GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Dealer refusing to service car

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-12, 05:23 AM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer refusing to service car

So I recently bought a certified 2007 GS450h on 3/12/12 and have since then had significant rattles in my dash and the right speaker. I scheduled an appointment with the dealer I bought it from and even dropped off the car and got a loaner. Well later that day I received a call from my salesperson who stated that if I wanted anything repaired right now, it would be out of my pocket and then stated that they would only start working on these issues after 30 days had passed.

I understand that technically the warranty does not start until 30 days after the purchase of a CPO otherwise the dealer has to eat the cost, but is what they're doing right? Do I have to pay for the repairs? Or can I go to another dealer and have all the work done so I don't have to deal with the dealer I purchased it from?

I really want to love this car but those dash rattle are driving me insane, not to mention they're embarrasing when I have friends in the car.
Old 03-25-12, 05:46 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Do you have any chance of returning the car? I would just pull that out and say "Ok, well, I'm still within my right to return the car, so if this stuff can't be fixed, I'd like to go ahead and return it for one that doesn't have this problem...or I'll just go to BMW/Infinity, etc"
Old 03-25-12, 06:19 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by shpatel
I understand that technically the warranty does not start until 30 days after the purchase of a CPO otherwise the dealer has to eat the cost, but is what they're doing right? Do I have to pay for the repairs? Or can I go to another dealer and have all the work done so I don't have to deal with the dealer I purchased it from?
That is the part i don't understand. I bought my car CPO and my dealership had ZERO problems fixing my dash issue and brake noise within a week of me buying it. for your protection, you should look for the fine print that says anything about 30 days because if it were me and i could return the car, i definetly would. Also, why is the sales person calling you and not the Service Advisor or Service manager? You should call Lexus Corp and verify what CPO will cover.
Old 03-25-12, 08:34 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I had heard at one time that Lexus Corporate gets really pissed if a dealer Certifies a car and then it comes right back in for repairs. Basically they are covering their *** with Lexus Corporate.

I say raise hell and get it done or return the car and buy one at a dealer that will take care of you.

I bought a CPO and had it back in the next week for rattle repairs with no issues.
Old 03-25-12, 10:52 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most, if not all aftermarket warranty programs have a 30 day grace period. Read the manual that came with the warranty, it has to be clearly stated in print for them to deny service.

If it is stated then just wait until after the 30 period and bring the car to another dealer or the same dealership. Its not a mechanical issue with the drivability of the car so you won't be stranded.

steviej
Old 03-25-12, 11:35 AM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by steviej
Most, if not all aftermarket warranty programs have a 30 day grace period. Read the manual that came with the warranty, it has to be clearly stated in print for them to deny service.

If it is stated then just wait until after the 30 period and bring the car to another dealer or the same dealership. Its not a mechanical issue with the drivability of the car so you won't be stranded.

steviej
So I checked with Lexus and they clearly stated that the CPO warranty by Lexus starts the day of purchase and is in effect for 3 years or 100K miles. So that being said it sounds like my dealer is giving me the run around. I've fired off an email to the GM of the dealer so we'll see what he has to say.
Old 03-25-12, 12:08 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

So I checked with Lexus and they clearly stated that the CPO warranty by Lexus starts the day of purchase and is in effect for 3 years or 100K miles. So that being said it sounds like my dealer is giving me the run around. I've fired off an email to the GM of the dealer so we'll see what he has to say.
I'm glad you got to the bottom of that 30 day thing. Like i said, it sounded like BS from the salesman.
Old 03-25-12, 03:26 PM
mrbulk
Rookie

Originally Posted by msgs350
I'm glad you got to the bottom of that 30 day thing. Like i said, it sounded like BS from the salesman.
Probably comes out of his commission (repairs added to the cost of the car which is what his commission is baed on) for failing to get them agreed upon to be fixed before you picked up the car.
Old 03-25-12, 05:07 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

This occured with me and I went to another dealership that did the work for me and said they heard that 30 day thing but the dealership I purchased said the same thing. I understand that Its a matter of pressing to get what you want, I emailed the GM the next day I had an appointment. To bad I went to another dealer.
Old 03-25-12, 07:25 PM
LexFather

Raise hell that is garbage.
Old 03-25-12, 11:07 PM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Raise hell that is garbage.
Oh I plan too. I still have not heard back from the GM but it is Sunday so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. And just to add fuel to the fire, my tire pressure monitor just lit up saying that I have low tire pressure. WTF!!! Seriously Lexus is in decline. My fathers 2004 LS430 is built like a tank and the service he receives at Woodfield Lexus outside of Chicago is so much better than I'm being treated here. I'm just shocked at the inconsistency of service at different Lexus dealerships. In my mind I thought they were all pretty much the same.

I'll be heading to the dealer tomorrow to have the TPMS light taken care of.
Old 03-26-12, 07:56 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

..... my tire pressure monitor just lit up saying that I have low tire pressure. WTF!!! Seriously Lexus is in decline....
Come on, dude! Lexus is in decline because you have low tire pressure? I'd be pissed at the dealer too, for your warranty run-around issue, but as far as the tire pressure, just add the freaking air.
Old 03-26-12, 12:11 PM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Come on, dude! Lexus is in decline because you have low tire pressure? I'd be pissed at the dealer too, for your warranty run-around issue, but as far as the tire pressure, just add the freaking air.
My overall treatment from the purchasing of the vehicle and now servicing it have been poor and not something that should be expected from a premium brand that prides itself on customer service.

Also today when I went to go add air to the tires, I noticed that 2 of the unidirectional tires were rotating the wrong way. It's details like this that I don't expect from Lexus.
Old 03-27-12, 03:47 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sod all to do with Lexus, and everything to do with a poorly managed/run franchise - bit like complaining that McD's are crap because the one you visited had run out of vanilla shake mix!
If you don't log your complaint with Lexus CS, they can't know they've a potential brand-damaging dealership.
Then again, maybe you should've asked for an appointment with either the Service Manager or Dealer Principle, to discuss your grievance.

Pity you jumped to another dealer, and foisted the issue upon them (they didn't profit from selling you the car) instead of having the original one resolve it to your satisfaction, or return for a refund, then give another dealership with the right sort of attitude, then profit.
No point returning the car now, as they'll benefit from having the issues fixed at no cost to them, unless you feel that aggrieved and somewhat spiteful.
Just make sure to give the other dealership any of your future business, and point people you speak with to them, and not the one you're complaining about.
Old 03-27-12, 06:01 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

hmm that's weird... i also bought a CPO 2007 GS450h and i brought my car to the dealer because my key been acting weird, they took my car in no question ask and got me a brand new 2012 RX350 loaner, 6 hours later they call me and say they don't see anything wrong with the car nor the keys, so then i just pick up my car back and the problem actually go away and that was within the first 2 weeks after i first bought my car