GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Damaged rim after brake pad swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-07, 08:38 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

You are upset but dont be, if they screw with you, call corporate and let them know. It sucks you have so many issues on this car, but they are minor. I would not let them touch my car unless absoluetly necessary. Just tell them you need a new rim and have them call you when its there and wait for the swap, I would not let them keep my car doing some wheel touch up bulsh17 or resurface or whatever. They will simply send your rim in to get it chromed not repainted to match others, that does not work well....Insist on a new rim and get that swapped. Dont let them turn your rotors like you were asking in a diffrernt thread as they will probably f something up again, dont make them look at rattles unless you want a crinckle in your seat along with your rattle. Ive been there, lexus bought my first gs300 due to too many issues, new car had a dash rattle, i fixed it myself. it had a speaker related rattle in the door , i was hesitatnt to take in for the possibility of inadvertent damage and they replaced a ML speaker and I heard the rattle the minute i got back in my car, as well as another door rattle. I took the door apart and insulaed the switch assembly where it meets the door panel and all is quiet again....point is, be nice as it seems you have very little choice of dealerships, dont burn your bridges, you may need them for something important in the future....As for the 100 miles, it is very possible 2 people took it for a long test drive and decided on something else...life is too short to get this worked up...also make an appt for your 10k service now !!!! even if it is a month or two away so you get a loaner !!

Last edited by EyeKutr; 08-06-07 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-06-07, 08:43 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with eyekutr....plus since you're in HI...they are the only game not just in town but in the state. It's not like here in Atl where I have about 5 or 6 to choose from...see what they say but give em a shot just to replace that one rim. That's fair and most likely to serve you best. Good luck.
Old 08-06-07, 09:44 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gave them the option. Either replace or fix the rims. Anyways, after all the trouble I went through, I think its a fair option to them, its probably cheaper to fix 3 rims than replace one rim. I'm sure they have someone that fixes rims.

On a side note:
My Maxima went in for servicing that took longer than a day, they actually rented a loaner so I would have a car AND without me asking they at least offered a free oil change for the trouble. When I told my Lexus salesman that, he said well maybe I just caught Lexus service department on an off day. (This was before I found the nick, but after the service work). When I asked about at least getting an oil change for the problems I had, he said the service depart probably wouldnt do it. Yup, they didn't. Just think, if they offered me the oil change and an apology for the troubles, I would've complained here, but at least I would wrote how they treated me afterwards. Now, all they look like to me is some normal dealer that got my money.

Anyways its not like I was asking for new tires because of road noise. Just ribb'n ya.

Last edited by starstreak; 08-06-07 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-07-07, 06:54 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New tires for road noise is pretty legitimate.

Anyways, there's a second Lexus dealership in Kahului actually...
Old 08-07-07, 08:32 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by starstreak
And Jace7 I still want to see what your lights look like at night.
I will try and take some pictures tonight, I have just been so busy lately.... Worst case, I will take some nightime pictures over the weekend.
Old 08-07-07, 09:11 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Yang- Kahului is on another Island. :P As for road noise, I was just kidding, but then again, if those tires are that bad, which isn't to say they aren't, but that would mean everybody who owns one should have that same noise and there should be a recall. But I'm not starting an argument on that. If you reply about about the tire noise, I'll ignore it at this point as this thread isn't about that. As I said before I gave them a choice on what they can do. From replacing the tire to repairing it. If it was my choice, I think replacing is better. I didn't bring my car to Lexus to get a rim "repaired" it was fine when I brought my car to them.

Eye- Err.. I don't know what kind of test drive you guys have, but every car I ever bought took me on a test drive that was under a mile. When I "test drove" this Lexus, they took me around the block. One block. Then they had me park it. Even at 2 miles (one whole mile out and back, which no dealer did with me) that would mean 50 people test trove the car. Which isn't to say that was impossible, but doubtful. Around the block would be more like .5 miles. Even if I figured in 15miles like the IS I sat in before buying my car had, that still unreal ammount of people testing this car. I consider that a demo'ed car the more I think about it.
And yes, I'm aware that if you realy wanted to test the car, they CAN let you drive it to your house and back. Infiniti offered that to me to see if the car would fit in my garage. But they offered to jump into a demo car than allow me to drive the car I was in. I believe that more people abuse gassing/stopping hard/revving etc a test car than to ask to allow them to drive 50 miles. Give someone the choice of buying the exact car with 15mi on it vs the 100miles. Tell them its not a loaner/test/demo whatever.. I bet 10 out of 10 lexusclub users would say give me the car with 15miles on it.

