GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Color Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 10:56 AM
StevenC56
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Color Question

I have been told that the black paint on Lexus cars is very soft. Is it only the black or do all the darker colors have this issue/quality? My wife and I noticed that a SGM GS on our dealer's lot has quite a few scratches especially around the door handles. We are aware that this area is always a problem, however we are wondering if it is just because it shows up more on the darker color of if the "soft paint" issue is on all the darker colors like SGM and BSP as well as the Obsidian Black.
Old 06-24-07, 11:13 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black on any car is more work. If you like it, find a good detailer and have him work it once a quarter to reduce swirls. Good luck!
Old 06-24-07, 05:52 PM
StevenC56
Driver

Originally Posted by noncom23
Black on any car is more work. If you like it, find a good detailer and have him work it once a quarter to reduce swirls. Good luck!
I'm not talking about the typical "blacks and dark colors are harder maintain". I have been told by more than one Lexus owner that the Lexus black is softer than other manufacturer's blacks and some of them have even had their Lexus dealership do some kind of re-clearcoating procedure to correct it.
Old 06-24-07, 10:51 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would think that the clear coat is the same regardless of the color, and that what is being scratched, not the paint layer itself. It just shows up better due to the contrast--light scratches against dark background.
Old 06-24-07, 11:17 PM
StevenC56
Driver

Originally Posted by DrexLex
I would think that the clear coat is the same regardless of the color, and that what is being scratched, not the paint layer itself. It just shows up better due to the contrast--light scratches against dark background.
So it's the clear itself that is too soft? Is the clear different on black or maybe the clear reacts differently with some base colors?
Old 06-25-07, 08:15 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to belive that anyone paint is techniquely SOFTER than another.
Got any second opinions on this?
Old 06-25-07, 10:55 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer told me that THERE IS NO CLEAR COAT ON OBSIDIAN GS350, I took their word and put up a clearbra and wash car myself from the first day.
Old 06-25-07, 12:08 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Metallic Silver, and I found mine clearcoat to be soft (see my other post about carwash). The previous silver ES350 I had was the same. I'm not talking about serious scratches, but those slightly visible from the angle kind of scratches. I never used to care about it with my previous cars, and afraid to get caught in the whole paranoia phase now. I'm starting to accept its just my daily beater and not a show car, ... and still probably going to get porter cable LOL!!!
Old 06-25-07, 01:01 PM
BruceLeroy
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I'm pretty sure whoever gave you that "lexus black paint is softer" info was just feeding you some BS. Just like noncom said, black in any car make/model is harder to take care of. And anyone who did take their lexus into the dealership to get a re-clearcoating is probably just really **** about the slightest scratch, and is probably trying to convince themselves that paying to get a re-clearcoating was worth it (which now that I think about it, they have a right to with any luxury/new car. Although I wouldn't pay for any re-clearcoating).
Old 06-25-07, 01:51 PM
StevenC56
Driver

Originally Posted by BruceLeroy
Yeah, I'm pretty sure whoever gave you that "lexus black paint is softer" info was just feeding you some BS. Just like noncom said, black in any car make/model is harder to take care of. And anyone who did take their lexus into the dealership to get a re-clearcoating is probably just really **** about the slightest scratch, and is probably trying to convince themselves that paying to get a re-clearcoating was worth it (which now that I think about it, they have a right to with any luxury/new car. Although I wouldn't pay for any re-clearcoating).
The person that I know who had their 2002 ES re-cleared is not all that picky. Lexus did it for no charge even though he was out of warranty. The dealership told him it's a real common problem on the black. The dealership did this after he was in for a service and mentioned that the paint was starting to look very dull.
Old 06-25-07, 04:25 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by memasterac
My dealer told me that THERE IS NO CLEAR COAT ON OBSIDIAN GS350, I took their word and put up a clearbra and wash car myself from the first day.
My srvc. rep also told me there was no clearcoat on Obsidian Black, so I picked the next color I liked. Then I heard that there was a clearcoat. I don't know about him - he also told me when I first bought the car that there was no way to change the driver's headrest.
Old 06-25-07, 04:36 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Aftermarket paint is actually softer than factory applied paint especially with the EPA mandated methods for an application.

Historically, most Toyota/Lexus paints that are soild and some mica colors are non-clearcoated.