GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS intermittently dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-16, 10:18 PM
Fletchdogg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS intermittently dies

About 15x now over the last year, I get in the car, press the brake, the green light comes on and half way through the start-up, the car locks up. Dead, nothing. The brake feels stiff, the key fob will not open the trunk, nor will it lock or unlock the doors, no more green or orange light on the start button. Completely dead.
The last time it happened, I opened the door, closed it again and everything reset. It came back "alive", the navigation system rebooted, the air was off and my clock had been reset.
Some days this happens in a matter of a minute or two and other days it takes ten min to reset.
Any ideas why? Is it a faulty ground? Not sure why it would automatically reset on its own.

Last edited by Fletchdogg; 06-20-16 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 07:19 AM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Someone here has had a similar issue i remember. Do you wash your car often? Think the reason was the roof antenna seal was leaking and water would get in and run down the wire then short out the nav screen and starter button
Old 06-21-16, 07:42 AM
Fletchdogg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SILENTM
Someone here has had a similar issue i remember. Do you wash your car often? Think the reason was the roof antenna seal was leaking and water would get in and run down the wire then short out the nav screen and starter button
That's good thinking, but my car is way overdue for a wash. Truly not had it in for awhile. Would a short like that, reset itself within a few minutes?
Old 06-21-16, 12:54 PM
rnb4life
Driver School Candidate

I had this problem few times this year, it could be your alarm system went on and drained your battery.

I was in a restaurant one time, came out after around 2 hours, the alarm was on but with a fainted sound. I had a dash cam and radar detector plugged in, so when the alarm was on, all the electronics was turned on.
I have all the symptoms you have except mine didn't reset when i open and close my doors. My electric trunk won't open too, i had to open with key to get my booster cable.

When the second time this occur to me, I thought it's my battery or a bad alternator, but i went to dealer they checked everything and said everything is normal, they even kept my car overnight just to make sure its OK in the morning with cold start.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by rnb4life; 06-21-16 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 12:57 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I'd try replacing the battery in the key fob as well. I had my car half start and die a few times too until my key fob completely died and could only start the car when i held the fob right next too the push button
Old 06-21-16, 04:33 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bad battery?
Old 06-21-16, 08:26 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SILENTM
Think the reason was the roof antenna seal was leaking and water would get in and run down the wire then short out the nav screen and starter button
Sounds like the automotive equivalent of rabies!

Originally Posted by Fletchdogg
About 15x now over the last year, I get in the car, press the brake, the green light comes on and half way through the start-up, the car locks up. Dead, nothing.
Does everything work normally once the car is running?
Old 06-22-16, 07:18 AM
GStatus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issues with start-up (Intermittent as well)

Hi, I'm also having the same issues. Sometimes I would get in the car, press the brake and then the car locks up and everything resets. (Air-con, Clock, auto-power window and sunroof, MPG and memory seats etc would all reset...) I would need to press the brake again and it always starts up on the second try. Its annoying because everything gets reset and concerning because it is happening more often the past year. Anyone have any ideas that would help us? I don't think its the battery in the fob because we get a warning when that battery is low. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Fletchdogg
About 15x now over the last year, I get in the car, press the brake, the green light comes on and half way through the start-up, the car locks up. Dead, nothing. The brake feels stiff, the key fob will not open the trunk, nor will it lock or unlock the doors, no more green or orange light on the start button. Completely dead.
The last time it happened, I opened the door, closed it again and everything reset. It came back "alive", the navigation system rebooted, the air was off and my clock had been reset.
Some days this happens in a matter of a minute or two and other days it takes ten min to reset.
Any ideas why? Is it a faulty ground? Not sure why it would automatically reset on its own.