GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4th Generation GS Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-13, 02:51 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I agree 100%, I'm not quite sure what all these manufacturers are seeing that we don't see...
Duh! CAFE standards coming up? Having real-world (not theoretical like Big Three) experience in mainstream performance hybrids positions Lexus to produce CAFE-compliant versions of its most popular vehicles. No, $120k "hybrid" versions of the LS are NOT the future of the company. But lighter, more fuel efficient, somewhat decontented versions of its popular products is not only the way to success - it is the only means of survival.
Old 04-09-13, 02:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I was talking to Blueprint...but thank you for your viewpoint.
Old 04-09-13, 02:57 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

I was talking to Blueprint...but thank you for your viewpoint.
You post to the forum, you hear from the forum...the other thing is called email or PM.
Old 04-09-13, 03:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This forum has rules of conduct, if you would like to have a discussion in a respectful way I am happy to do that.
Old 04-09-13, 03:08 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

This forum has rules of conduct, if you would like to have a discussion in a respectful way I am happy to do that.
You wondered why Lexus and others were putting resources into hybrids when sales figures do not seem to justify the investment. I pointed out a possible reason why. If you object to my gentle ribbing of your wonder at Lexus's behavior, you know and I know that we have dealt very recently with the centrality of CAFE standards to future automotive trends on other threads here on CL.
Old 04-09-13, 05:57 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Then why not say so in your comment on the reveiw?

Then why comment that no discounting/incentives are available on the GS450h with NO regional qualification? Other readers, like me if I did not know better, could reasonably take your comment as applying all over the country as Lexus policy or something.

Once again, you did not mention this was a casual, inconsequential comment by your dealer. The impression you left is that discounts and incentives on GS450h models are not generally available. This is not accurate. You should own up to your error and try to give proper context for future comments.
Duh! CAFE standards coming up? Having real-world (not theoretical like Big Three) experience in mainstream performance hybrids positions Lexus to produce CAFE-compliant versions of its most popular vehicles. No, $120k "hybrid" versions of the LS are NOT the future of the company. But lighter, more fuel efficient, somewhat decontented versions of its popular products is not only the way to success - it is the only means of survival.
You post to the forum, you hear from the forum...the other thing is called email or PM.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in the other thread when I told you to watch how you word things. It seems like you want to start a pissing contest debate again.

Exit this thread.
Old 04-10-13, 01:25 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
There just isnt' a huge market for this car, the Infiniti M35h 5 hybrid, E hybrid all sell very poorly which makes Acura's decision to sell another 70k hybrid when the RLX long name awd comes just dumb. The Panamera hybrid doesn't sell great either.

The fact is there isn't much of a market for expensive hybrids, even if they are great cars like the GS 450h.
http://www.hybridcars.com/march-2013-dashboard/

Last month
58 M hybrids sold
56 GS 450h sold
51 5 series hybrid sold
25 E class hybrid sold
11 Porsche Panamera hybrid sold

Not sure why anyone chased Lexus into this market to be honest....there are no buyers.... And this is coming from the previous GS 450h owner. I think the current model offers a true "Best of Both World", MPG/Sport but we didn't have interest in the bamboo interior and wanted an F-sport (which is offered everywhere but here).
The funny thing is, in the UK, according to what I hear online, the 2013 GS450h sells as well or better than the GS250. Perhaps spywolf can confirm this anecdote?

If true, it's probably due to the strict tax penalties on C02 emissions in the UK and possibly the EU nations.

I think the correct perspective on cars like GS450h, M35h and AH5 should be that of "Performance cars" rather than that of fuel sipping hybrids. Consider how many V8s BMW, MB sell?

Performance hybrid sale numbers should be considered next to those of V8 sedans.

It's when the GS300h, IS300h with (full blown hybrid fuel economy advantages) arrive in the US that we can full appreciate how receptive the (US) market is to luxury hybrids.
Old 04-10-13, 07:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by natnut
It's when the GS300h, IS300h with (full blown hybrid fuel economy advantages) arrive in the US that we can full appreciate how receptive the (US) market is to luxury hybrids.
This is a good point. I see a LOT of ES300h's as an example, I think I see more 300hs than 350s.
Old 11-18-13, 07:21 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Edmunds

What We Bought
All 2013 Lexus GS sedans were 350s. No other trim level was offered. Standard equipment on the GS 350 was a 3.5-liter, 306-horsepower V6 engine, a 6-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive. There were options available, however.

We opted for a GS 350 with the F Sport and Dynamic Handling packages. The 1st (for $5,690) added 19-inch wheels, summer tires, adaptive suspension, variable-ratio steering and upgraded brakes. The 2nd included active rear steering for another $1,700. It was impossible to find a car with just these 2 options. Rather than wait to order our ideal car, we chose to purchase soon. The decision landed us a vehicle with far more extras than we wanted.

