GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 01-06-15, 04:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

It's finally done....GS300 LED turn signal mirror covers installed...DIY thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 08:15 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
what where the colors of the wires that you tapped into in the rear? they should run through where you ran your wire up. I want to see if I can tap them/find them in that bundle of wires and then I can post a pic if I have success. Did you try to run the wire through the door grommet?

Nicely done! Cant wait to pick mine up tomorrow at the Post Office.

Bro, by the time I was ready to run the wire through the grommet, I realized the grommet enters the car up a bit under the dash and it would be tought to get it done, doable I am sure but I had white wire and it is hard to see it in a white car LOL. It also is small gauge wire that I used. I took my tester and poked at a few wires while the blinkers were on and was unable to find the blinker wires. The bundle literally has about 40 wires in it so i figured go to the source which by the way literally takes 10 minutes at most to tap and run front to back. Wires were yellow and white at the signal on both sides, I have to assume they change colors through a harness but who knows, you can test for yellow and white in the wire bundles....
Old 01-19-09, 08:30 AM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks sweet!
Old 01-19-09, 08:44 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Bro, by the time I was ready to run the wire through the grommet, I realized the grommet enters the car up a bit under the dash and it would be tought to get it done, doable I am sure but I had white wire and it is hard to see it in a white car LOL. It also is small gauge wire that I used. I took my tester and poked at a few wires while the blinkers were on and was unable to find the blinker wires. The bundle literally has about 40 wires in it so i figured go to the source which by the way literally takes 10 minutes at most to tap and run front to back. Wires were yellow and white at the signal on both sides, I have to assume they change colors through a harness but who knows, you can test for yellow and white in the wire bundles....
lol..I hear ya! I did the same on the IS350 as you did hear but was hoping it would be easier to push through on the GS. Guess I need to find some red wire for my car I tried to push a piece of coat hanger through on the IS and I wasnt luck to get it through so I just left the wire out. I went under the hood on the IS but if you looked hard enough you could see where I ran the wire through the front quarter panel. It does look like a lot of wires. Wishful thinking on my part

so any others plans now that you knocked this one out
Old 01-19-09, 11:07 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice! you got 08 wheels too eh?
Old 01-19-09, 06:31 PM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write-up, still don't trust myself to do it on my own but thats a great DIY
Old 01-19-09, 08:47 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

It looks tough, but the hardest part was actually removing the mirror from the assembly, I am glad I did not break any of the infamous gears....
Old 01-19-09, 09:08 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job!!!!!!!!! Nice garage too!!

I have a question about the 4th pic down about the light on the door. The GX470 has the same light.I popped out the light with a screwdriver,replaced the bulb ,and put the light back in the door,but it keeps falling out. I think some type of glue is used from the factory to hold it in place,but,I am not sure. How did you get yours to stay put? I posted this in a couple of places,but,noone replied. Thanks for any info.
Old 01-19-09, 09:40 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2

so any others plans now that you knocked this one out
I am done for now, I really like to keep my cars looking OEM...

Originally Posted by Yang1815
nice! you got 08 wheels too eh?
My buddy gets chrome plated OEM wheels and got a set for me for cheap

Originally Posted by Wronglane
Great job!!!!!!!!! Nice garage too!!

I have a question about the 4th pic down about the light on the door. The GX470 has the same light.I popped out the light with a screwdriver,replaced the bulb ,and put the light back in the door,but it keeps falling out. I think some type of glue is used from the factory to hold it in place,but,I am not sure. How did you get yours to stay put? I posted this in a couple of places,but,noone replied. Thanks for any info.

Which light are we talking about??? if we are referring to the LED that is pointing in the map compartment, it simply has a snug fit and stays put that way, if yours is loose on the GX, then I would consider using either some double sided tape around the light to make it fatter or perhaps a little adhesive...
Old 01-20-09, 09:59 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

well here is what they look like in raw form. I got them directly from the MFG overseas so its not even assembled. I have to send them out to have painted with other things. You can get them pre-painted to your door so you dont have to send them out for paint. Did this on the last car and the match was perfect. This just was a better choice to get many things painted at once. Just wish I had the same weather to install that the OP did

the wires and lights are all in bags with the necessary hardware. I will post up what it looks like on Red and hope it looks as good as it does on White.
Old 01-20-09, 10:12 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

WOW, very nice!!!!!
Finally, 2 of you got the mirrors!
haha.

Nice DIY Write Up.

Is there any interest in this mirrors?

let me know, I can set something up for you guys.
Old 01-20-09, 12:08 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Hey Nigel, I am glad you chimed in, I wish I had ordered them from you and help support our sponsors....
Old 01-20-09, 12:23 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ Nigel is a great! He is so responsive to his PM's and very detailed. I like this as many others do not respond as he does. I promised him I would post a DIY for this and you beat me to it I hope there is enough interest for Nigel to put a GB together for everyone. I will post in the next few weeks so you can get a visual on Red and if I am so luck to tap the wires up closer I will try...but I like the method of running the wire all the way back and not messing with that mess of wires
Old 01-20-09, 12:43 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Running the wire back to the trunk also allows for quick fuse checks if needed, since I simply spliced the fuse behind the little panel one removes for chainging turn signal bulbs....
Old 01-20-09, 01:12 PM
CLUB300
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 8 Posts

Where can I get these for my IS 300?
Old 01-20-09, 05:02 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Eyekutr, excellent job on the write up. Took bad I don't need to do this mod!

Quick Reply: It's finally done....GS300 LED turn signal mirror covers installed...DIY thread