GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Oil Filter Changing Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 09:03 AM
JerzeeB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Filter Changing Question

Hello CL,

Currently I'm using Amsoil Synthetic in my GS350. From talking to a Amsoil distributer, and the researching the company's website...it states that I should change the oil every 15,000K miles.

The filter that I am using is the OEM stock Toyota oil filter, which should be changed around every 5k. (I think)

Please forgive my ignorance, but when I did the oil change and added the Amsoil and filter change...I emptied the oil pan 1st, and then changed the filter.

Now, I would like to just change the oil filter. My question is...If I change the oil filter, will all of the oil come out of the vehicle? Or, can I just change the oil filter without any worries?

Thank you CL.....
Old 05-26-11, 10:01 AM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I think you should be able to just change the filter without all of the oil coming out through the oil filter openning. But if there are any (if at all), you can always let it drain out then pour it back (make sure clean pan). I am not sure if it's also help, but you can jack the front of the car higher to minimize oil coming out through filter hole, since the filter is in front of the engine. No biggie.

A bit off topic, I would just change both the oil and filter at 5k. I am not implying anything here. It's just make it easier for you interms of labor and better for your engine. This is what I would do doesn't matter what oil I use.
Old 05-26-11, 10:15 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did once remove the filter before remove the plug. I think about half a quot of oil came out.

But I advice against just changing the filter without changing oil. This half quot of oil is the oil go into your engine INSTANTLY the moment the engine turn.
Old 05-26-11, 10:25 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

over 100k miles, you're looking at $700 tops to use 5 qts of synthetic ever 3k miles instead of stretching to 15k. Easy decision in my mind to change the oil with the filter. I've got a couple of cars w/ 200-250k on them and the top end still looks new due to every 3k synthetic changes.

If you swap cars frequently, I wouldn't worry about it but if you keep them long term, frequent oil changes are cheap insurance.
Old 05-26-11, 10:33 AM
JerzeeB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great advice. I just paid a lot for the Amsoil Synthetic Oil, and I didn't want to have to change it before the recommended change time interval. I was just told to make sure that I change the oil filter by the recommended Lexus oil filter change interval.

I guess if I have to change them both at around 5,000miles, then I will just stick to Mobile1 (Walmart) and order my filters from Sewell Lexus.

Thanks.....
Old 05-26-11, 10:48 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JerzeeB
Thanks for the great advice. I just paid a lot for the Amsoil Synthetic Oil, and I didn't want to have to change it before the recommended change time interval. I was just told to make sure that I change the oil filter by the recommended Lexus oil filter change interval.

I guess if I have to change them both at around 5,000miles, then I will just stick to Mobile1 (Walmart) and order my filters from Sewell Lexus.

Thanks.....
Yeah, my numbers were based on Mobil1 not Amsoil, which is the top of the food chain for fluids. Toyo filters + Walmart Mobil1 has served me well, but engines, use, and conditions are going to vary person to person.

Sending oil samples off to see when they start to break down for your specific application is probably the best bet so you can do cost/benefit on what fluids/interval to use.
Old 05-26-11, 11:21 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
I did once remove the filter before remove the plug. I think about half a quot of oil came out.

But I advice against just changing the filter without changing oil. This half quot of oil is the oil go into your engine INSTANTLY the moment the engine turn.
I don't think it makes any difference. When you change filter, with or without the oil change, you empty the oil filter canister in both cases. So, when you first start the engine, it takes about 1 second or so for the oil pump to pump the oil back into the canister and up the system.

So after you change your filter with or without oil, the first second after start your engine will have no oil pressure.

As far as oil change interval, Lexus recommends 5K miles. You can't hurt anything by changing it every 3K, or 1K, or every 10 miles, but why? I change mine at 5-6K. On my old Mercedes I change oil every 8-10K. I always use Walmart brand fully synthetic oil.
Old 05-26-11, 02:02 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife's new RX350 requires an oil/filter change every 10k because Lexus is now using synthetic oil. I asked her service advisor if I could also abide by that schedule if I used synthetic - he said yes. I will still change both every 75k.
BTW, I get the oil filter for over $3.00 less at the Totota dealer vs. Lexus - the filter is the same, as I've purchased them from both in the past.
Old 05-26-11, 02:03 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

CORRECTION: every 7.5k - sorry.