GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 01-09-15, 03:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Synthetic Oil Changes!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 07:34 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil Changes!!

Ok so I recently had an oil change and find that the price is crazy, I know I can do it on my own. Probably not gonna but was wondering for my next oil change I'd try Royal Purple anyone ever used this, has there been a difference. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-24-12, 07:49 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm on the fence as to what I am going to use when I do mine on the newer Lexus.

Been using regular 5-30 castrol on my 2002 GS300 for years and change every 4,000 miles which is about 3 months. No issues ever with this car.

Just got a 2007 GS350 and have no idea what was used in it. Oil was freshly changed right before I got it. I will probably also use regular Castrol 5-30 and change every 4,000 miles or 4 months.
Old 05-24-12, 10:49 AM
louisp_p
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried Royal Purple 5w30 Synthetic oil last time. Got them off ebay, 12qt for $89. I couldn't tell the difference between the synthetic royal purple and the oil that dealer provides. Does the dealer use full synthetic oil or just the regular oil?
Old 05-24-12, 11:03 AM
lex-ative
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil is Oil as far as I'm concerned. Don't be a 'label *****'. Just get a good synthetic and call it a day....
Old 05-24-12, 11:12 AM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been using RP for my last 2 or 3 oil changes. Dealer just put in Mobil 1 a day ago. Maybe too soon but I really cannot tell the difference.
Old 05-24-12, 11:43 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Royal Purple is a waste of money. I have tried almost every brand of oil in multiple cars. Spend $35 at Wal-Mart and get 7 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic and change your oil with this every 5k. Buy a box of ten filters off ebay or through Sewell parts and you're good-to-go. Do the work yourself as well - it is super simple.
Old 05-24-12, 12:44 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

I used Royal Purple last time I changed oil in my Corvette. Can't say I noticed any difference. Later I read that Mobil 1 actually has a better rating than RP. I think I will switch back to Mobil 1 next oil change.
Old 05-24-12, 12:48 PM
SoCal_450h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup, RP just waste a money......
Old 05-24-12, 04:42 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Mobil1 every 7500 miles. End of story.
Old 05-24-12, 05:32 PM
saefongc90
Rookie

Originally Posted by lex-ative
Oil is Oil as far as I'm concerned. Don't be a 'label *****'. Just get a good synthetic and call it a day....
There actually is a difference in the oil you use the synthetic oils will last you longer I have tried both regular and Mobil 1 Synthetic the difference that I saw was the feel of the motor with the mobil 1 the car just feels like the engine is running more smooth.
Old 05-24-12, 05:40 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto..._oils_faqs.htm

The dealer will be using "synthetic" oil, but probably not the higher quality ones like Motul/Redline where more of the base stock is POA.
Barring only doing short journeys all the time, even those hydrocracked synths are more than capable of handling double the old-fashioned 3K/3month oil change intervals.

Royal Purple is an alright oil - nothing exceptional, just well marketed.
If you want to use better oil, then go with Motul 8100 Series or Amsoil, and if you drive regularly at typical speeds and for a reasonable length of time, then as is the recommended interval for Lexus in Europe, you can just change the oil and filter every 10K or 12 months - so long as you bother to check it every other week for oil level, and top up as required.
Don't overfill, but keep it near/on the max level of the dipstick rather than half way between max and min markers.
If you mainly do short hops, then you'll fall into the severe maintenance schedule, which is 5K or 6 month intervals, even with the better true synths, as that puts more stress on the oil.

The main key spec figures to compare/ask for if not readily given, are:
HTHS (higher is better) - shear stability of oil
Viscosities @ 100ºC and 40ºC (lower is more fuel efficient) - thinner flows quicker, but reduces HTHS, and vice versa
Viscosity Index (higher is better)
TBN (higher is preferable) - reserve capacity to neutralise acidic compounds produced by the combustion process

Finding the oil with the best compromise between those is generally how one decides which to opt for - price shouldn't be the deciding factor as $20 difference is insignificant in the grand scheme of annual car running costs!
Modify your driving style, plan journeys to make best use of road network, keep tyre pressures up, use the AC less, keep windows up over 45 mph to reduce drag, and so on - you'll make savings of more than the difference in the oil cost.
Old 05-24-12, 06:53 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Ok, thanks all I think I'll stick with the Mobil 1 Synthetic oil. I will look into Motul oil as well.
Old 05-24-12, 08:05 PM
BGG
Pole Position

RP is junk.. doesnt clean your engine at all. Mobil 1 all day, every 5,000k. Castrol is junk, i dont know why people swear by it. Ultimately, if you run conventional and change every 3k, you ll be alright. But Im a beliver in 5k synthetic oil changes. I am the GM of an oil change franchise so I see it all day long..btw, one of my customers has a 06 gs300 w 200k. Nothing but synthetic oil changes...does burn oil though
Old 05-24-12, 11:37 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

lol... RP is not junk, it's been in many testimonials and many tests, you don't do oil analysis's yourself. You guys call this stuff JUNK because it drives the same. Of course all oils will drive the same! It's how well the car preserves the crank bearings and whatnot. RP has been used in many high HP cars simply because it preseves the life of the engine MUCH longer than conventional oil. Please don't rag on synthetic oils that work the same as any other oil, as that's NOT how you make a comparison *sigh*.

As for the O.E. Oil filters, there have been many testimonails, as well as personal testings from a few oil guru's that toyota/lexus O.E. filters aren't as up to par as some cheap filters like pureONE gold. So far best bang for your buck (and even better than the $15 mobil1 synthetic filters) are pureone gold filters.
Old 05-25-12, 02:36 PM
jusdach
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alchemist
Royal Purple is a waste of money. I have tried almost every brand of oil in multiple cars. Spend $35 at Wal-Mart and get 7 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic and change your oil with this every 5k. Buy a box of ten filters off ebay or through Sewell parts and you're good-to-go. Do the work yourself as well - it is super simple.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/images/...9228065002.jpg
Do I really need to get one of these $60 Lexus filter wrenches to get to the filter cartridge? About to do my second oil change since buying my GS350. The first time I had the oil changed on this car was the first time I ever paid for an oil change because I was told you did. I've always done them myself but I've only owned American with simple spin-on filters.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Changes!!