GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

A/C weak but refrigerant okay-- bad sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 07:26 AM
jpsc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C weak but refrigerant okay-- bad sensor?

The A/C is not cooling well in my 2007 GS350. The refrigerant is okay and there are no leaks. I've noticed a few quirky temperature issues over the last year. For example, temp outside is 50 and heat won't blow hot air at the 80-degree setting; I have to select the HOT setting to get hot air instead of cool. I'm suspecting a bad sensor, but I don't know where it's located (or if there are more than one) in this vehicle. This is just a guess. Any advice?
Old 02-23-17, 08:13 AM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

theres an interior temp sensor in front of the shifter somewhere in the console. this will normally affect the temp settings in automatic mode. if you manually set the temp hi and it still doesnt get hot then you could be looking at the blend door sticking or it lost its calibration. May need to run a scan to test and see whats going on.
Old 02-23-17, 04:42 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

If you have already tested the amount of refrigerant in the ac system, then you may have blockage to your condenser. Pop the hood open with an water hose clean out the fins to your radiator and condenser. See if there is any blockage, maybe from dirt/mud/leaves/sand etc. Usually between the radiator and the condenser youll find a lot of dirt sandwiched in between.

The next thing I would check for is to make sure the secondary radiator fan kicks on when the AC is turned on the AC panel. If it does not turn on you may have a bad fan, a relay, or thermo switch.
Old 02-28-17, 11:44 AM
LexLova
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
If you have already tested the amount of refrigerant in the ac system, then you may have blockage to your condenser. Pop the hood open with an water hose clean out the fins to your radiator and condenser. See if there is any blockage, maybe from dirt/mud/leaves/sand etc. Usually between the radiator and the condenser youll find a lot of dirt sandwiched in between.

The next thing I would check for is to make sure the secondary radiator fan kicks on when the AC is turned on the AC panel. If it does not turn on you may have a bad fan, a relay, or thermo switch.

i can can be wrong, but in the 3rd gen even with hvac sys off, it was designed to allow outside air in, which in turn combats air conditioning. Only way to stop this flow of warm air is to manually close vents, defeating purpose of the vents for air conditioning purposes. Test this theory in y'all's cars, maybe I'm crazy. My 2nd (our beloved 2nd) doesn't do this as most cars shouldn't, this is one of many dire flaws of our "beloved" 3GS. I wish Lexus did better. Imo after the 05 GS, things went down hill as far as quality control and R&D is concerned. If anyone's vent DO NOT vent engine / outside 24/7 while vents are open lmk