GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Help! Car will not open or start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-12, 11:01 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Just an update - I jumped the car yesterday and it started fine. I am just curious if I left anything on in the car that would drain the battery. I'm usually really good about this kind of stuff.
Old 11-15-12, 11:17 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad to hear

My guess is it went into ACC mode, maybe in a rush or just not paying attn and hit the start button twice?? Anything come on when the car got power again?
Old 11-15-12, 11:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

good to know it's back to normal!!

maybe just monitor it a bit, hopefully just a glitch. maybe you shut off the car before putting it in P? just random thoughts here
Old 11-15-12, 12:47 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ we know you have lots of those random thoughts
Old 11-15-12, 12:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ we know you have lots of those random thoughts
you don't want to know my thoughts on you now
Old 11-15-12, 01:08 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I always knew you had a soft spot for me
Old 11-15-12, 10:22 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Glad to hear

My guess is it went into ACC mode, maybe in a rush or just not paying attn and hit the start button twice?? Anything come on when the car got power again?
The car is supposed to shut off after 15 minutes in Acc mode.

I leave my car on ACC mode while washing it and the car shuts off after 15 minutes
Old 11-16-12, 12:35 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Accidentally left the trunk lid open (easy to do in new GS)

Originally Posted by faifai83
The car is supposed to shut off after 15 minutes in Acc mode.

I leave my car on ACC mode while washing it and the car shuts off after 15 minutes
Yes that sux doesn't it? I once killed my battery by failing to completely close the car's (IS-F) trunk and had to have it jump stated by Lexus Roadside.
Old 11-16-12, 07:29 AM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear

I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago. I had it jumped and had the dealer charge the battery and recheck it in the morning. No problems since. I know I did not leave anything on and did not have the truck open. I finally resolved to thinking that I must have shut it off in drive. But I'm sure I would have noticed the shifter in the morning.

Now that others are experiencing this, I'm thinking it may actually be a problem with the car.
Old 03-10-13, 05:39 PM
lexusmavin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikedozz
Hi Guys,

I have a 2013 GS350 AWD, i woke up this morning and tried to use my key fob to open the car, it would not work, even though the red light was blinking on the key fob. I had to manually open the car with the key. The car would not detect the key fob at all to even start. I'm guessing maybe dead battery? I tried to lock the doors with the button in the car and that would not work either, i had to manually click the lock and have my wife drive me to work. Any ideas or do you think its just the battery and i need a jump?

Thanks and all help is appreciated.
A very similar, if not exact, scenario happened to me twice in a very young GS350. You are not the only one with this issue; see the other posts under "2013 GS350 dead battery". I hope Lexus is making an effort to track down this problem.
Old 03-11-13, 05:38 PM
GM11
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

It happened to me as well two days ago. I broke my arm, wife went to drive me to the emergency room. Lexus dead in the garage so instead of going to the docs we waited at home for roadside assist then watched while they towed it off to the dealer. Dealer checked it out, battery totally drained (I used the car just the day before, turned it off and locked it, no issue); said it might be a "one off" and let's see if it happens again. Ran into my original sales dealer there today and he said he'd never heard of this happening (seems these guys don't keep tabs on this forum?) and he could only suggest maybe I'd left a light on or something.
Vehicle was locked, in park with the doors and trunk closed, lights off. Same thing as the OP here, couldn't access the car with the key next day.
I went away for a month in the middle of winter and it started just fine on my return so I'm struggling to accept that all these incidents (esp in that other thread) are us users doing something inadvertent. The computer should kick in and shut everything down if something's been left on, we paid a lot of money for the technology in this car.
It's not pleasant when you get stranded like that (and in our case we're a one car family). A modern car should start every time 4GS LP AWD owned for 6 months, Toronto...
Old 03-11-13, 08:17 PM
betashave
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to read about you all that have had to deal with this issue. I hope the cause and an effective solution are identified soon. A side benefit of buying my wife this fantastic car was the peace of mind that she would have a new reliable car and not be stranded anywhere. Regardless, it's a good reminder for me to make sure she has jumper cables in the trunk.
Old 03-11-13, 09:14 PM
2013GS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well by my count GM11 makes at least the 12th person who has had this problem. Like you GM11 I am also in a one car family which really sucks when the car breaks down.
Old 03-12-13, 05:22 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GM11
.... he could only suggest maybe I'd left a light on or something. Vehicle was locked, in park with the doors and trunk closed, lights off.... couldn't access the car with the key next day....The computer should kick in and shut everything down if something's been left on.
You're right about the lights shutting off automatically if you forget and leave the switch on. I'm wondering if the cigarette lighter sockets also shut down automatically. On the BMW forum some guys were leaving their cell phone chargers plugged into the lighter sockets overnight and that was running the batteries down, causing them to fail. I hope it is something simple like that because all of these battery failures aren't giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Old 03-12-13, 06:59 AM
12GS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Putting in my experience, my car was only 2300 miles when I experienced the same issue. There was never any indication of any issue until the car just would not start in the morning. Sad thing was the service tech at the original dealer told us on the phone that the battery was not covered! Pissed me off that he would even attempt to pass that off on a new car! Had to call Lexus Roadside and jump the car. They tried to tell me the same thing that I probably left the lights on. I know I didn't. The ran tests and found it was a "dead cell" in the battery and replaced it under warranty. I'm very unhappy that out happened to a car that only 4 months old but more pissed about the dealer service tech trying to tell my wife it was not covered under warranty.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android

Quick Reply: Help! Car will not open or start?