GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Front suspension wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-15, 03:42 PM
Steve2424
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Front suspension wear

Hey all. In the coming week I'll be visiting my mechanic to inspect my car, and will have him look over the car -- specifically the front-end suspension (driver's side mainly). I believe my driver's side wheel bearing is shot (sounds like a helicopter gyration when rolling and increases in noise the faster I drive and vice versa). I found wheel bearings thru Rockauto, but unsure on which company/part to look at IF this part happens to need replacing. I found a Timken wheel bearing (#4356030030 -- $144 -- only 12-month warranty) and a Dura International (#29594008 -- $71 -- 12mo/12k mile warranty). Is either better? I would prefer something as close to OEM as possible. I included the prices since they vary greatly, but do not know which is better, or if either of these options are the ones I should look at since Rockauto had a few other brands. **Timken had a heart icon next to it being it was a "popular part."

With respect to front axles, I found an A-1 Cardone (#4342030020 -- $97) front-left cv 1/2 shaft assembly as well. Is this company good to use for when needing to change parts? If I do happen to need an axle replaced I would do both -- is this thinking flawed?

I also think my driver's side control arm is shot (upper or lower I am not sure) but Rockauto had no parts available in this section.

I can almost guarantee my wheel bearing is shot with my control arms being a close second and any insight on these parts, or if I should look elsewhere would be greatly appreciated. I have off from work next week and am planning to use that time to get all the necessary maintenance and any replacing taken care of.

Thanks!
Old 12-21-15, 05:09 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Timken is my vote
Old 12-21-15, 05:17 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It sounds like the wheel bearing is shot. On my ls430, I purchased a wheel bearing from Sewell. From what I recall it was a bit more than the timken. Maybe lexus of ATL has a similar deal/price.

I've used the A1 Cardone cv shaft as well on the ls430 and had no issues for 50k until the car was totalled. I doubt your cv axle needs to be replaced unless its leaking oil from the boot. I snapped mine when I spun in the rain and hit a curb hard. (I had 2 piece brake rotors/ cracked carrier, and a bunch of other fun stuff...)
Old 01-01-16, 05:41 PM
Steve2424
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alchemist
Timken is my vote
Thanks. I was thinking this too.

Originally Posted by tcr101
It sounds like the wheel bearing is shot. On my ls430, I purchased a wheel bearing from Sewell. From what I recall it was a bit more than the timken. Maybe lexus of ATL has a similar deal/price.

I've used the A1 Cardone cv shaft as well on the ls430 and had no issues for 50k until the car was totalled. I doubt your cv axle needs to be replaced unless its leaking oil from the boot. I snapped mine when I spun in the rain and hit a curb hard. (I had 2 piece brake rotors/ cracked carrier, and a bunch of other fun stuff...)

I had taken my car to get inspected by my mechanic and he found a couple issues without getting into the suspension. I'll need a brand new set of tires since my driver's side front tire is wearing unevenly due to periods of being overinflated and the middle portion wearing away faster from the ground contact over time. He put the car on a lift and fiddled with each corner to see if any irregular play was present to which he wasn't able to diagnose anything. He also drove it for a few minutes before going back to the shop to get on the lift and from the road test he sensed nothing off about the car. I'm still a little skeptical, but do recall when a tire had a bubble on the sidewall and the annoyance it caused with road feel and comfort.

After the winter season settles I'll splurge on a set of good tires to have all 4 corners matching. Right now I have a Pirelli P Zero Nero on my driver's side, a continental contacpro on my passenger front and michelins in the rear (these came with the car and the other 2 were originally replaced with the Pirelli's which then once caught the bubble and was replaced with the continental). The Pirelli tire is a directional one which my mechanic also mentioned he wasn't a fan of. I notice a lot of members have had good results with Continental's tire offerings for this car so I'll do some research and also look into what members here have chosen mostely and go that route. Currently at 71,XXX miles and still running strong although I need to do the plugs badly. This week I was hoping to do so, but didn't have even an hour to spare without a car.

Thanks for the replies guys!