GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Is this the best way to repair broken paint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-16, 03:56 PM
plainview
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this the best way to repair broken paint?

I bought a Mercury metallic CPO '11 GS 350 a couple weeks ago. After I got the car home I discovered a small, about .5" place on the front of the hood where the paint is broken. I was at the delear tonight and they agreed it needed addressed and offered to send it over to the body shop. The salesman described that they would paint and "blend that area". I believe he had a brief discussion with a manager and the service manager. He assured me that it would match and I would never be able to tell. He also said that if they thought they could not make it a perfect match they would paint the whole hood, although I don't expect this outcome. My question is, is it possible for them to "spot" that in to a point of not being able to detect it? And I'm assuming they would need to clear coat the whole hood either way they do it? I'd love to hear from anyone with paint experience. I'll try to post a pic of the area.

Old 02-11-16, 07:00 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven the same problem... the best way is to repaint it... I'm going to try and experiment eventually where I follow autodetailing methods but... its too cold in NY....
Old 02-11-16, 09:58 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 792 Likes on 685 Posts

paint matching metallic grey is tougher then most colors. Have them spot repair it, if the painter is good should be able to match it.
Old 02-14-16, 04:29 AM
haromania
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be very careful listening to painting advice from a salesman. Unless he's actually worked in the body shop and or painted cars before, he's not knowledgeable enough to explain the process intelligently or have any idea what the process entails. Often times when you have a small damaged area like that, the shop will repair that area, but then you're left with a primer covered area that can sometimes be twice as large as the original flaw you fixed that needs to be "painted". What their most likely going to do, is apply color over the repaired area only, and lightly dust some of the new color past the repaired area and into the areas that aren't covered in primer so as to make it appear to be a perfect match, even if it isn't. Sometimes people call this "blending within", but the entire panel will then be cleared. After the clear is applied, and assuming the painted applied the color correctly, the clear will bring everything together and you should have an invisible repair. If the damaged area is to close to another painted panel, and if they are concerned enough about a good match, they will go into the adjacent panel using the exact same philosophy. They may only need to apply very little color to the adjacent panel, right where it butts up to the repaired panel, then they will clear that entire adjacent panel as well. That's what he is most likely trying to say.
Old 02-14-16, 05:13 AM
plainview
Rookie

Originally Posted by haromania
I would be very careful listening to painting advice from a salesman. Unless he's actually worked in the body shop and or painted cars before, he's not knowledgeable enough to explain the process intelligently or have any idea what the process entails. Often times when you have a small damaged area like that, the shop will repair that area, but then you're left with a primer covered area that can sometimes be twice as large as the original flaw you fixed that needs to be "painted". What their most likely going to do, is apply color over the repaired area only, and lightly dust some of the new color past the repaired area and into the areas that aren't covered in primer so as to make it appear to be a perfect match, even if it isn't. Sometimes people call this "blending within", but the entire panel will then be cleared. After the clear is applied, and assuming the painted applied the color correctly, the clear will bring everything together and you should have an invisible repair. If the damaged area is to close to another painted panel, and if they are concerned enough about a good match, they will go into the adjacent panel using the exact same philosophy. They may only need to apply very little color to the adjacent panel, right where it butts up to the repaired panel, then they will clear that entire adjacent panel as well. That's what he is most likely trying to say.
Thanks for the info. Most of what you described is what I imagined the process to be, but was not exactly sure. Of course my major concern is this thing getting fixed to the point where it is not noticeable. After spending very good money on this car I'm not exactly sure I have many other options. Even though it's probably not an option, I'd hate to write the whole car off just because of this little area. Hopefully at some point I will have an opportunity to have a conversation with the person actually doing the work or someone in the service dept. directly that is most knowledgeable. The salesman was just acting as a liaison. I'm thinking that chances of any paint work on an adjacent panel should be slim because that place is maybe 2" up from the very bottom of the hood not too far from center, maybe 3". Supposed to get a phone call tomorrow to set this thing up. Really kind of sucks I scrutinized over this car for as long as I did and finally find one and something like this happens.