Our 2013 Lexus GS 350 had it all. In addition to the F Sport and Dynamic Handling packages, it had a blind-spot monitoring system, head-up display, Mark Levinson stereo system, Intuitive park assist, pre-collision system, adaptive cruise control, paint protection film and a 12.3-inch infotainment screen. This car had $16,000 in optional equipment and a $63,427 price tag. We negotiated the figure to $58,377 and drove away in our new Lexus.

Our Impressions

"I'll have to admit that previous years of Lexus GS mediocrity had lowered my expectations about the new 2013 GS 350. But after spending time with our long-term test car, I've come away very impressed. Of some significance, I find our GS fun to drive. Granted, a lot of that comes from the optional F Sport package that our car has, but I mention it because it's a rare quality these days. I can point to midsize luxury sedans that are certainly capable and sporty (the latest 5 Series, for instance) but don't really engage me as a driver. Our GS, in contrast, makes me want to search out fun roads."Brent Romans

"The previous-generation Lexus GS 350 didn't even rank among premium sport sedans. It was a nice, comfy, well-built luxury car, but really, it was a rear-drive ES. This 2013 Lexus GS 350 F Sport is so different from that car.... I feel OK calling it a sport sedan, or certainly a sporty midsize luxury sedan, and I think it's now my favorite car in the class. It feels far less isolating and encumbered by its electronics than the current 528i and 535i. It reminds me a bit of the Audi A6, except this Lexus has much better steering feel and its V6 sounds fantastic when you peg the throttle." Erin Riches

"I've lately spent some quality time in our long-term GS 350, and I'm finding this a very well-executed sedan. For starters, its V6 punches the GS around with such authority (Toyota's 3.5-liter 2GR-FSE V6 has always been an overachiever) that a V8 is not strictly necessary. Did I just type those words? Great throttle response, too. And the steering, well... it's the best steering in a Lexus sedan to date. It's quick, linear, builds effort nicely and generally feels more honest than that of the current 5 Series. The rear-wheel-steering system that's part of the F Sport package is truly seamless in its operation.... The chassis tuning strikes a fine balance between comfort and ability. This is a car that's got plenty of comfort for a long-haul road trip but isn't afraid of a corner."Jason Kavanagh

"Lexus still has a way to go when it comes to making its engines look good, but it has learned how to make its engines feel good. The 3.5-liter V6 in our GS has been around in various forms for what seems like forever. From Camrys to RAV4s to pickup trucks, it's been in just about everything Toyota, not to mention much of the Lexus lineup. It's never felt special, though.... It's responsive, gutsy in the midrange and even sounds throaty at full throttle. Part of it has to do with the quick shifts from the automatic, but the engine is always ready with usable power. It's not the V6 I'm used to in a Lexus and it's definitely 1 of the things about this GS that makes it feel so un-Lexus like." Ed Hellwig

"I drove our long-term Lexus GS 350 from Los Angeles to Palo Alto and back in 2 days. That's 700-plus miles of interstate and California freeways in less than 48 hours. When I emerged from the GS the final time I remember looking back at its bug-ridden, gaping grille and its once-clean flanks now covered in grime and feeling a sense of connection with the machine.... For me, this was a 1st. I've never had such an exchange with a Lexus sedan. It was emotional. The 700-plus miles were covered in comfort and a quiet cocoon, as you would expect from a Lexus, but this car offered more. I enjoyed the trip. I felt like I had driven a car. I had an experience. This might be the 1st Lexus sedan that allows you to experience the journey and not just the arrival." Scott Oldham

"iDrive. COMAND. MMI. Now, Remote Touch. How does Lexus stack up? Let's start with the good. The controller and palm rest are well-placed and just feel right under your hand. Moving the mouselike toggle pad is as intuitive as interfaces get. The simulated detents are incredibly helpful, clever and just plain cool. The graphics look rather dated, but at least they're legible.... Here's where it could use some help. The menus and tabs aren't all that intuitive. After a few days I started to 'get it' and navigating around the various systems got a little easier.... All the stuff you need is there, it's just rearranged and you need to figure out the logic behind it.... The staff here is split on what interface is best. Personally, I think Audi's MMI system is the best.... I'd place Remote Touch in 2nd place.... I'm OK with iDrive.... Mercedes' COMAND is probably my least favorite." Mark Takahashi

