GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

hood strut? DIY? anyone tackle this yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 01:21 AM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default hood strut? DIY? anyone tackle this yet?

HI all,

so my hood strut and trunk strut might be failing on me, the hood kept on slamming my head while i was doing oil change, did a forum search didn't find any on 3GS, but on 2GS and some earlier LS,

anyone with 3GS did this yet? was told it could happen because of colder weather but with my car over 8 years and 100k miles i wouldn't feel guilty replacing them,

should i go back to OE? mylparts want $68 per side i think that's kinda steep, also found some forum search some member highly recommend "strongarm" brand and they are like $30-$40 a pair, anyone have experiences with them?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-30-15, 04:53 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

it slips me now, but several folks were buying a brand off amazon a while back. Maybe someone remembers the brand and can post it
Old 11-30-15, 11:10 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 794 Likes on 687 Posts

Try your local auto parts store they should carry them in stock.
Old 11-30-15, 07:57 PM
snkepit
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got a set off ebay $23 shipped and they great.
Old 12-01-15, 02:12 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by snkepit
I got a set off ebay $23 shipped and they great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Set-Hood-R...ZVuRjn&vxp=mtr

i been thinking about this, they are for light duty work, i don't think i would need to go OEM for these
Old 09-14-16, 02:53 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

did the job, bought a set of "strong arm" for hood and trunk strut, only a flat head screw driver to pry off the "ring" off the old one and snap new one on will do, 2 mins job, love the result, kinda funny seeing people now days with bad trunk strut using a wooden stick to held their trunk open
Old 09-16-16, 10:15 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much is the OEM ones, do you guys have any idea?
Old 09-17-16, 05:05 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
did the job, bought a set of "strong arm" for hood and trunk strut, only a flat head screw driver to pry off the "ring" off the old one and snap new one on will do, 2 mins job, love the result, kinda funny seeing people now days with bad trunk strut using a wooden stick to held their trunk open
^This. the strong arms are the best I have seen. Did my 02 GS and 07 GS last year and there is still resistance when closing the hoods.
Old 09-17-16, 12:34 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by tayslexus
How much is the OEM ones, do you guys have any idea?
MSRP for the OEM struts is $86.24 each. You can get them at lexuspartsnow.com for $64.92 each. Really, even $130 is a bit much to spend on the struts – a while back, my dad replaced the hood struts on his 2003 GS with some he got on Amazon (made by a company called Lift Support Devices if I remember correctly, the pair was around $40), and they provide a lot of lifting force, better than OEM in fact. Generally I find it worth the premium to buy OEM parts, but in this case I will be going with the aftermarket ones when it comes time to replace my hood struts.
Old 09-17-16, 04:31 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Sodium
MSRP for the OEM struts is $86.24 each. You can get them at lexuspartsnow.com for $64.92 each. Really, even $130 is a bit much to spend on the struts – a while back, my dad replaced the hood struts on his 2003 GS with some he got on Amazon (made by a company called Lift Support Devices if I remember correctly, the pair was around $40), and they provide a lot of lifting force, better than OEM in fact. Generally I find it worth the premium to buy OEM parts, but in this case I will be going with the aftermarket ones when it comes time to replace my hood struts.
yeah that's true. $130 is a lot but some people prefer all OEMs ( not me at all lol ). I hope I won't need to change them but I've the hood lock is going bad, it won't lock unless I slam the hood hard.
Old 09-17-16, 06:30 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

yeah that's true. $130 is a lot but some people prefer all OEMs ( not me at all lol ). I hope I won't need to change them but I've the hood lock is going bad, it won't lock unless I slam the hood hard.
How hard do you have to slam it? Mine has never been super easy to close either – I just close it until the safety latch latches, then I firmly press on the hood about a foot back from the "L" in the grill and the lock latches (I don't like to slam things on the car ).
Old 09-18-16, 09:10 AM
tayslexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Sodium
How hard do you have to slam it? Mine has never been super easy to close either – I just close it until the safety latch latches, then I firmly press on the hood about a foot back from the "L" in the grill and the lock latches (I don't like to slam things on the car ).
Loool I don't like to slam anything either, but isn't the force when you press hard going to show on the hood eventually? I saw some cars with a bent on the hood area. I've to slam mine hard to the point I feel embarrassed sometimes closing it when people are around haha but I'll change the lock when I go for the next service.

Last edited by tayslexus; 09-18-16 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-18-16, 05:37 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Loool I don't like to slam anything either, but isn't the force when you press hard going to show on the hood eventually? I saw some cars with a bent on the hood area. I've to slam mine hard to the point I feel embarrassed sometimes closing it when people are around haha but I'll change the lock when I go for the next service.
Nope, no dents yet! I push with both hands flat on the hood to distribute the force over a wider area, and the place I push feels like there's a crossbeam or some other support structure, so I'm not just pushing on sheet metal.

The hinge is actually cheap – I thought it would be part of some $600 assembly, actually it's only $75. Let us know if there's a big improvement!
Old 09-18-16, 07:17 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Rock auto.com.

They are the bomb.

Old 09-21-16, 04:25 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brucelee1
Rock auto.com.

They are the bomb.
"you the bomb" "no you the bomb"

a compliment in America, an arguement in the middle east

Quick Reply: hood strut? DIY? anyone tackle this yet?