Last edited by plainview; 02-14-16 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-14-16, 05:43 AM
haromania
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your paint issue is no big deal, at all. Don't over think it. It's just paint, not some one off magic pixie dust that can't be replicated. Any shop who repairs Lexus's will do you a fine job and you're worrying about nothing. I would advise against holding this against the place who sold it to you. Even though it was a CPO, it's still a used car and no amount of money paid for a used car makes it as good as new. There are two things I am always talking to people about; "Bent frames" and paint work. Neither are anywhere near the nightmare so many make it out to be.
Old 02-14-16, 06:54 AM
plainview
Rookie

Originally Posted by haromania
Your paint issue is no big deal, at all. Don't over think it. It's just paint, not some one off magic pixie dust that can't be replicated. Any shop who repairs Lexus's will do you a fine job and you're worrying about nothing. I would advise against holding this against the place who sold it to you. Even though it was a CPO, it's still a used car and no amount of money paid for a used car makes it as good as new. There are two things I am always talking to people about; "Bent frames" and paint work. Neither are anywhere near the nightmare so many make it out to be.
Well that's good to hear. I'm on the OCD side anyway but even more so with a new big purchase and things in which I take a lot of pride. The dealership has been great so far, I simply had to point out the paint to the dealer and they agreed to repair and were just as concerned as I was about it, which was nice. It was very hassle free. I appreciate your vote of confidence.

Last edited by plainview; 02-14-16 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-14-16, 07:03 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 792 Likes on 685 Posts

Used car dealerships many are known to use mobile spot repair guys to do there small stuff instead of running it through the shop paint shop. Many of these guys are good as they also work at auctions, carmax etc. But the product they use are not going to be the same quality. Because many will charge $150 bucks to paint a panel.

Ask them who will do the repair. As haromania said its not a big deal even if the mobile guy sprayed your panel it should still look flawless for many years.
Old 02-14-16, 07:17 AM
plainview
Rookie

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Used car dealerships many are known to use mobile spot repair guys to do there small stuff instead of running it through the shop paint shop. Many of these guys are good as they also work at auctions, carmax etc. But the product they use are not going to be the same quality. Because many will charge $150 bucks to paint a panel.

Ask them who will do the repair. As haromania said its not a big deal even if the mobile guy sprayed your panel it should still look flawless for many years.
My understating is that it will be done at the paint/ body shop of the Lexus dealership where I purchased the vehicle. I'm assuming this would be he best option for who does the repair.
Old 02-23-16, 05:26 PM
plainview
Rookie

Well I'm still attempting to have this repair done. Had the car to the dealer once for the sales manager to look at. Once again they have totally agreed to do any necessary repairs and have said a CPO car should not have been on the lot with paint damage. Now they are back to debating if just that area will need addressed by spotting or fading it in or if the whole hood will need painted. Im supposed to take the car on Monday to drop it off so the body shop can make a determination and then do the appropriate repair this week. I'm pleased that they are going to repair it but my concern is the paint matching and what that could to the resale value. Anyone have any comments or advice?
Old 03-21-16, 05:57 AM
plainview
Rookie

Okay, so the saga continues. Recently got the car back from the dealership and after I had a chance to check it out in different lighting it seems that the paint where they did the fading in is a different shade and is darker than the rest of the hood. I don't know if the guy that comes around once a week to do touch up work did this or the body shop. This didn't seem right to me so I sent an email to the owner of the dealership as well as the GM. I received a reply within a couple hours to bring the car back up. My questions to the forum are: is this acceptable? Is this as good as it can get or can a skilled painter get this to match better? Should they just paint the whole hood? What are the odds if they do that it won't match the fenders? I never imagined something so small would turn into this. Thanks in advance for any input.
Attached Thumbnails Is this the best way to repair broken paint?-photo269.jpg   Is this the best way to repair broken paint?-photo431.jpg   Is this the best way to repair broken paint?-photo76.jpg   Is this the best way to repair broken paint?-photo788.jpg  
Old 03-21-16, 07:13 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see things like this happen way too often. It has happened to me many times as well. The problem usually is with the way the customer interacts with said business/s.. From my experience, if you do not know what you are entitled to- You will be lied to and cheated out of your hard earned cash. Now, for someone like me- Who knows a little about a lot- I tend to keep my mouth shut out of respect and it is after all how i see it, how someone else earns their keep. I am not going to go tell a welder who has welded for 30 years that he is welding something the wrong way.. It just does not work like that (Even if he missed a few steps).

My personal opinion on your current situation, if it were me- I would ask them politely if they would repaint it (the whole hood, or the specific area) properly. Any competent painter will be able to match it. The hard part is knowing whether or not they are competent. There is always a catch that I have to deal with.

I learned to just live with it most of the time until I feel I am losing something beyond my own pride.

Good luck

Last edited by Skylar978; 03-22-16 at 06:32 AM.