GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

silly question probably re: NEW car

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-06, 09:30 AM
NewGS4me
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silly question probably re: NEW car

Okay, I just got my beautiful car 26 days ago (yes, I'm counting -- blue onyx pearl/cashmere) and it has a clear plastic cover over the driver's side knee airbag. Is that supposed to come off? It's relatively loose over the face of the airbag area, but it's tucked in pretty tightly in the corners, so I don't want to be grabbing and pulling something out that's going to leave ugly little bits of torn plastic behind. Did anyone else have that? Did you take it off?
Thanks for any input.
Amy
Old 05-05-06, 09:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

is it white?! if so, i think it should have come off. when cars come to dealership there are alot of vinyl covers over them to protect the car. dealers are supposed to pull all of them off before delivering.

and yes, those vinyl goes all the way around the edge, you hav eto pull carefully (again, if that's what i am talking about)
Old 05-05-06, 10:19 AM
NewGS4me
Driver School Candidate

Default no, it's not white

The covering is not white. It's see-through. It looks like Saran Wrap, like what you would cover leftover food with, but slightly thicker. There is no such cover on the passenger knee airbag. It's just odd. I'm tempted to pull at it, but if it belongs there.....
Amy
Old 05-05-06, 11:43 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it definitely doesn't belong there. they are supposed to remove that stuff at pre-delivery inspection. sometimes they overlook it. mine is still there, and another piece on the bottom portion of the glove box area. i haven't ripped it off after 14,000 miles b/c i am a clean freak. i should take it off though.

(i also have my little sticky tapes over my illuminated scuff plates on my RX which i haven't removed in more than 3 years LOL)
Old 05-05-06, 11:54 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslover
it definitely doesn't belong there. they are supposed to remove that stuff at pre-delivery inspection. sometimes they overlook it. mine is still there, and another piece on the bottom portion of the glove box area. i haven't ripped it off after 14,000 miles b/c i am a clean freak. i should take it off though.

(i also have my little sticky tapes over my illuminated scuff plates on my RX which i haven't removed in more than 3 years LOL)
Do you have plastic on your furniture as well? J/k!
Old 05-05-06, 12:13 PM
drck1000
Driver

Originally Posted by lexuslover

I still have the plastic tape over the scuff plates on the passenger door. It's not peeling off and I figure let someone scratch that first then I can remove it. I still have the same type of plastic on the lid of by laptop for the same reason. The film on the laptop cover is actually quite thick, almost like a clear bra for my lap top .
Old 05-05-06, 03:30 PM
NewGS4me
Driver School Candidate

Default me too!

Okay, I LEFT the tape over the scuff plates on the doors too. I KNOW that's supposed to come off...but I like the protection. I think I'll wait until the 1000 mile check to let Lexus remove that plastic off the knee airbag. It doesn't want to come out on its own very easily. I'm just afraid it will interfere with the deployment of the airbag there.

Thanks for the input.
Amy
Old 05-05-06, 03:36 PM
NewGS4me
Driver School Candidate

Default wait a minute here....

You guys are not talking about the color-matched stickers that are placed beneath each door handle, are you? That isn't just supposed to be a removable "scuff plate" is it??? I am thinking about after you OPEN the door and at the bottom there, there's a clear sticker over the word "Lexus." I AM having a problem with people THINKING those color-coded stickers under the exterior door handles ARE supposed to come off and they think they can "help" me out by picking at it. What are you doing, people????? So I have two of those now that have little "pick marks" in them where some "helpful" person tried to scratch at it.
Please clue me in if those ARE supposed to come of. I'll feel pretty stupid.
Amy
Old 05-05-06, 04:16 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's just clear plastic that is supposed to be removed before delivery, it was left on my car also, I just pulled it off.