GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Using Heating System?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-13, 08:57 AM
Leonard15
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Heating System?

Hi guys I have a 2009 GS 350 Ultra Premium and I am just wondering how you normally use the heating system as I live in Canada and I normally put the temperature to 22 or 23 Degrees Celcius and I normally use the defrost vents up top. I noticed when I drive for long periods on the highway the car gets cooler when the heat is on via defrost vents but when I use the regular inside vents the car gets too warm and the windows get fogged up and I have to keep putting it back in defrost mode.

Also how do you get the rear vent in the backseat to blow air as when I put my hand back there I never seem to feel any air pressure blowing despite how high I turn the fan on?
Old 02-08-13, 10:15 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

23C = 73F normally I put mine at 70F. If you put in Auto, it also turn on the AC to do the dehumidifier. Don't need the defrost.

The rear vent doesn't blow much in mine too. it seem there is a missing airduct to the rear vent in mind. The airduct come down behind the radio and it just left open right there. It heat up the radio too if I turn it up too high.
Old 02-08-13, 11:36 AM
Leonard15
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
23C = 73F normally I put mine at 70F. If you put in Auto, it also turn on the AC to do the dehumidifier. Don't need the defrost.

The rear vent doesn't blow much in mine too. it seem there is a missing airduct to the rear vent in mind. The airduct come down behind the radio and it just left open right there. It heat up the radio too if I turn it up too high.
I always wanted to know what the auto feature was and why I notice the AC light is on as I always manually took it off when I saw it on as I never used AC in Winter.

I would normally keep the inside vents on most of the time buy like I said before the windows get to foggy after a few minutes. So are you telling me that when I put the fan to blow through the inside vents I should select the auto feature?
Old 02-08-13, 12:10 PM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonard15
I always wanted to know what the auto feature was and why I notice the AC light is on as I always manually took it off when I saw it on as I never used AC in Winter.

I would normally keep the inside vents on most of the time buy like I said before the windows get to foggy after a few minutes. So are you telling me that when I put the fan to blow through the inside vents I should select the auto feature?
You SHOULD be using the A/C, it removes the humidity from the air, and that is why your windows are fogging up (because you aren't using it). Auto mode works very well, I use it every day and it always gets the job done.

-Joe
Old 02-08-13, 04:12 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AC is not just there for blowing cold air, as mentioned above, it's job is to "condition" the air, and to keep the seals from drying out and leaking, it should be used at least 20 mins a week.
Doesn't need to be on full time, dropping your mpg, just long enough to demist the windows.

Keep the circulation mode on fresh, not recirculating, and the windscreen button depressed.
When all is clear, hit the button again to return to previous mode - feet/face/feet&screen/etc
Turn off the AC, and return fan speed to preferred setting - max demists quicker, obviously.

Alternatively, drop the front window(s) an inch or so, this'll let the warm moist air out.
Wet feet will exacerbate the issue, so crank up the heat and switch to floor setting, with the window open - you'll soon dry the mats out.

Lastly, clean your windows as dirt attracts and allows moisture something to hold on to.
A dirty cabin filter will also be less effective than a cleaner one.

Regarding rear airflow - make sure the vents on the rear of the armrest are open and pointing up, otherwise the rear b pillar vents work in conjunction with the windscreen button, which is the one next to the rear windscreen demister.

If all this is too much to comprehend, here's a novel thought..........go read your owners' manual!
There's a reason Lexus bothered to print one for each car they produce (as well as surplus for those who lose theirs).
Old 02-10-13, 03:21 PM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

You're driving a $60,000.00 luxury sedan, please do not turn off the AC to save $1/year on gas. Just leave everything on AUTO, set the temp to about 24c in the winter and drive the car.

Make sure all the vents are open
Do no turn up the temperature in the morning, just leave it at ~24c and it will heat up as fast as it can.
I can go weeks without adjusting the temperature controls.

I really can't understand why people don't use the AUTO setting, why do you want to constantly adjust the fan speed and temp control manually. My other car (WRX) has a normal manual system and it drives me crazy always having to fiddle with it. A lot of engineering has gone into the climate control system in this car, just set it to what you want and trust it will do a good job. Try it for a week even and then you will see how well it works.