GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tire wear rear, AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-16, 09:41 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by energie8
I'm confused, can someone clarify, so -.55 would make the wheel straight and not cause cupping/uneven wear? wouldn't 0 be straight? all 4 of my tires are cupping, but I'll consider the PSc adjustable camber.
Just because all your tires are cupping doesnt mean its from bad camber. Post a pic of your tires and we can see what is going on
Old 01-19-16, 11:22 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Sometimes a bad toe adjustment will also cause cupping.
Old 01-21-16, 09:11 PM
350AWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by energie8
I'm confused, can someone clarify, so -.55 would make the wheel straight and not cause cupping/uneven wear? wouldn't 0 be straight? all 4 of my tires are cupping, but I'll consider the PSc adjustable camber.
What fellow Lexus members are saying is true. Cupping can be caused by few things, bad shocks, toe, etc. Google search tire cupping you will find few good videos that will give you an understanding on what's going on.
How many miles on the car?

In my case, first I had rear inner tire wear caused by camber I installed SPC bars but had cupping. I decided to take one shock out and tested it. Shocks were bad at 51k miles.

When was last time you did an alignment? How often you rotate tires? You have AWD or RWD? If you give us more details on what's going on I am sure someone here will guide on the right track
Old 01-22-16, 09:30 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Just because all your tires are cupping doesnt mean its from bad camber. Post a pic of your tires and we can see what is going on
I stored the summers which has the issue, I'll post them once spring kicks in when I take it out of storage.
Old 01-22-16, 09:34 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 350AWD
What fellow Lexus members are saying is true. Cupping can be caused by few things, bad shocks, toe, etc. Google search tire cupping you will find few good videos that will give you an understanding on what's going on.
How many miles on the car?

In my case, first I had rear inner tire wear caused by camber I installed SPC bars but had cupping. I decided to take one shock out and tested it. Shocks were bad at 51k miles.

When was last time you did an alignment? How often you rotate tires? You have AWD or RWD? If you give us more details on what's going on I am sure someone here will guide on the right track
I have 300k KM, twice a year alignment/rotate, all stock on 18 inch, AWD.
Old 01-24-16, 10:40 AM
cschroder
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had lexus gs's for 2 generations of the car now to the tune of 300,000 miles. Tire cupping has been an issue on both, especially if you are a "spirited driver". When tire cupping becomes an issue the first place i always look is the lower control arm bushings, front and rear. To properly inspect them, you have to remove them, put them in a vice, insert and punch or screwdriver into the metal internal ring and pull and push. If it moves more than just a little little bit, replace it. These cars are heavy, fast, and have good brakes. When you mash on the brakes, if there is any toe in at all, which there is from the factory for better handling, it is greatly exaggerated by even slightly worn bushings in the lower control arm, add the camber to that and you have crazy stupid inside tire wear with cupping.

I put lots and lots of miles on my cars, my rule of thumb with these lexus gs cars is that every 100,000 replace all the bushings front and rear including struts and strut mount kits, if they "need" it or not. If you drive like a teenager, which i have been known to do" then maybe a little earlier than 100,000 if inside wear and cupping develops. I use moog bushings/control arms and kyb shocks. If you are going to do it yourself or have it done at a non dealer shop be sure the "preload" the suspension before you tighten everything up. Usually ends up costing about 500.00 per axle in parts then an alignment. i try to do it right before i replace tires so i can drive to the alignment shop on old worn out tires, closes one is 40 miles away, to ensure i dont chew up a good set on my way to get an alignment.

all the camber kits in the world wont help if when you hit the brakes it throws all the alignment specs way out of whack because of worn bushings.
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (04-03-19)
Old 01-24-16, 10:46 AM
cschroder
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

these are the usually the problem in the front:

http://www.rocar-usa.com/product.php...roducts_id=113

in the rear it is usually this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-GS300-...FRQLBA&vxp=mtr
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (04-03-19)
Old 01-25-16, 08:15 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by cschroder
I've had lexus gs's for 2 generations of the car now to the tune of 300,000 miles. Tire cupping has been an issue on both, especially if you are a "spirited driver". When tire cupping becomes an issue the first place i always look is the lower control arm bushings, front and rear. To properly inspect them, you have to remove them, put them in a vice, insert and punch or screwdriver into the metal internal ring and pull and push. If it moves more than just a little little bit, replace it. These cars are heavy, fast, and have good brakes. When you mash on the brakes, if there is any toe in at all, which there is from the factory for better handling, it is greatly exaggerated by even slightly worn bushings in the lower control arm, add the camber to that and you have crazy stupid inside tire wear with cupping.

I put lots and lots of miles on my cars, my rule of thumb with these lexus gs cars is that every 100,000 replace all the bushings front and rear including struts and strut mount kits, if they "need" it or not. If you drive like a teenager, which i have been known to do" then maybe a little earlier than 100,000 if inside wear and cupping develops. I use moog bushings/control arms and kyb shocks. If you are going to do it yourself or have it done at a non dealer shop be sure the "preload" the suspension before you tighten everything up. Usually ends up costing about 500.00 per axle in parts then an alignment. i try to do it right before i replace tires so i can drive to the alignment shop on old worn out tires, closes one is 40 miles away, to ensure i dont chew up a good set on my way to get an alignment.

all the camber kits in the world wont help if when you hit the brakes it throws all the alignment specs way out of whack because of worn bushings.

Great info!! I have been suspecting lower control arms for the rear as ive been putting off replacing them because of there cost. Ive replace all the rear bushings except that.

I agree also with you on using top chamber corrector, it will align on the rack but throws off the alignment when a bushings shifts a different angle.
Old 02-01-16, 06:32 AM
350AWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cschroder
these are the usually the problem in the front:

http://www.rocar-usa.com/product.php...roducts_id=113

in the rear it is usually this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-GS300-...FRQLBA&vxp=mtr
Good references, I checked the rear and everything was good, but my problem end up being the shocks. But I'll keep on eye on this in the future.