-13, 07:06 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I use leather conditioner too but it's really a waste of money because the leather in our car has a polyurethane coating.
No conditioner will penetrate that coating into the leather.
Using conditioners is basically a feel good thing.Although some offer UV protection and others like Leather Masters may prevent light color leather from staining.
Old 01-24-13, 07:13 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Stopped by Walmart on the way home yesterday. Read the instructions on the back... It says not to use on extremely soft leather.... Me thinking if you had no complaint on your carbenet sofa, I should be safe with my flaxen Grabbed a cleaner bottle, tried it on last night... Just followed the instructions (the garage is not very well lit) and was anxious to see it in the morning... It worked! The leather looks like new now. Thanks for the share. Did you condition your leather? How often do you use this stuff on your leather? I do notice some tiny cracks starting on the left side (I guess because this is where we make most rubbing contact when entering/leaving the car). I'm thinking about conditioning and/or using the cleaner on all the seats to prevent the leather from cracking. The heat here is not very friendly at all. It actually melted the rubber button (trunk opener) on my RX.
Old 01-24-13, 02:15 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I use leather conditioner too but it's really a waste of money because the leather in our car has a polyurethane coating.
No conditioner will penetrate that coating into the leather.
Using conditioners is basically a feel good thing.Although some offer UV protection and others like Leather Masters may prevent light color leather from staining.
exactly. this is why the admin of the detailing forums swears by the leather masters cleaner and protectant.