GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

TPMS on Sewell Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-07, 05:07 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS on Sewell Lexus

Okay,

All this talk about bigger wheels has me wondering how common is it to have to replace your TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) with a wheel upgrade?

Sewell Lexus has this part listed for about $340 so it got me wondering does this get damaged very often with 20" or 21" wheels? My current cars have TPMS and the local tire store rotates the tire without problems.

I assume changing out the wheel and/or tire is where "damage" may occur.
Is this why Sewell Lexus lists the TPMS part right next to the wheels?

Finally, the 18" spider wheels by Lexus offers a "staggered" set-up for the rear. I am inclined to purchase the stock Spider wheels from Sewell and lower my car with Tanabe springs. My question is do I go staggered or standard in the rear. Other than increased tire wear will the staggered set-up increase the probability of early brake or transmission failure? Why would lexus offer the staggered set-up in 18" wheels if damage was likely?
Old 12-02-07, 07:37 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is common for people to pick up another set of TPMS. Why? Because people like to have a set of OEM stocks sitting around incase they want to change up from the after market wheels, not to mention people that live in rainy/cold climates.

I would not "upgrade" the g-spider stocks from lexus, but go with an after market company. Go bigger on a staggered set up. But thats just me. Staggered set-ups will not damage the drive train unless you drive like a maniac and thats your own fault. One of the reasons why a staggered set up is bad, is that you can not rotate the tires which might mean when the inside of the tire wears down more then the rest, you might have to flip the tires.

Lexus has a staggered set up on the 2IS, so it can't be a bad thing.
Old 12-03-07, 02:06 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Valueguy
Okay,

All this talk about bigger wheels has me wondering how common is it to have to replace your TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) with a wheel upgrade?

Sewell Lexus has this part listed for about $340 so it got me wondering does this get damaged very often with 20" or 21" wheels? My current cars have TPMS and the local tire store rotates the tire without problems.

I assume changing out the wheel and/or tire is where "damage" may occur.
Is this why Sewell Lexus lists the TPMS part right next to the wheels?

Finally, the 18" spider wheels by Lexus offers a "staggered" set-up for the rear. I am inclined to purchase the stock Spider wheels from Sewell and lower my car with Tanabe springs. My question is do I go staggered or standard in the rear. Other than increased tire wear will the staggered set-up increase the probability of early brake or transmission failure? Why would lexus offer the staggered set-up in 18" wheels if damage was likely?
The 18" G-Spider staggered setup was designed for the IS250/350. The 18" G-Spider's came out for the 3GS first before the IS' version. The GS version is 18x8 +45 offset all around.

You don't need to replace your whole TPMS system with a wheel/tire upgrade. This is why Sewell offers an extra set. It is smart to buy a second set TPM's so you can keep the first set with your OEM wheels in an event of swapping back and forth. This is especially good for those who have to run a winter set of tires in that season.

BTW, staggered wheel setups for your GS will not damage your transmission or cause premature brake failure. Unless you plan to fill your tires with wet concrete and lead, you have nothing to worry about.