GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Here we go!! We do have the acceleration problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 08:03 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JBasco20
its all complete BS and all its doing is making the value of our cars go down QUICK! one of the reason i choose lexus over MB was resale value.... Now im starting to wonder if i should trade the car off before it drops more.... I work in auto finance and right now every Toyota product is suffering bad because of this....
It will blow over.
Old 03-18-10, 08:09 AM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I think this whole scenario could have been avoided if the dumb *** who killed himself and all the others in that car would have just put the car in neutral. We need way more stringent driving tests in the U.S. There is nothing wrong with the GS. Just a bunch of hypochondriacs. And to clear something else up, the brakes in the newer GS are not electronic, they are hydraulic just like the rest of them. There is an electronic brake assist, but the meat of the system is the same as all the rest.
Old 03-18-10, 11:59 AM
JBasco20
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
It will blow over.
but the damage to the value is being done now.... and after it drops its done... its not going to go back up....
Old 03-18-10, 02:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by JBasco20
but the damage to the value is being done now.... and after it drops its done... its not going to go back up....
yup!!!! wishful thinking is not going to help a lot
Old 03-18-10, 03:54 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by fleishelja
Yep, I think this whole scenario could have been avoided if the dumb *** who killed himself and all the others in that car would have just put the car in neutral. We need way more stringent driving tests in the U.S. There is nothing wrong with the GS. Just a bunch of hypochondriacs. And to clear something else up, the brakes in the newer GS are not electronic, they are hydraulic just like the rest of them. There is an electronic brake assist, but the meat of the system is the same as all the rest.
Yes, the dumbass you are referring to was a seasoned CHP officer .....if anyone should have survived this, it should have been someone like that...perhaps it is not as easy as throwing it in neutral...
Old 03-18-10, 07:54 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Yes, the dumbass you are referring to was a seasoned CHP officer .....if anyone should have survived this, it should have been someone like that...perhaps it is not as easy as throwing it in neutral...
There are many instances of police officers who make the wrong decisions under pressure. We know from the 911 tape he didn't say that he tried neutral. We also know the previous driver of that loaner experienced the issue and was able to stop the car by moving the mat. And as a Lexus ES350 owner I have personally flicked the car into neutral at over 80 mph so I know that works.
Old 03-18-10, 08:46 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Who's the dumb a$$? With all due respect, your missing key facts, but frankly, I don't have the energy to fill you in... I think EyeKutr said it best.

Lee
Old 03-18-10, 09:22 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
There are many instances of police officers who make the wrong decisions under pressure. We know from the 911 tape he didn't say that he tried neutral. We also know the previous driver of that loaner experienced the issue and was able to stop the car by moving the mat. And as a Lexus ES350 owner I have personally flicked the car into neutral at over 80 mph so I know that works.
(fleishelja) Dude if it was ure family member you wouldn't call him a "Dumass". It could of been mili seconds honestly ppl who dont mess with cars and that never have drove stick never use neutral. Also keep in mind once this story come's to an end it will be history. It will take a lot more to put lexus and toyota down. There are a lot of repeat customer's that know that lexus and toyota are good reliable car. Also look on the bright side at least they admit and trying to do something about to so called "sticky pedals" not like other who keep denying everything u bring up.
Old 03-18-10, 09:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Do you honestly think that CHP officer really wanted to kill himself, wife, daughter, and brother in law???
Old 03-19-10, 05:08 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

so I took a picture today of the AWD accelerator pedal. you all with RWDs can compare, but I think they are different. My GS does not have an acceleration problem...and I don't believe all the BS going around about this stuff...just wanted to clarify the misconception that the RWD and AWD had the same pedals.

Old 03-19-10, 07:43 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
(fleishelja) Dude if it was ure family member you wouldn't call him a "Dumass". It could of been mili seconds honestly ppl who dont mess with cars and that never have drove stick never use neutral. Also keep in mind once this story come's to an end it will be history. It will take a lot more to put lexus and toyota down. There are a lot of repeat customer's that know that lexus and toyota are good reliable car. Also look on the bright side at least they admit and trying to do something about to so called "sticky pedals" not like other who keep denying everything u bring up.
I did not use that word. I just said that the previous driver of that vehicle figured out how to move the mat off the pedal, and the police officer did not figure that out. I find that surprising.

Either way I think the dealer is to blame not the car. All cars would have this issue if you put an oversized mat that interferes with the pedal.
Old 03-19-10, 08:21 PM
enigmaos
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed.
Old 03-19-10, 09:38 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
so I took a picture today of the AWD accelerator pedal. you all with RWDs can compare, but I think they are different. My GS does not have an acceleration problem...and I don't believe all the BS going around about this stuff...just wanted to clarify the misconception that the RWD and AWD had the same pedals.

Wow this picture made me feel even happier about my black interior. Looks like it gets dirty and stained pretty easily in that colour. I'm also glad my car has this type of pedal, as I don't like the other kind at all... though I suppose I'd just get used to it either way.
Old 03-20-10, 05:54 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

that's the only spot in the car that looks like that. I too wanted black interior, but apparently the blue/black combo was impossible to find in my area, and I was dead-set on the blue exterior color.
Old 03-20-10, 06:46 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

To all the guys that have trouble stopping in the snow. I have been driving in the snow since the early 70's. I live in an area of the country where the terrain can get quite steep and it's been standard practice for many of us that when the car is warming up, you need to be in neutral to stop well since the engine at high idle will continue to push the car if it's still in drive. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you either need to wait until the high idle is off or disengage the drive wheels when you need to stop while high idle is on. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Here we go!! We do have the acceleration problem!!!