Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Rear seat srs airbag cover loose

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-11, 03:31 AM
icegoffy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear seat srs airbag cover loose

Hi all, anyone ever had the rear seats srs airbag cover loose problem?

for mine , the plastic cover is abit popup, such that it overlaps the rubber door sill.

Also, I tried to remove the rear seats, but there seems no easy way to remove them.

mine is a 07' gs450h.
Old 04-12-11, 03:11 PM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

When I see an airbag that is not properly placed, I suspect the car has been hit (or stolen) and the shop did not properly installed the new airbag.

But lets not go that far. I can't seem to figure out which plastic cover you are referring to and the how much it's "popup-ed". If you can get a picture of that area in questioned and see if we can compare it to our cars.

Also, this "problem" is not specific to the 450h so you might post this in the general 3GS forum to get more exposure/answers. My humble suggestions
Old 04-12-11, 05:10 PM
icegoffy
Driver School Candidate

yeah, u r right, there seems to be some accident previously but the dealer say it should be a minor accident.

I have attached a pic and circled the problem area.
Attached Thumbnails Rear seat srs airbag cover loose-photo.jpg  
Old 04-12-11, 06:19 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

I would get the dealership to check to see if they installed the SRS bag correctly, and see if they can take the rubber off and install it back, better to be safe than sorry. Unless the damage never deployed the air bag than just see if Lexus can reinstall it, looks like you would need to take off the rubber and reinstall it back.
Old 04-13-11, 10:24 AM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know how long you have had this vehicle, but sounds like you recently purchased it from a dealer. You should concern about the air bag (or at least clarify the functionality of it) and do what bigblack suggested, since you mentioned the dealer said it was in a minor accident.

If the dealer confirms air bag is good and not willing to do anything, I would just align the rubber weather stripping over that cover piece (like the rest of that piece), and when the door is closed I would put something between that cover piece and the door to press that piece down. Don't open that door for a couple days to see if that gap is smaller.

Personally, and I don't want to recommend this to you as this MIGHT effect the benifit of your air bag, I would just put a small piece of double sided tape in that gap and press that cover down. I think it will stick.

Last edited by sprtent; 04-13-11 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-13-11, 05:04 PM
icegoffy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, I am definitely going to get the Lexus dealer to have a look. I got the car off Peugeot dealer.

Double side tape may not help, as the plastic cover is sort of hard-bent out, i suspect it might have been caused by the popping action of the airbag or the dealer used too much force when installing it. I was thinking about using super glue or something.

Another thing, the original Lexus dealer told me that to check the airbag, they need to take out the whole seat, and I have been struggling to get the whole seat out.

Anyone knows a easy way to remove the seats? I see some posts on the forum but none of them works. My is a 07'gs.