GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

After Recall - Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-13, 03:41 AM
Iknowspurg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Recall - Issues

I took my car in on the 12th and got it back on the 15th. I have driven the car for 5 days and on last Saturday while waiting for my daughter at the soccer fields, the car started smoking. I thought it may have been some of the oil burning off as my service advisor told it would. But this was something else, didn't smell like burning oil. When I checked the engine the smoke was coming from the left side of the block. I couldn't tell what was happening, but it was smoking.

I also noticed that my rear view mirrors started working again............!?! I also recall hearing funny noises when parking the park as i am turning the wheel.....

THIS MORNING, when I pulled out of my garage, all was well. I stopped at the local Starbucks...........no issues. Twenty minutes later, I stopped at another drive thru and as i was talking to the drive-thru person, my stereo started acting up and it then all of the lights blinked. Then the battery indicator on the dash came on....Then Check Engine.......Then Check VSC.........WTH?? As I pulled off..............THE STEERING WAS HARD AS #$#@# TO TURN......i am like wth is going on?????? I managed to limp to work and as i am fighting with the wheel to park, then the entire center console went blank. I turned the car off and tried to start it ...........COMPLETELY DEAD!!!! NOTHING!!!!!!!! NO BUZZER, NO DOOR LIGHTS............NOTHING!!!

Great timing.............huh. As soon as the dealership opens I am going to call and find out what the hell is going on.....

ANYONE ELSE WITH SOMETHING SIMILAR

Old 11-27-13, 04:10 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Sounds like your cars not getting any juice, maybe your alternator went bad or they didnt connect it properly. Doesnt sound like anything serious to me, no need to panic.
Old 11-27-13, 09:19 AM
Iknowspurg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I now think it's the belts.
Old 11-27-13, 09:50 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Iknowspurg
I now think it's the belts.
Ya that would cause smoke, and would shut down the alternator. Its fairly easy to replace!
Old 12-08-13, 11:36 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same exact issue happened to me. The weird thing is, After all that happened (Radio went out, power steering, car almost shut off, etc) after I parked it for a day and went back to start the car the night after it happened, it started perfectly fine and normal and I have been driving it now for over 2 weeks with no similar problems that occured that night..

However, I have noticed a weird burning smell inside the cabin every now and then. I am almost certain that it had something to do with the recall service. Maybe they improperly re connected a connector, or failed to connect it snug, or something of that matter, but the burning smell leads me to think otherwise?

Any ideas? I initially thought it was the alternator, but if it crapped out on me that night, then it would have not started back up normally the next day..
Old 12-08-13, 12:17 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skylar978
Same exact issue happened to me. The weird thing is, After all that happened (Radio went out, power steering, car almost shut off, etc) after I parked it for a day and went back to start the car the night after it happened, it started perfectly fine and normal and I have been driving it now for over 2 weeks with no similar problems that occured that night..

However, I have noticed a weird burning smell inside the cabin every now and then. I am almost certain that it had something to do with the recall service. Maybe they improperly re connected a connector, or failed to connect it snug, or something of that matter, but the burning smell leads me to think otherwise?

Any ideas? I initially thought it was the alternator, but if it crapped out on me that night, then it would have not started back up normally the next day..
Just curious who did your recall.
I had mine done at Lexus of Watertown in 8 hours.
I could smell the break-in of the new cover gasket when I opened the hood.
Other than that I couldn't tell if the recall was performed or not.

Gas mileage is down 2 MPG but it's due to cold weather.
Old 12-10-13, 07:53 PM
Mikeyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

possibly a loose connector or a loose ground when they did the recall. Take it back to the dealer that did it and they should fix it and compensate you for your trouble
Old 12-11-13, 09:27 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
Just curious who did your recall.
I had mine done at Lexus of Watertown in 8 hours.
I could smell the break-in of the new cover gasket when I opened the hood.
Other than that I couldn't tell if the recall was performed or not.

Gas mileage is down 2 MPG but it's due to cold weather.
Mine was taken to Lexus of Sharon, Ma (Herb Chambers), and it took 3 days for some reason. I assumed it was because it was busy because as I was dropping off my car to get the recall work done, cars were also coming in and out the drop off area. I also noticed a lot of 3gs's parked near the service bay as I was leaving with my RX350 Loaner.

Initially, I had planned to take her to Watertown, but I wanted to try a new dealership. Did you like your service at Watertown? Herb Chambers new facility in Sharon was fantastic. IMO, better than Watertown, but that could be just from my personal experience.
Old 12-11-13, 05:22 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skylar978
Mine was taken to Lexus of Sharon, Ma (Herb Chambers), and it took 3 days for some reason. I assumed it was because it was busy because as I was dropping off my car to get the recall work done, cars were also coming in and out the drop off area. I also noticed a lot of 3gs's parked near the service bay as I was leaving with my RX350 Loaner.

Initially, I had planned to take her to Watertown, but I wanted to try a new dealership. Did you like your service at Watertown? Herb Chambers new facility in Sharon was fantastic. IMO, better than Watertown, but that could be just from my personal experience.
I bought my RX350 a couple years ago at Herb Chambers. Their showroom, service facility , and waiting room are much bigger and nicer than Watertown and Northborough. Sharon is 20 miles away from where I live. Watertown is only 4 miles from where I work. Haven't been in Danvers yet.
I used to bring my cars to Northborough for service, After a couple bad services, I went to Watertown where I bought my GS, I am glad I did.