GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2008 GS350 AWD Jerking/Hesitation at Low Speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-16, 04:33 PM
MnGs3xx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I just find it hard to believe how people say they have the same issues but different fixes for the same problem... its either not the same issue or they are leaving info out
Old 01-03-16, 05:00 PM
ez12a
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Agreed,

the topic is so vague that everyone experiencing misfires (fixed by replacing spark plugs, coil packs?), transmission issues (ecu, transmission, etc), etc. are all posting in these threads.

personally my transmission downshifts a little abruptly at times. Especially noticeable when lightly tapping the gas pedal that causes my car to downshift to the next lower gear. Not sure if this is part of some grade logic (auto downshifting when going down hill/coasting, etc.). I also have the jerk/bump feeling when slowing down to a stop sometimes. Did one drain and fill at the dealer, and it still occurs.

edit: appears that lexus models do have 'grade logic' which will downshift on descents.

Last edited by ez12a; 01-03-16 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-04-16, 06:10 PM
MnGs3xx
Driver

Originally Posted by ELITech
It is the torque converter most likely.

I've had to replace one in an '08 that had the same issue as you described. What I did to confirm the torque converter issue involved pulling the wire out of the connector that engages/disengages the lockup solenoid.

Can't say I'm 100% certain, but I'd say that is extremely likely.
Did you replace the whole transmission or just the torque converter? And what is the purpose of oulling the wir what is suppose to happen? Thanks
Old 01-12-16, 02:23 PM
Lexus3GS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NJ07gs350
Hey guys.
My 07 GS 350 AWD "had" the same issue i bought the car this past july with 149K on the clock.I swapped out the plugs and these exact symptoms are gone. Just thought i'd share it worth a shot, got the OE plugs from amazon and did them myself. any questions just ask. hope this helps out

Is the issue you are referring to the transmission or misfire one?
Old 01-15-16, 08:24 PM
NJ07gs350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus3GS
it cured the trans at 20 mph stutter for a few hundred miles,i only changed two coils gonna order the other 4 soon
Old 01-16-16, 12:23 PM
Kashill
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJ07gs350
it cured the trans at 20 mph stutter for a few hundred miles,i only changed two coils gonna order the other 4 soon
I strongly doubt the engine has anything to do with transmission stutter I have been experiencing has it only occurs when driving lightly and only during gear changes between 3rd/ 4th and 4th/5th. Engine power is always there, a bad plug or coil pack shows up as a lost of engine power and is more pronounced under load conditions irrespective or gear.
Old 01-16-16, 03:21 PM
MnGs3xx
Driver

Yea the rpms are steady... if you are having misfires it could almost feel the ssme as the stutter
Old 01-17-16, 05:45 AM
haromania
Driver School Candidate

I bought a beautiful and incredibly well maintained 07 GS350 AWD w/133K on it and loved everything about it, except the transmission/torque converter shudder between 20-30mph in 4th gear. I did a can of Sea Foam thinking it could be the injectors, checked air filter, did OEM plugs (I would never install after-market plugs in one of these and wonder why anyone would) and all of those items seemed to help initially, but after a few weeks it was apparent I still had an issue. So yesterday I did something that I usually laugh at people about. I bought "rebuild in a can" otherwise known as "Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx". During my oil change I pulled the fill plug out if the tranny and injected 2 oz. of this stuff and spent the rest of the day trying to get it to shudder again and couldn't do it.

Laugh at me at your own peril, I'm telling you it doesn't do it anymore and I tried as hard as I could to get it to do it and I used to be able to make it do it on command. I'm incredibly stoked about this as that was the only thing I didn't like about the car.

FYI, for some background, like most of you I am a car guy. I restored my first car before I was old enough to legally drive it, I owned a body shop for 15 years and could literally cut a car in half and put it back together. I know there are people on this board better with cars than me, and have as much or more time working on them, I am just telling you I'm no dumbass on this stuff, and it appears to have fixed my issue. Whatever those "friction modifiers" are, worked. Check out the reviews on Amazon, lots of people had the same experience as me. If you're considering trying this, I'd be tempted to do it yourself, as most mechanics would probably laugh at you if you brought a tube of this into them, and may not put it in because they might be so convinced it is a stupid idea. So either do it yourself, or literally watch them do it if you can, otherwise you won't know for sure. One last thing, I'd have the fluid changed first if it were me, before I added this stuff. That's just me.

I also needed to pour that stuff into a large syringe first and literally inject it, as the fill plug location makes it impossible to squirt it right out of the tube.
Old 01-17-16, 01:08 PM
Kashill
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by haromania
I bought a beautiful and incredibly well maintained 07 GS350 AWD w/133K on it and loved everything about it, except the transmission/torque converter shudder between 20-30mph...

