GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Satelite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-05, 05:57 AM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Satelite Radio

My 06300 came without the xm radio option, do anyone know if the factory setup can be easily added? Or do I need a whole new headunit?
Old 06-29-05, 09:34 AM
trent
Advanced

Anyone with suggestions??
Old 06-29-05, 10:25 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XM is a dealer installed option, not factory direct. the GS doesn't come shipped from japan with the unit, but the SAT button on your audio system is ready to accept XM once installed so that it integrates seamlessly.

your local dealer can order and install it; the price varies, but i think people here have reported $500-$700 for everything. you can order the unit from lexus-parts.com (a CL vendor) and maybe get a slight discount; regular list price for the unit is $299.

there are also reports that the compatible sirius unit will be out later this year, if you are interested. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=sirius
Old 07-07-05, 01:12 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dont waste your money on XM you will be disappointed. Save your money and wait for SIRIUS to become an option on the GS. That will be your best bet. Why would you pay for radio that still plays edited music on 75% of there stations.
Old 07-08-05, 02:15 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is Sirius so much better then XM...

I know nothing about satellite radio
Old 07-08-05, 08:49 PM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neither is very good. I've put XM in my car and am not impressed with the reception. You loose the signal under every overpass on the freeway and when driving through the canyons. I usually just wind up listening to CDs. Just my two cents.
Old 07-08-05, 08:56 PM
highmiles
Pole Position

I've had XM Radio since it came out and have it in all my cars. I wouldn't own a car without it. My dealer did my installation and it works great. I spend a lot of time in my car and just love my XM. Just my two cents.
Old 07-08-05, 11:42 PM
BlkBuzzard
Driver

SIRIUS is ALOT better than XM for many reasons. Sirius has Howard Stern lined up babyyyyyyyyy. Yes, I love that rich womanizing chauvanistic idiot. He cracks me up.

Also, SIRIUS has a one-time @400 bucks life-time subscription plan. How cool is that? Pay 400 bucks and SIRIUS is with you for LIFE. Until you DIE. Or until armageddon. Or until hell freezes over. Or until martians really try to take over our planet!

I just got my 06 GS430. I been waiting FOREVER (almost 2 months) for Lexus to get serious about their SIRIUS. What da deal?
Old 07-08-05, 11:51 PM
trent
Advanced

Thanks for all of the responses, I've currently have xm in my IS, and my pickup truck, and wanted it in my new GS. I never had a problem with the reception at all except in my garage...I wanted to use the factory system to control xm in the GS so I'll will use the above link to order the parts and have it installed.
Old 07-14-05, 06:43 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrComputer
Neither is very good. I've put XM in my car and am not impressed with the reception. You loose the signal under every overpass on the freeway and when driving through the canyons. I usually just wind up listening to CDs. Just my two cents.
Sirius has a much better signal quality. Think about it, XM's satellites are fix positioned just North of South America. Sirius' orbits three satellites so that at any given time there's always one directly above North America. Regarding overpasses, both have receivers with enough of a buffer that it shouldn't matter. You'd want to get a good receiver that has a decent buffer.
Old 08-01-05, 08:49 AM
costanza
Pole Position

I'm so glad to see I can get XM in our GS300 for $299!!!! I'll definitely be getting it soon

I'd just like to add that I had Sirius a year or so ago. I was VERY excited, but then the truth slapped me in the face. The DJ's on the channels I listened to were AWEFUL! They just blabbered on and on like the local idiots on FM, giving "shout outs" and other such BS. And after listening for a while I realized I was hearing the same old songs and artists over and over. I visited a couple Sirius fan websites and found this (search for "repeats") was a very common complaint. In this regard Sirius was equivalent to a CD changer as far as I was concerned. I then swiched to XM. MUCH BETTER! What very little DJ talk there is, is usually about the music/artist (unless you're listening to a DJ's "show"/usually at night). And the playlists are MUCH deeper. XM has Cinemagic which plays the scores from movies, which I think it cool. I couldn't care less for Sterno, so that wasn't an issue. It does suck that only Sirius has the NFL, but maybe that will change one day. XM has MLB, but I don't care for baseball. As far as sound, they are very close. As far as signal reception, they are about the same in the Southeast. I prefer how XM's signal sort of fades out momentarily when the signal is blocked vs. Sirius, which just cuts the signal out completely briefly.