"I get that car manufacturers want their products to be special and different. But seriously, who sat in front of this system and said, 'Yes, this is the 1 we should go with.' Why make us toggle around with the square whatchamacallit? It's like a mouse that is set to move too fast. I always over-jump the commands I want. I like that is has a large screen but the back and forth is frustrating.... (This system) takes too much of your time and attention. It's as distracting as texting. As long as a system has good sound and does useful things like keep you warm or cool and send you in the right direction when you're lost, that's all we need. This system could be so much easier to use. Clear and simple is always best."Donna DeRosa

"Our GS 350 has the really expensive F Sport package which includes the really, really nice 16-way F Sport driver seat with adjustable side bolsters, lumbar and, most importantly, an 'extendable lower cushion,' a.k.a. thigh support. This range of adjustment is a German-carmaker thing so it's surprising to find it here. Not only does the extendable lower cushion extend quite a ways, but it does so electronically and not mechanically. Considering this, the seats alone might be worth the price of the F Sport package."Mike Magrath

"If you have to use your GS 350 to shuttle family/friends/co-workers around, the people sitting in back should be pretty comfortable. The outboard positions are nicely contoured and are raised to offer useful thigh support. There's also plenty of padding on the rear door armrests and center armrest. The center position isn't suitable for adults given its high perch and the hump on the floor, but that's pretty typical for this class. Legroom is generous. The only potential issue I noticed was headroom; anybody taller than 6 feet will likely be bumping his or her head on the headliner. And if you go by the spec sheet, the GS 350's rear headroom is a bit less than what you'll find in a 5 Series or E-Class. But overall I feel like I could take a nice snooze back here, which is always a good sign." Brent Romans

"Official trunk space is listed at 14.3 cubic feet, which is a tad small for this class of car. Still, it proved to be sufficient to hold 2 medium suitcases, a small suitcase and a duffel bag. 1 thing I noticed after I took the photo was that the GS has the 'gooseneck' style of trunk lid hinges. I couldn't actually close the lid since the left suitcase in the photo was in the way of the hinge's downward path. Not a huge deal, as I just repositioned the suitcases. But it could be an issue if you frequently use the GS's trunk for a lot of cargo carrying."Brent Romans

Maintenance & Repairs

Regular Maintenance:
The 2013 Lexus GS 350 requested routine service at 5,000-mile intervals. So we visited Lexus of Santa Monica at 5K, 10K, 15K and 20K miles. The 1st 2 visits were on the house. The 2nd 2 were out-of-pocket.

Service Campaigns:
There was 1 service campaign on our GS 350 during this test. It required that the internal trunk release be replaced. We had this performed at the 15,000-mile service visit.

Fuel Economy and Resale Value

Observed Fuel Economy:
The EPA estimated fuel economy for the 2013 Lexus GS 350 at 23 mpg combined (19 city/28 highway). We averaged 22 mpg over the course of our test. Our best single tank was 30 mpg and covered 422 miles.

Resale and Depreciation:
We accumulated 20,940 miles on our 2013 Lexus GS 350. Edmunds' TMV® Calculator valued the vehicle at $47,431 based on a private-party sale. The market did not seem to support this price, as CarMax offered us $40,000 and the best we could muster from a private party was $41,000. This made for 30-percent depreciation from our paid price of $58,377. We were disappointed.

Summing Up

Pros: Fun to drive with the performance enhancements of the F Sport and Dynamic Handling packages. Build quality is top-notch.

Cons: The Remote Touch infotainment controller was not universally accepted. Resale value was lower than expected.

Bottom Line: This is the best-performing Lexus GS ever, offering performance with minimal ride quality compromise. Remote Touch was considered over-complicated by some.
Old 11-18-13, 10:48 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Although I have owned a 2nd gen 2004 GS 430 and a 06' GS 300 and a 07 GS 450h I can honestly say I have loved this car from day one and it doesn't seem to disappoint on any day rain or shine. I have driven a BMW 5 series and didn't like it and many of my family owns BMW X5 and 5 series. Every time I go into a deal to help them its always why don't you switch to BMW and my answer is always I love my car and my Lexus. Coming from 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen I can say I think they got it spot on with this GS. My only issue with this GS I wish there was more power and also that the blasted backup camera would work when I put in reverse not after I have already backed up.
Old 11-18-13, 09:00 PM
LexFather

^^^ agreed.. The 4GS is night and day from the 3GS outside acceleration. Nice review and thoughts from multiple reviewers.
Old 11-18-13, 09:05 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
The EPA estimated fuel economy for the 2013 Lexus GS 350 at 23 mpg combined (19 city/28 highway). We averaged 22 mpg over the course of our test. Our best single tank was 30 mpg and covered 422 miles.
how is this possible
I get mid 19s