Last edited by starstreak; 08-07-07 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-07-07, 02:00 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

UPDATE: Yay! the agreed to replace the rim, which is fine by me. They are also including my 10k checkup at no cost of the other troubles I've been having. They actually had the service manager apologise when he called, which matters alot to me. If I know it was done in error and they apologised, I wouldnt feel as bad or even ppossibly not had so much bad anger pent up inside of me. All is good. I bring in my car tomorrow. We'll see how that goes... fingers crossed.
Old 08-08-07, 12:37 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

All done. Very polite this time around. I got there, they changed the tire on the rim and was out in about 40mins. If it wasn't for morning traffic to town, I would say this was one of the best trips I had to Lexus.
Oh and for those thinking they gave me too much with the 10k service, that's only the oil change. That's not one of the major service.
Old 08-08-07, 02:04 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

All done. Very polite this time around. I got there, they changed the tire on the rim and was out in about 40mins. If it wasn't for morning traffic to town, I would say this was one of the best trips I had to Lexus.
Oh and for those thinking they gave me too much with the 10k service, that's only the oil change. That's not one of the major service.
Stars,
The dealer I bought my car did the exact same thing but to all four rims. They did it at the 5k service. They ended up replacing all four rims from take offs. I must have taken five trips down to the dealer. First time they talked me into chrome rims but when I got the car back, the chrome was pealing off one of the rims and the front end pulled to the left. This just started the whole nightmare. I ended up with four new rims and four new Yoko tires (these tires are terrible by the way). What topped it off was they put a dent in my door and overfilled the oil. I will not return to this dealer.

I asked if they used a Teflon coated lug wrench and they had this blank look on their face.. Go figure.

Lessons learned. Do your own oil changes and rotate your own tires. I thought I grew out of doing my own maintenance, but now I do it myself. A pain I could do without, but I actually save time this way. 30 min and I’m done

Also, the finish on these rims is not very hard. I now have a few nicks and scratches on the rims from regular highway driving.
Old 08-09-07, 08:45 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS2006
Stars,
The dealer I bought my car did the exact same thing but to all four rims. They did it at the 5k service. They ended up replacing all four rims from take offs. I must have taken five trips down to the dealer. First time they talked me into chrome rims but when I got the car back, the chrome was pealing off one of the rims and the front end pulled to the left. This just started the whole nightmare. I ended up with four new rims and four new Yoko tires (these tires are terrible by the way). What topped it off was they put a dent in my door and overfilled the oil. I will not return to this dealer.

I asked if they used a Teflon coated lug wrench and they had this blank look on their face.. Go figure.

Lessons learned. Do your own oil changes and rotate your own tires. I thought I grew out of doing my own maintenance, but now I do it myself. A pain I could do without, but I actually save time this way. 30 min and I’m done

Also, the finish on these rims is not very hard. I now have a few nicks and scratches on the rims from regular highway driving.

Hum...... if you are in DFW, I am pretty sure is Park Place.

They dent, and scratched my personal banker's SC430...
Old 08-09-07, 09:55 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slk_dds
Hum...... if you are in DFW, I am pretty sure is Park Place.

They dent, and scratched my personal banker's SC430...
Humm, the have the spot next to the boardwalk . They won awards.. poowie. They have issues and will not acknowledge it.
Old 08-09-07, 10:12 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS2006
Humm, the have the spot next to the boardwalk . They won awards.. poowie. They have issues and will not acknowledge it.
Only if they spend more time on GREASING our toys instead of committee members!!!
Old 08-09-07, 11:34 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
I agree with eyekutr....plus since you're in HI...they are the only game not just in town but in the state. It's not like here in Atl where I have about 5 or 6 to choose from...see what they say but give em a shot just to replace that one rim. That's fair and most likely to serve you best. Good luck.
Yang- Kahului is on another Island. :P
I know it's on another fricking island. My significant other's family is from Maui.
Old 08-09-07, 11:41 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Yang- Calm down. I wasn't calling you an idiot or something. Hence the "smile" at the end of the sentence. Your ID says Nebraska so I didn't know if you knew that and that you were just naming any Lexus dealer on the island. And its owned by the same parent company. So no better deals there, and no way am I shipping my car there for servicing. haha.