I also needed to pour that stuff into a large syringe first and literally inject it, as the fill plug location makes it impossible to squirt it right out of the tube.
Did my homework and you may be on to something. Much like you I bought a car that is perfect and like new in every other regard and was so disappointed when I felt this shudder a few weeks later. I'm going to be the next in line to give this lighten in a bottle a shot and report back.

Last edited by Kashill; 01-17-16 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-17-16, 01:30 PM
haromania
Driver School Candidate

Drove car around town again today trying to make it shudder and couldn't. Downshifts at lower speeds rolling to a stop are better, it's just a smoother drive now. Finally feels like the luxury performance ride I was hoping for when I bought this thing. I had been waiting to order new floor mats/liners for it, as they run about $180(ish) and I was honestly thinking of trading the car in, but if this issue is resolved I will be driving this thing and the floor mats are the only thing separating this car from looking like it rolled off the line.

Found a weird thing when I changed the oil yesterday, the filter I took about was a lot shorter than the one I put in. I installed an "A5" which my computer, and the dealer itself told me was the correct one. I wonder if the Honda dealer this guy was getting his oil changed (yes, Honda) at was using the RWD filter? (I know AWD & RWD filters differ somehow, not sure what though) Horrified me to see the wrong filter in there.
Old 01-21-16, 04:41 AM
WernerB
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Hi,
I have a 2006 gs300 and when I shift it into reverse and slowly move back the car jerks. I just had my alternator repaired and the car was without the battery for x5 days.
Werner
Old 01-24-16, 06:49 AM
sophee24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus3GS
My car had this same issue at 88k, it was the transmission and almost $5,000 to repair i ended up trading it in...
Old 02-04-16, 07:14 PM
Kashill
Driver School Candidate

Issue solved thanks to "haromania" post above. The transmission shudder (jerking/ hesitation) we have experiencing is due to a faulty operating torque converter, not because the converter is bad, but because the trans fluid is depleted...hence the success he achieved when he added the Lubegaurd transmission additive.

GOOGLE how a lock-up torque converter works (the additives in the trans fluid is paramount here). How did I prove this? I took my car to the dealer to flush my transmission immediately after experiencing this issue to rule out the trans fluid but the shudder was still there, however, I did not realized that all the dealer did was to drain and fill (3.8 qrts). I then started down the path of looking for an used low mileage trans until I saw haromania post above. I did a little homework on the additive he used and how transmissions work and figured I did not have much to lose by draining and filling my trans a few more times and give the additive a shot but after the second drain and fill (one by the dealer and one by myself), my shudder was gone completely for over 300 miles and I tried my best to make it shudder with no luck (bad luck for that matter). So for good measure, I went ahead and did a third drain and fill. I'm now going on 200 miles since the third drain/ fill with no issue. I did not include the additive but from my homework, it is a good product and will not hurt if decide to include for good measure.

My car had 130,xxx miles when I bought it and based on the maintenance history, the trans fluid was never changed.

Bottom line, we should be draining and filling our trans at least twice a year until we figure out a way to do a true flush.

Last edited by Kashill; 02-04-16 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-10-16, 08:02 PM
Willp79
10th Gear

Default Jerking/hesitation

Hey guys I finally got my that damn hesitation problem fixed and now it runs like new very happyI panicked so I bought an extended warranty that covers the torque converter.If you are getting a stutter only at slow speed between 20/30 mph most likely it's the torque convertor. I would recommend getting a extended warranty that covers it. Beware that If lexus already has on file that you have a transmission problem they won't cover it.Now Its that time again I need brakes and rotors.I lookin into drilled and slotted rotors,but not sure if I need them or where to get them.I'm looked for stopping power with no brake dust.Anyone have any suggestions?thk u
Old 11-17-16, 02:44 AM
DXB001
Driver School Candidate

I own a 2008 Lexus GS 350 and after changing transmission oil i am facing the same issue sometimes it jerks and jumps in the 2nd gear when I am driving without much acceleration. If press the accelerator harder, the car accelerates without much problem. But when driving in slower speed the Gear shifts very quickly from 1 to 3 and it doesnt seem normal. Went to show it in the garage where they checked on the computer and result was perfect. Can any one help and let me know if i should live this annoying issue or it can be fixed. On top of that someone told me transmission oil should have never been changed as its life time. How true is that.

Quick Reply: 2008 GS350 AWD Jerking/Hesitation at Low Speed