GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Disabling DRL

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-09, 07:26 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't think they can refuse. It i your car, and the DRLs are not required by law.
Old 12-02-09, 01:51 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
Where in the manual does it states that DRL can be turn off? I couldn't find it.
HERE YOU GO GUYS...

Based on 2007 GS350 owner's manual:
--> 6-2 Customization, Page 521
--> Under "Automatic Light Control System
--> 3rd Function = "Daytime Running Light"
(Default = ON) / (Cutomized Setting = OFF*) *Vehicles sold outside of Canada

Originally Posted by ivanz
Considering it is illegal NOT to have DRLs in most places outside of the US, there is a reason not to have a switch or include it in LPS.

If my dealer turned it off, they would possibly be commiting a crime and I would get a ticket which allows the police to impound my car if I don't get it fixed in a certain number of days.
Well, majority of Lexus are being sold in U.S.A. So why do we have to follow the rule from another country, even though we do kinda own that country anyway...

Originally Posted by Luke27617
During my last visit to Lexus dealership to change my setting I have asked them to disable DRL as well. I got a polite NO.

Any ideas?
I have showed you where to look in the owner's manual, now it is time for you to let your dealership know
"WHO IS THEir DADDY"!!!

Trust me, your Lexus will look so much better without that ugly DRL (and might make you years younger too)!!!

Last edited by slk_dds; 12-02-09 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-02-09, 02:41 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slk_dds

Well, majority of Lexus are being sold in U.S.A. So why do we have to follow the rule from another country, even though we do kinda own that country anyway...
Because DRLs are not illegal in the US, and are illegal not to have in most other countries. Plus it statistically reduces the number of crashes, so it does give Lexus a boost in safety.
Old 12-02-09, 03:29 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what's funny is some toyota have the ability to turn it off via a lever on the light switch yet lexus has to go through all these trouble to turn off something so simple..
Old 12-02-09, 04:13 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

LOL, I know Lexus added DRL to make people feel safer driving their vehicles!!!

Originally Posted by ivanz
Because DRLs are not illegal in the US, and are illegal not to have in most other countries.
But just to clearify the fact, only 12 out of 192~194 countries required to have DRL (countries that snows ALOT).

Plus it statistically reduces the number of crashes.
But at the same time they did not include the accidents caused by ones that forget to turn-on the actual headlights due to DRL...

I am not trying to debate good/bad about the DRL, but mainly about some CL members are been refused for their right to turn-off the DRL...

Personally I always drive with my headlight on, the only reason I turnoff the DRL is b/c of the following reason:
1. Save the battery... whenever I park my toy in the streets or parking lots, I always leave the parking lights on. So it is less likely for morons to run into it, I got hit&run so many time already... including my current GS, when it was only two weeks old... Since all of parking lights on the GS are LEDs, so it would not consume that much of energy excep the DRL (27~28watts).
2. I do idling my vehicles quiet often (usually waiting for my wife to get her rear out of malls or her office), and it gets kinda annoying seeing that ugly yellow DRL!!!

Originally Posted by whlkev
what's funny is some toyota have the ability to turn it off via a lever on the light switch yet lexus has to go through all these trouble to turn off something so simple..
I KNOW, RIGHT!!!
Old 12-02-09, 04:53 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealership refused first citing that they did not know if it could be done.

I printed out an instruction and they promptly turned it off. I also asked them to keep the instruction for other vehicles and they did. Just ask nicely and you just might get it done.
Old 12-02-09, 05:44 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Yang1815
My dealership refused first citing that they did not know if it could be done.

I printed out an instruction and they promptly turned it off. I also asked them to keep the instruction for other vehicles and they did. Just ask nicely and you just might get it done.
what instruction are you talking about?
Old 12-03-09, 07:14 AM
SRGS300
Pole Position

I think my V-led drls make the car look 10 times better then with them off. And leds don't drain much battery
Old 12-03-09, 07:29 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SRGS300
I think my V-led drls make the car look 10 times better then with them off. And leds don't drain much battery
Did you replace your fog lights and parking lights with V-leds too?
Old 12-03-09, 08:14 AM
SRGS300
Pole Position

Nope. I do have leds on the parking lights but hids on the fogs
Old 12-03-09, 08:17 AM
1GStoEnvy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SRGS300

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Did you replace your fog lights and parking lights with V-leds too?
just keep in mind that if you replace you DRL aka high beams with the V-LED drl kit.... that when you turn your high beams on you're using the LEDs which isn't that bright if you really need the high beams... (i have the V-LED drl kit on my GS and i'm thinking about taking it back off and putting my HIDs back in there)
Old 12-03-09, 09:26 AM
SRGS300
Pole Position

I know I lost my highbeams but that's y I have hid fogs.
Old 12-03-09, 09:48 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I can only think of a handful of occasions over the last few years where I used highbeams for anything but blipping. Those few times I did use them, there was no particular reason for doing so I would have been fine without them... there just wasn't anybody around at the time.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure if the colour of the lights bothers me enough to bother doing anything about it at all considering the cost.
Old 12-03-09, 11:00 AM
SRGS300
Pole Position

It is a little pricey but worth the look
Old 12-03-09, 01:43 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arnieosp
what instruction are you talking about?
What slk_dds posted.