GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tire recommendations for 2009 gs350 awd

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-16, 08:38 AM
Hasman69
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Tire recommendations for 2009 gs350 awd

Need some tire recommendations and fast. Last week one of my tires had a flat and cant be fixed so in the market to replace all 4. So just to give you some background, I had the OEM DUNLOP SP 5000 Run flats. The ride was a little harsh and noisy so decided to look for something more quiet. After doing a lot of research went to Discount Tire and got 4 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 and I don't like them at all. The ride is too soft and mushy.
Now I know I was looking for something more quiet but didnt think I would have to sacrifice on the handling so much not to mention they looked great, nice and wide.
So basically I am looking for something equivalent to the Dunlop SP 5000 run flats but like in an all season non run flat version. Preferably not as loud and not as harsh but definitely need something that will not turn my GS into a Buick.
I drive on average about 6000 miles a year so don't really care about tread life that much. Most of my rides are short and in town and Chicago does not have the best streets so something a little softer would be nice without sacrificing the performance and something that does good in snow. Not sure how long I have to exchange these at Discount Tire if they will let me exchange them at all.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Hasman69; 10-29-16 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-29-16, 12:08 PM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased the Michelins A/S 3+ (not the 3).. The 3+ are a bit more refined.. My experince with these tires after about 2000 miles:
Sidewalls are softer than I prefer, this is felt in the cornering primarily, but I'm not typically aggressive in the corners, I tend to spill things.
These are a quiet tire for A/S, no complaints there.
MPG, about the same as the dunlops that I had previously.
The overall confort/ride is very good to excellent, I think this is where these tires shine. If your travelling long distances, vacation or otherwise, you may find much creature comfort in the ride.
So, I would rate these 8 out of 10 (stars), overall value.
Not sure I would go the A/S route next time around, I think there are better choices in a non all season tire.
Old 10-29-16, 01:36 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I have the Michelin pilot sports, and I think the noise level is good and the handling is fantastic. They've seemed to wear fairly well even though I drive aggressively.
Old 10-30-16, 01:33 AM
drydeniv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just not ziex...

The Hankook ventus v12 evo that my '10 3GS 350 had on them were pretty good, I thought - but I'm not high-performance minded. They handled well in rain ( they never saw snow), seemed fairly quiet and smooth to me. They just didn't last all that long in the humidity of south florida ( 3y, ~20k).

I would NOT recommend the Falken ziex ze329 series. I had to replace all of my Hankooks with these Falkens on short notice (two of my hankook tires nearly blew on a long road trip in mid-summer heat). The Falkens are loud and I can feel (and hear) their imbalance in the steering wheel (though it's improved a fair amount after several balancing and alignment attempts). My Lexus dealer has told me they are 'too cheap,' and that I just need to replace them if I want my 'lexus' feel back, which may well be true.
These were probably not on anyone's radar to begin with, just thought I'd throw in my little 'avoid these' 2c.
Old 11-01-16, 12:16 PM
Hasman69
Driver

So I have narrowed it down 2 tires, the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.
Looking at the reviews on Tirerack.com, the Pirelli P Zero seem to be better as an all rounder (Dry and Wet handling) as I do get a bit of snow in Chicago.
But performance wise, it looks like the Michelin Pilot Sport 3+ are better, with the Pirelli trailing right behind.
Talked to Discount Tire and the rep there recommends the Pirellis over the Michelins.
Reading all the forums here, looks like the Pilot Sports are favored with little to no opinions on the Pirellis.
So any one with Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus out there, I would appreciate your 2 cents.
I basically want something fun to drive and corners well with all season handling and not too noisy.
I might be in the minority, but liked the ride of the OEM Dunlops run flats. The handling was great, just looking for something like that in a non run flat.
Old 11-01-16, 02:12 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 795 Likes on 688 Posts

Check out the Michelin primacy great tires and smooth quiet ride. Its not as sporty as the pilot sports but more likely they'll get better mileage. I think its an oem tire
Old 11-01-16, 02:33 PM
Hasman69
Driver

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Check out the Michelin primacy great tires and smooth quiet ride. Its not as sporty as the pilot sports but more likely they'll get better mileage. I think its an oem tire
Thanks for the reply ibidu1.
But see that is the thing, I want something sporty. I drive on average about 500 miles a month so not so much concerned about the treadwear and mpg.
I got the Contnental Extreme Contact Dws06 last week and don't care for the way my car corners now. Yeah they are smooth and quiet but I didn't get an ES, I got the GS so I could have fun driving it and pushing it a little.