GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

To turn or to not turn...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 08:43 AM
Jodwin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To turn or to not turn...

I just got -NEW front brake pads and apparently there is a debate on whether or not to have your brake pads turned.... I wanted to get the groups opinion on this I use a local mechanic that only handles imports and he has his opinion but there are a few engineers that I work with that disagree with his opinion.

Any thoughts or experience with this particular situation?
Old 08-26-15, 11:17 AM
cquence
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have never heard of having brake pads turned but if there is any treatment that needs to be done with the new pads is to break them in. This is to ensure that there is cohesion with the rotors; this forms an even layer of the pad material onto the rotors so that to prevent or reduce the occurrence of uneven pad deposit - the main cause of vibration during braking, what most mistakenly refer to as "warping" of the rotors.
There maybe a misunderstanding here. If you meant to have the ROTORS turned, then it depends on much life left is on the rotor and/or if you are experiencing any vibration issues.
Old 08-26-15, 11:37 AM
Jodwin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My apologies, this shows my level of knowledge on cars..... I meant the rotors turned.

Originally Posted by cquence
We have never heard of having brake pads turned but if there is any treatment that needs to be done with the new pads is to break them in. This is to ensure that there is cohesion with the rotors; this forms an even layer of the pad material onto the rotors so that to prevent or reduce the occurrence of uneven pad deposit - the main cause of vibration during braking, what most mistakenly refer to as "warping" of the rotors.
There maybe a misunderstanding here. If you meant to have the ROTORS turned, then it depends on much life left is on the rotor and/or if you are experiencing any vibration issues.
Old 08-26-15, 12:00 PM
cquence
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jodwin
My apologies, this shows my level of knowledge on cars..... I meant the rotors turned.
No problem at all Whether or not you should turn your rotors first depends on how much of the rotor life is left. This can be determined from the minimum thickness that is printed on the rotor itself. The min. thickness is basically the minimum allowed thickness the rotors can have before you need to replace them.

Depending on how much the mechanic will charge you to turn the rotors, you might as well direct that money toward new rotors and save yourself from having to spend more money in the long run.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-26-15, 02:44 PM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

If your mechanic tells you that you don't need to resurfacing the rotors, you should find a new mechanic. You always always do it.

Like cquence said, it depends on rotor life left. There is an arrow indicator of where the rotor tells you "no life left." (at least there is on the OEM rotors).
Old 08-27-15, 04:10 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

At most resurface every other brake pad change. I wouldn't go looking for a new mechanic, because he said they don't need it this time.

Depending on the price, it isn't that much more to replace the rotors. I paid less than $80 last time for the two front rotors.