GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Damaged rim after brake pad swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-07, 12:03 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged rim after brake pad swap

What is with me and this car, I can't get any slack! I decided to wash my car. First time since I got the anti-brake dust pads. And its sweet, my rims arn't gray at all. What do I noticed? They used a airgun to put on the bolts (pretty sure on that) and they nicked the rim! See picture. I'm like so fuming mad. First they take days on my car, and now this. Of course its a Sunday, so I can't call the service department. I emailed my saleman for now.
Attached Thumbnails Damaged rim after brake pad swap-damrim.jpg  
Old 08-06-07, 12:05 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Do you think they will fix it, or replace it? Or find some sort of BS that says they aren't responsible? I never had to take my tires off, and I know they had to remove my tires to put on the pads.
Old 08-06-07, 05:57 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Damn that sucks. Don't worry too much, it's pretty minor damage that should be easily fixed by any competent wheel repair entity.
Old 08-06-07, 07:34 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

They will swap out that rim for you, just point it out nicely and ask them nicely, then they will use your rim and 3 others as core for a chrome exchange. They should have those rims around. Dont sweat it and just ask them to swap it for a new rim.
Old 08-06-07, 07:44 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

They messed up a rim of mine once, and I had them fix all 4 because of the hastle.
THey probably won't completely just swap out, they will bring in a wheel repair guy who will probably work wonders to the point where you don't even notice the chips after he's done.
At least with mine, it's to my satisfaction.
Good luck.
Old 08-06-07, 02:24 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder if I can get them to do that for mine. if they can then I wouldnt mind using a repair shop vs replacing a whole rim.
How long were you without a car?
Old 08-06-07, 03:22 PM
lexusgs408
Lead Lap

yeah you got to becareful everytime you bring your car to the service department and when you're checking it out. That sucks!!!
Old 08-06-07, 03:32 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

My sales rep called. They are still thinking abut what they want to do. The tech guy sounded surprised that I asked for the other rims to be fixed for all the trouble I had so far with them. we'll see. I hope they get back to me soon
Old 08-06-07, 04:32 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by starstreak
How long were you without a car?
It only takes them an afternoon to actually fix (even all 4 wheels).

BUT they kept it for 48 hours, b/c the paint / clear coat had to cure.

they didn't want even water touching it.

So this is what I told my service rep. Clearly you guys damaged my wheel, the mark similar to yours was on a wheel.
I said I will either take care of this one of two ways.
1. I turn this into my insurance company, you(the dealership) covers my 250.00 deductible plus and insurance monthly raises b/c of this claim,

OR

2. you hire whomever they use to fix wheels, for whatever they cost, (which since it's a dealership they get it for cheap).... and fix NOT 1, but all 4 of them, just b/c of the frustration and time needed to bring my car in for another unecessary service trip....

OBVIOUSLY, they opted for the cheaper route, hiring their wheel guy and fixed all 4 wheels.

Now I have what looks like 4 brand new wheels, with 13K on them.

I don't put up with crap from anyone..... you shouldn't either.
Old 08-06-07, 04:40 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I'll see what happens. Right now they were in sock that I asked for my other rims to be fixed.no call back from them yet.
And Jace7 I still want to see what your lights look like at night.
Old 08-06-07, 07:50 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I'll see what happens. Right now they were in sock that I asked for my other rims to be fixed.no call back from them yet.
Hey I am sorry this happened to you but what is to fix on the other rims, you have 4k miles on your car, what the heck could be wrong with your rims.....I mean they are rims, unless they have curb rash it is 100% unreasonable to ask for them to fix them all (whatever that means) You dont want some funky at the dealership treatment on your rims anyways....just tell them to swap out that rim for a new one, how hard is that ???
Old 08-06-07, 07:51 PM
sportcross
Driver School Candidate

my 07 gs350 (4) wheels got nicked when they (Glendae)washed it. they ended up fixing all of the wheels.
Old 08-06-07, 07:59 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

There was a whole lot more to this than just the nicked rim. They have been screwing with me since the start for different things. Too much to repeat here. Anyways, I said for them to repair the other rims just for the sake of having them do it for compensation. A small example was me driving to and from them over 8 times (4 times back and forth) for something that should been at the most 2 times. Dunno about you, but I get 16mpg and the distance one way is 20+miles. 3 of those times was in traffic. Thats 160 miles. Thats over $40 in gas, not including the hours waisted. They didn't even give an apology the first time untill I... nevermind. Getting worked up over them agian. You get the drift.

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Hey I am sorry this happened to you but what is to fix on the other rims, you have 4k miles on your car, what the heck could be wrong with your rims.....I mean they are rims, unless they have curb rash it is 100% unreasonable to ask for them to fix them all (whatever that means) You dont want some funky at the dealership treatment on your rims anyways....just tell them to swap out that rim for a new one, how hard is that ???
Edit: ok you got me getting mad about them again. How many dealers do you know that supposed to be "high end" that... Had me drop off the car the night before and yet still needed me to leave my car overnight for the 5k oil change? They told me I should be thankful they "rushed" it 4pm, as some cars didn't even get started. Then ask me why didn't I get a loaner? I told them I was told this shouldn't NEED a loaner. Well you should've gotten one just to be safe. I ask, do you have a loaner? Heh, you have to book one about a month out. So why tell me to get a loaner? I report an issue about a buzzing in an electrical wire. The GM of the service says he can't hear it. My sales guy slips and says he can hear it. The GM shot him a look saying he should fix it. Then he tells me he'll open a tkt on it. Its been 7 months. Guess what? I was told there was no tkt opened. I brought in my car back to finish servicing when they had a loaner. I had them fix :a hard to close gas cover ,which they fixed by sticking a washer behind the trigger. My lights which was angled wrong (they made it worse, but forget it, not gonna have them touch it), my drivers seatbelt which was locking up for no reason, and of course my brake pads. They fixed the brakes. That took the whole day, then they needed me to allow them to keep the car another day to fixed the rest the next day. So all in all, it took them 3 days to fix something, which at the start if they told me it would need a loaner, should've been done in at most two days. Don't even get me started that since Hawaii buys their cars "differently" than those car dealerships on the mainland, he could only offer me about 1.5k off the car. The car had about 100miles on it. He said it wasn't a loaner or a demo car, it was untitlted. I fell for it. More I think about it, how the hell does a car have 100miles on the car, when it goes from a boat to the dealer showroom? Other cars there at 21miles on it. One at under 15miles. Theres more to what else they did, but now you get the idea.

Last edited by starstreak; 08-06-07 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-06-07, 07:59 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be reasonable, ask them to fix the one that they damaged.
Old 08-06-07, 08:32 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree....asking for all to be fixed is absurd. Plus, if the others are not bad, don't mess with them. These rims, like infiniti M rims have a metallic shine to them that is often not there if the EXACT OEM paint is not used. It all depends on the quality of the repair. Lots of times a mobile repair shop will have to mix a color to match but the overall luster or metallic look will not be the same. OEM is always best.

Quick Reply: Damaged rim after brake pad swap