GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

1SICKTHOUGHT. V-10 GS-F coming???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-07, 05:18 PM
LexFather

Lightbulb 1SICKTHOUGHT. V-10 GS-F coming???

Hmmm, now let us look here
IS-F is official. It will use the bigger V-8 from the LS. This also competes with the V-8
C55
next M3
S4 and RS 4

Now, it seems more "F" models are coming.
The GS 460 will make AT LEAST 380hp. The IS-F probably around 410-415hp.
Now a GS-F makes little sense using the IS engine. Not much of a HP bump.

The IS 350 to IS-F is at least a 100hp bump. GS 460 to GS-F using the LS 5.0 engine might not even be a 40hp bump.

Let us look at the competiton

M5 V-10
S6 and upcoming RS6 V-10
E55 6.3 V-8

Does it not makes sense the GS-F be a V-10? And would it not lower production costs to put the V-10 in the LF-A, in the GS-F as well. Considering how small the LF-A is, there should be little fitment problems, though it is a front midship car (the engine is that far back).

Also the LF-A will produce over 500hp. This would make the GS-F over 100hp more than the GS 460, ala the IS-F. Why no V-10 LS? The LF-A will be using a high revving and "FUN" V-10 motor, this makes no sense in a car as big as a LS. But a fun GS-F, it does make sense.

Your thoughts? I think this makes perfect sense.
Old 01-26-07, 06:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

V10 is the only way to go IF they are going to make a GS-F at all, wonder if they would wait til the next generation though . . .
Old 01-26-07, 07:05 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking this same thing.....However, I know that the 5.0 they are putting in the IS-F can generate a lot more power than 400hp... I think they have it detuned so they would be able to push it to 500hp in the GS-F.

Rumor also has it that the V-10 in the LF-A will be 4.8L and push closer to 55ohp. I can see this engine being stroked to 5.0 (to produce lower end torque for the much heavier GS) and detuned slightly to just about 525hp.

It makes sense too that they would want to put it in something else to lower production cost..typical lexus lol

Its anyones guess at this point, we will have to wait and see how the IS-F does before we can even start to think about getting a GS-F.

While they are at it, an SC-F would be nice too....and a Bi tubo V12 LS-F would be just gravy.

Last edited by MR_F1; 01-26-07 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-26-07, 07:08 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

A lil off topic, but what suspension/chassis mods are being done to the F series cars?

We know its lower and stiffer, but is that it? Better anti roll bars? Chassis welding? Chassis bracing (like in the X-runner)...

I mean I'm glad lexus is taking steps toward a proper performance line and I dont expect them to get it just right the first time out, but I dont really wanna see a half arsed effort either.
Old 01-27-07, 10:41 AM
RandalR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Does it not makes sense the GS-F be a V-10?
I hope so - and if it actually gets more than 10 mpg, I'll give it a serious look.
Old 01-28-07, 12:24 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
V10 is the only way to go IF they are going to make a GS-F at all, wonder if they would wait til the next generation though . . .

The 3GS has been out for awhile already and IMO has been a huge failure for Lexus. It doesn't even have a regular V8 right now or a SPORTS package. ................I think Lexus is smart enough to wait to see how the IS-F is received before creating a V-10 GS-F.
Old 01-28-07, 01:27 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

A V10 GS-F would be awsome. But if they just take the same engine out of the LF-A and drop it in the GS-F without some sort of modifications, then that V10 engine they have been working hard on would quickly lose all of its exclusivity IMO. if they drop in a 9K RPM V10 engine into a GS-F shortly before or after the LF-A is introduced.

The LF-A is suppose to make a performance statement for Lexus. Chassis, Engine, Drivetrain... everything performance related for the LF-A is suppose to be a big deal and exclusive.
Old 01-28-07, 03:08 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does make sense Mike.
Send this link to Lexus just to be sure.
Old 01-28-07, 09:01 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GFerg
A V10 GS-F would be awsome. But if they just take the same engine out of the LF-A and drop it in the GS-F without some sort of modifications, then that V10 engine they have been working hard on would quickly lose all of its exclusivity IMO. if they drop in a 9K RPM V10 engine into a GS-F shortly before or after the LF-A is introduced.

The LF-A is suppose to make a performance statement for Lexus. Chassis, Engine, Drivetrain... everything performance related for the LF-A is suppose to be a big deal and exclusive.
I think that you are right. The LF-A is supposed to represent the best that Lexus can offer in performance technology, the flagship of their line. While it would be "cool" if the GS-F used the same V10, I think it's probably more feasible for them to use the UR V8 and crank a few more horses out of it. Heck, Mercedes V8 is now at 6.3 litres and ~500HP. Lexus' high performance V8 is 1.3 litres smaller, and only about 75 HP less (IS-F). With all of the engine technology that has been created in the last few years- direct injection, VVT-i, dual VVT-i, etc- I really see no reason that they couldn't give us a 5.4 or 5.5 litre V8 with 520HP or so. The V8 would also be less expensive for them to manufacture, which constitutes to a lower price for the car. The LF-A isn't going to be about cost with a V10, carbon fiber body, ceramic brakes, etc.

My bet is on a V8.
Old 01-28-07, 04:53 PM
LexFather

Ryan has stated the 5.0 V-8 can make 500hp....
Benz needs 6.3 liters to get that amount of power.
Old 01-28-07, 06:16 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I think Lexus is smart enough to wait to see how the IS-F is received before creating a V-10 GS-F.

Exactly.... I got the same message from the Lexus marketing folks this weekend at the Rolex24 race... basically, my paraphrase here, they said they were told from Sr. mgmnt. in Japan to "take the IS-F first, make sure it sells and there is demand/want for this performance brand in the U.S., and more will follow like a GS version etc.". They think our U.S. market will accept the "F" brand well, and are more concerned about how well it would go over in the global markets like Europe, where they have an uproad battle for acceptance.
Old 01-28-07, 06:20 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,259 Likes on 1,000 Posts

A V-10 would make a very $ expensive car. Then it would have to compete and out shine other cars in that same cost. For a new model unless it's a 10, that would make it risky.
Old 01-28-07, 07:39 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

if they slap a v10 in it.. then it's gonna have a bigger hood hump than the is-f's.
Old 01-29-07, 10:34 PM
carminesc
Rookie

this was speculated by the auto mags and media at the most recent auto show when the is-f was announced. i started a thread linking the article about two weeks ago where a reporter indicated rumblings of a possible v-10 gs-f on the horizon. of course, someone assumed i was comparing the m-5 to the gs-f and we know how that argument always ends up. i would love to see lexus enter this arena sooner rather than any later, but i do appreciate them taking their time because so often their vehicles are built to a higher standard when it comes to fit and finish and reliability (as a luxury car should be).
link to article from road and track:
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/detr...-?ref=fp-pulse

excerpt from article:
As for the engine, we hear that Toyota engineers have been considering a 5.0- liter V-10 that will produce around 550 bhp. There are reports, however, that they are currently testing a 4.8-liter version that may also make its way into the GS sedan, giving Lexus a rival for the BMW M5. Logic dictates that if the company is going to produce two V-10-powered cars, they should share the same block. Chances are that the LF-A's engine will be bored to 5.0 liters (or maybe more). This engine is not to be confused with the 5.0-liter V-8 that will be going into the IS-F.

Last edited by carminesc; 01-29-07 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-30-07, 12:14 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Logic also dictates that they would want the bigger displacement, less revvy, higer torque engine to put in a heavy GS sedan...... Just saying...

Quick Reply: 1SICKTHOUGHT. V-10 GS-F coming???