GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2008 GS350 AWD Jerking/Hesitation at Low Speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 09:05 PM
oxus
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 GS350 AWD Jerking/Hesitation at Low Speed

Hi everyone,

I just got a used GS350. At about 20-25mph, it can sometime hesitate/jerk when I am driving without much acceleration. If I press the accelerator hard, the car accelerates without much problem.

I tried searching through the forum but couldn't find anyone with the same problem except maybe the LS460 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...low-speed.html

I have tried cleaning the MAF with CRC cleaner + resetting the ECU by unplugging the battery for 10minutes but I still have the problem. Strangely, I didn't have to recalibrate the windows after plugging out the battery, but the GPS did the long initial boot-up..

Anybody with similar problems?
Old 01-13-14, 05:18 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

My 2008 GS 350 RWD does the same thing......I beleive its mostly in colder weather as the engine is warming up. Only lasts for 10 - 15 minutes.
Old 01-13-14, 05:47 PM
oxus
9th Gear

I have not noticed it after warming up, but I haven't had the chance to drive a long distance in the city after it is warmed up either..

I wonder if it is a common problem.. Does anyone else have the same problem? I messaged another member that had a similar problem.. His fix was to drain and fill the transmission 3x..
Old 01-13-14, 06:39 PM
rjk
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always noticed that when it's really cold, my car idles high even when in gear, and is reluctant to leave 3rd gear. I always figured it was programmed to do so to help warm the car up.
Old 01-13-14, 06:41 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oxus
I have not noticed it after warming up, but I haven't had the chance to drive a long distance in the city after it is warmed up either..

I wonder if it is a common problem.. Does anyone else have the same problem? I messaged another member that had a similar problem.. His fix was to drain and fill the transmission 3x..
When outside temperature is 30 and small change, you will experience this sympton, especially city driving. Take it easy on the gas pedal.
The jerking forward will go away when the coolant temp reaches operating temp, 5 notch mark.on the gauge.
Old 01-16-14, 03:13 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys sure it's not a misfire? That's what it sounds like to me..?
The following users liked this post:
GS3502008 (05-23-21)
Old 01-16-14, 07:27 AM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It was -30C here for a couple of days and I felt no such jerkiness. It would help if oxus described the jerkiness better, it can be multiple things, normal behavior or a problem. How much accelarator pedal is being applied? What is the RPM gague showing? Rough/shfigting/stable at what values?

I don't see what difference the thermostat opening makes with regard to jerkiness. There may be a minute or so before the primary O2 sensor warms up for a reliable reading and your injectors are running in open loop and a higher RPM idle, so that may feel like the car has a bit more kick, but we are talking about a difference between 700RPM idle and 1500 rpm idle or so. A misfire often happens under load, if it happens multiple times CEL comes on.... What gas is in the car, could it be knocking?
Old 01-16-14, 06:25 PM
oxus
9th Gear

This happens when I am not applying much on the pedal. Just trying to cruise at 20-25mph. When I am accelerating and passing that speed range quickly, it is not a problem. I am not sure if it is trying to shift to a higher gear at that point.. The few times I noticed it happening, it did not shift up and the rpm stays at around 1500rpm still..

The jerkiness is similar to a gear change though.. It is like it is engaging, disengaging, and engaging again multiple times..

It is at about 1500rpm. The rpm gauge seems stable, no large drops..

I have it on 93 gas. At highway speed, there are no problems.. No problem at WOT also..

The CEL on the car didn't turn on when this happened..
Old 05-14-14, 04:02 PM
flipfoose
Driver School Candidate

Default lexus jerking at low acceleration

I am having the same problem with my 2007 I just bought a week ago I have an appointment with Toyota on friday im curious to see what it is ,.I didnt feel it when I test drove the car Discovered it going through a school zone and it has driven me crazy since.has anyone else had this happen and if so what is it ?
Old 05-16-14, 12:39 PM
iLub3GS
Rookie

Is it when you slow down to pass a double parked car then you press the acceleration pedal it jerks? I have that and it's annoying as heck. Makes me look like an inexperienced driver from the outside
Old 05-19-14, 08:50 AM
flipfoose
Driver School Candidate

Default lexus jerking at low acceleration

No actually after I felt it in the school zone now I know its there and its when ever I accelerate slowly from a stop between 20 mph & 30mph roughly 1100-1500rpm It was a mistake taking it to toyota they didnt know anything simply said oh you will need to replace the tranny yet it was never on a computer only road tessted so I will be going to the lexus dealer from now on.
Old 05-19-14, 12:09 PM
ELITech
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

It is the torque converter most likely.

I've had to replace one in an '08 that had the same issue as you described. What I did to confirm the torque converter issue involved pulling the wire out of the connector that engages/disengages the lockup solenoid.

Can't say I'm 100% certain, but I'd say that is extremely likely.
Old 05-19-14, 07:34 PM
mamoon313
Driver School Candidate

i have the same problem with the jerk and hesitation. its more like a hesitation with a little jerk. thing is im pretty blunt and im assuming its my transmission slipping. it only happens when im switching to third gear and only when im taking it easy on the gas pedal. it has no problems shifting at high speeds or when im punchin it. i have 179000 miles on it so i know the obvious, my trans needs help...i wish someone has serviced their car at lexus for the same problem so id know what it was for sure.
Old 05-20-14, 08:12 AM
oxus
9th Gear

Someone else in the forum reduced the severity of this problem by doing a full flush of his transmission.. I still have the problem, but have learned to drive faster to avoid the hesitation!
Old 05-20-14, 02:18 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a flush, just a change. Replacing the fluid before 110k miles will add to the longevity of the transmission. Lots of threads on this, just mentioning it.

Quick Reply: 2008 GS350 AWD Jerking/Hesitation at Low Speed