GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

weird memory seat bug

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-12, 09:15 PM
tucker21
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default weird memory seat bug

so no matter how many times i set my memory seat position with the seat moved as far back as possible it constantly resets itself so that the seat is about 2 inches from the full back position.
everything else in the memory position is correct its just the seat which rather then being fully back is about 2 inches closer to the wheel then the full back position.

i've tried setting all three of the memory slots (1,2,3) and the same thing happens.

any ideas wtf is going on?
Old 09-28-12, 04:04 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are holding the Set button as well as 1, 2, or 3 to store the settings?
Presuming so, maybe the end stop isn't seen as the last position by the motor, so it only goes to the position the seat ends up at.
Does the memory function work if you store a different position - half way for example?
If it does, and returns to it every time, then I suspect the furthest possible distance is a degree of rotation the motor isn't designed to acknowledge, as it only counts full rotations.

Try the passenger seat's memory and see if it's the same shortened distance too.
If it is, then I think we've found your answer.
If not, then either a difference between the two seats for some bizarre technical/design reason or the driver's seating mechanism isn't quite in sync.
What you'd do to fix it if that was the case, is beyond me.

If I remember or/and get a chance to try mine to see if it is pretty much as I suspect above.
Old 09-30-12, 03:07 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

look in your owner's manual about linking seat memory to the smart key. i bet it won't do it if you use your other key. it's not hard to unlink it, i just don't have it memorized.
Old 10-04-12, 06:01 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tucker21
so no matter how many times i set my memory seat position with the seat moved as far back as possible it constantly resets itself so that the seat is about 2 inches from the full back position.
everything else in the memory position is correct its just the seat which rather then being fully back is about 2 inches closer to the wheel then the full back position.

i've tried setting all three of the memory slots (1,2,3) and the same thing happens.

any ideas wtf is going on?
Finally, I got around to test out this.
I didn't have any problem as you stated.
Moved the seat all the way back. Press SET & slot <2> to save the position.
Press slot <1> to move the seat to other position.
Press slot <2>, the seat moved all the way back.
Old 10-04-12, 07:36 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

The two different key fobs can be programmed to "remember" two different memory settings. My setting is #1, wife's seting is #2. One fob is mine, programmed to bring everything back to #1, her fob brings everything to #2. If I accidently grab her fob, as soon as I unlock the car, everything goes to the #2 settings. I suspect this is your problem.
Old 10-04-12, 08:08 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arnieosp
The two different key fobs can be programmed to "remember" two different memory settings. My setting is #1, wife's seting is #2. One fob is mine, programmed to bring everything back to #1, her fob brings everything to #2. If I accidently grab her fob, as soon as I unlock the car, everything goes to the #2 settings. I suspect this is your problem.
agree. what arnie said is what i was referring to in my earlier post. like i said before....directions on how to unlink a key to seat memory will be found in the owner's manual. at least i think i said that before.
Old 10-04-12, 08:17 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

agree. what arnie said is what i was referring to in my earlier post. like i said before....directions on how to unlink a key to seat memory will be found in the owner's manual. at least i think i said that before

speaking of the owner's manual..........you know how mcdonalds has the monopoly game....and m&m has that thing where if you get a bag with all the same color you win something big....?

i think lexus should put a "free car certificate" in some random owner's manual. it's ok. it will never be found. i think about half the questions on this forum could be answered by the owner's manual. and MR. OP, i'm not really talking about you....if your problem turns out to be the key linked seat memory.....you would get a break on that one. wouldn't expect people to think about that kind of thing.
Old 10-06-12, 09:39 PM
tucker21
Pole Position

i am aware of this and this is def not the issue.
to the poster who tested this himself the same thing happens when i initially program the seat.
it will work for the first few times then it will revert to the issue i described.
Old 10-07-12, 11:12 AM
diagtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tucker21
i am aware of this and this is def not the issue.
to the poster who tested this himself the same thing happens when i initially program the seat.
it will work for the first few times then it will revert to the issue i described.
well i'll look into it a little more then. will be hard to diagnose over the internet. it couldn't have come
uninitialized or the memory wouldn't work at all. i'll see if there's a way to clear out the initialization of the seat and reinitialize it.

in the meantime.....have you ever run your USP A4 against the GS430?? just curious how that would go.... is the tuning for the k04 or just stage 1 tuning. Just curious.
Old 10-07-12, 11:38 AM
diagtime
Pole Position

alright so this system doesn't have seat position sensors so don't think there's any initialization that can be done (like sc430 and LS460 amongst others). it uses pulse count from the motors to determine position.
This will be hard to diagnose without hooking a computer up to see the positions it thinks it's at, but we'll try.

1. you said sometimes it works right. when it stops short, will go back to the correct position if you hit the switch again? also, does it seem like the motor is straining to move the seat? the seat motor will cut off if the motor gets too hot.

2. if it were me, the next thing i would try is pulling the front door panels and switching the passenger and driver seat memory switches. i don't think they will fit right, but I'M GUESSING that the connectors will match. the seat memory ECU is built into the switches.
Old 10-08-12, 03:28 AM
tucker21
Pole Position

diagtime,

A) no the motor doesn't seem like its straining at all

B) no when it stops short it will never go fully back again no matter how many times i hit the button.
its not like sometimes it won't work and then randomly it will work again. it will work for the very first time after i set it and then once the car is turned off and on again it goes back to not working. but all the other settings are still saved and applied correctly.

as for the audi yes the tuning was set for the K04 but i have not run them vs each other.
i'm not 100% sure but my hunch is the audi would be faster 0-60 but the GS would edge it out in the 1/4mile.
the audi needs a bit of engine work tho atm and its not running 100% (has about 130K miles on it) so need to get it fixed up before i can find out for sure (i haven't had the audi dyno'd since i did all the work).

cheers.