GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Upgrading Mark Levinson, Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06, 09:03 AM
S2peed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Mark Levinson, Need Help!

Hey guys,

I have the Mark Levinson system and am looking to tweak it a bit and get a higher quality of sound without sacraficing too much.

I am looking to just upgrade the speakers and the subwoofer and add a amplifier. I want to keep everything else factory.

My concern is the factory DTS/Dolby Digital decoder, I am not sure if this is build in on the factory amplifier or is it built on the head unit. I dont want to take the Oem amp out and loose the decoder. I hope everything is built of the head unit that way i can swap out the amp and the speakers.

Also How many speakers are in the Mark Levinson System and what are all their sizes?

Thanks!!!!
Old 07-05-06, 01:38 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if the ML in the GS is like the IS, the amp itself has a built in crossover (i think, theres a crossover somewhere), which I dont know if youll get that in an aftermarket amp. Also doing a new amp looks like youll have to run all new wiring if you are up for that/ Theres a guy named cmusic that posts info on 2IS audio he should have a lot of basic information but not sure about GS specific info
Old 07-07-06, 05:20 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The DTS/dolby digital decoder should be uilt into the head unit. The amplifier should provide only power to the speakers. The amplifier is located on the right of left side of the trunk floor near the tali lights. Check it out. It is very do-able to upgrade the speakers and amplfier on the vehicle. You may need a very good amplfier though (e.g. either 2 amps or a multichannel (5-6 channel) amplifier). In my opinion, I think you should just leave it alone. However, I know how it is to want better sound.
Old 07-09-06, 08:54 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nardeezy
The DTS/dolby digital decoder should be uilt into the head unit. The amplifier should provide only power to the speakers. The amplifier is located on the right of left side of the trunk floor near the tali lights. Check it out. It is very do-able to upgrade the speakers and amplfier on the vehicle. You may need a very good amplfier though (e.g. either 2 amps or a multichannel (5-6 channel) amplifier). In my opinion, I think you should just leave it alone. However, I know how it is to want better sound.
The Dolby and DTS decoders are in the amplifier, which is located on the right side of the trunk. The head unit has no means to connect 6-ch decoded audio to the amp. The connections are 2-ch analog and S/PDIF for 2-ch PCM or bitstreams. If it did have 6-ch audio, we'd also have full DVD-A capability, but we don't, unfortunately.