Last edited by costanza; 08-01-05 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-01-05, 11:26 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like my factory installed XM. I never had Sirius so I can't compare. But for me, having Howard Stern is a disadvantage rather than advantage. I'm glad XM doesn't have him and I'm not indirectly supporting him. But too each their own...

I'm sure like anything you'll find lovers and haters of both XM and Sirius . I think XM has a very deep playlist and enough channels to offer a huge variety. I don't know about music editing on XM, but Ive heard just about any type of profanity on one of their comedy channels.

My only complaint with XM is that I can't pick it up in my garage. It does drop out in wooded areas or some areas with tall buildings. But overall I'm very happy with it and intend to keep it. It's a huge improvement from broadcast radio and it makes listening to the radio enjoyable again.
Old 08-01-05, 11:44 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveJ
I like my factory installed XM. I never had Sirius so I can't compare. But for me, having Howard Stern is a disadvantage rather than advantage. I'm glad XM doesn't have him and I'm not indirectly supporting him. But too each their own...

I'm sure like anything you'll find lovers and haters of both XM and Sirius . I think XM has a very deep playlist and enough channels to offer a huge variety. I don't know about music editing on XM, but Ive heard just about any type of profanity on one of their comedy channels.

My only complaint with XM is that I can't pick it up in my garage. It does drop out in wooded areas or some areas with tall buildings. But overall I'm very happy with it and intend to keep it. It's a huge improvement from broadcast radio and it makes listening to the radio enjoyable again.
Why would having any particular entertainer of any particular company be a disadvantage to you. That's why there's a dial. I believe Opie and Anthony are untalented Stern wannby clones, but it doesn't bother me that they make a living. The fact that they staged someone having sex in someones church doesn't affect me, though I believe it to be in bad taste.

What it comes down to is programming. Obviously for the money spent, you want to get the best amount of programming you can appreciate. No satellite provider will be perfect, or offer 100% of the entertainment you're looking for, but if it can offer more than the other choice, than that's what you choose.

For me, Sirius radio is the one. The selection of music on XM seems to favor Clear Channel affiliated artists too much for my taste. Sirius plays a wider, deeper play list. There's only 16 NFL weeks of games a year, and I don't intend to miss any of my team playing (As opposed to 183 regular schedule games of baseball, who cares if you miss a game). Additionally, I'm a big NHL fan. I'm glad they put the league back on track. I believe the NHL will be stronger than it ever was in a few years. Sirius has the NHL too.

Lastly, yes, I do love listening to the Howard Stern show. He's been on the air for over 20 years creating 4-6 hours of daily live comedy and REAL discussions. No other form of media comes close.

So for me, between satellite signal quality, music and entertainment programming, Sirius is the only choice. But for many others, XM's the right decision. I respect that too.
Old 08-01-05, 03:31 PM
costanza
Pole Position

Originally Posted by looknow12
Sirius plays a wider, deeper play list.

That's not only strange, since Sirius themselves admit there playlists are "hits based", which means you're only going to hear "hits" (hits= songs you've already heard ump-teen times!), but untrue. Even the most diehard Sirius fans at Backstage won't try to make this claim!!!!
If you'd like to prove this claim, show me the playlists for a single day for XM's "Fred" and Sirius' "First Wave". Both are "classic" alternative channels. Let's see which channels is more "diverse"
Old 08-01-05, 04:35 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by costanza
That's not only strange, since Sirius themselves admit there playlists are "hits based", which means you're only going to hear "hits" (hits= songs you've already heard ump-teen times!), but untrue. Even the most diehard Sirius fans at Backstage won't try to make this claim!!!!
If you'd like to prove this claim, show me the playlists for a single day for XM's "Fred" and Sirius' "First Wave". Both are "classic" alternative channels. Let's see which channels is more "diverse"
This is certainly true on hits type channels. But that would be the same regardless of Satellite Service provider. Clear Channel is a huge shareholder in XM and it has been said that their influence on promoting their artists on tour has leaked into the desks of program directors at XM Radio. They can be quite cut throat.

As far as "umpteen times", "untrue", "even diehard", "prove this", "let's see", and "show me", it would appear a nerve of yours has been struck. I respect your choice. It's what works for you.

But for us both to try to debate the content played by both content providers without some sort of neutral party is certainly silly. For example, I'll show you my playlist, if you show me yours...what good is that going to do?

I'll leave it at that.

Quick Reply: Satelite Radio