Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known - Page 3 - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-03, 06:47 AM   #31
SeaCruiser
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4
Default

Hello Hameed

I just returned to this thread to make an inquiry about this same subject. I consider myself "mechanically impaired" and I was able to find the filter. (Thanks Drew) There is a panel below the CD changer. It measures 10 1/2 " X 2". It pulls out. Beneath it there is another panel. It has two grippers that allows you to slip it out. Then the filter slides out. Oh what a mess it was. I found leaves and thick dust. My question is are there replacement filters available? My Lexus dealer is over an hour away. I vacuumed the filter but I would feel better with a replacement.

Tip.. there are arrows on the panels to assist you in replacing them properly.

Gosh I learn so much stopping by this site!

Sea..
SeaCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-03, 07:43 AM   #32
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
 
DrewGS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,074
Default

Hey guys, no problem...glad to help other CL members.

I know a lexus tech and he says that they rarely replace the AC filter but the customer is always charged for it. This is the biggest scam going on .....not just with lexus but with other dealers as well.

When in doubt change it yourself....nobody is going to do a better job than you the "owner".
Even if you try catching them...and check later....they will just say they forgot and than will truly replace the filter.

Makes you wonder what else the dealers say they will do but in reality do not?
DrewGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-03, 10:43 AM   #33
LarryF
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: PA
Posts: 91
Default

My dealer replaced my filter at 30,000 and charged me around $50 for the new one! OUCH!! I remember seeing a thread on this site a year ago about making a replacement filter yourself by cutting down a larger home air conditioner filter. Much cheaper than the factory replacement.
LarryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-03, 11:16 AM   #34
LarryF
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: PA
Posts: 91
Default

Just remembered another A/C filter story -- a guy I work with who also has a GS told me that he was getting a foul smell in the cabin, and he removed the A/C filter and found a dead mouse in it. YUK
LarryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-03, 07:23 AM   #35
Lubs
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by DrewGS4
4. In the glove box, you can get to the Air conditioner filter and clean it out. You can remove the panel by pulling it straight out and than slide out the A/C filter. I could not believe how dirty and filthy my filter was and I was breathing all that ****** when the AC was on.

5. When giving the car to a valet, you can insert the key into the lock and lock it. But you can also lock it without the key. Just push the lock in and the trunk locks itself. To unlock it you would need to use the key.
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveGS4
11) There are two 'stops' for windshield wipers on the 2nd gen GS, a winter / ice setting and a regular lower setting. If your wipers on on the winter setting they sit way up high on the window and don't tuck behind the cowl. Just push them down hard and they'll 'pop' past the winter stop into the normal one. Looks much better.
RE: 4) My A/C filter was clogged up with leaves, dust, dirt, my old pet hamster, you name it. It feels good to know it's much cleaner now. To get at it, I took off a black piece in the back of my glove box, then another piece in front of the filter, and then slid out the filter.

RE: 5) I don't understand this one, can someone elaborate?

RE: 11) Having the wipers in winter mode bothered me, but I had figured that's just how they were. Pushing them down not only gives a better view of the road, but the view of my car is that much sexier. Great tip.

Nice thread guys.
Lubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-03, 07:27 AM   #36
Hameed
CF fanatic
 
Hameed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Lake Ontario
Posts: 7,062
Default Re: Cool "Hidden" features about the GS that are not very obvious

Quote:
Originally posted by DrewGS4
3. Steering wheel can be lowered even more by holding the down button for about 6 seconds followed by by a couple more pushes which will bring the steering wheel even lower.
To move the steering wheel and extra 1/2in to 1inch in any directions....click the button 8 times in the direction you want it to move it
Has anyone else noticed that you cannot save this last movement of the steering wheel (the last movement it makes down after pushing the button 8 times) in the memory buttons?
Hameed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-03, 09:14 AM   #37
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver
 
TerryTCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 857
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Lubs
RE: 4) My A/C filter was clogged up with leaves, dust, dirt, my old pet hamster, you name it. It feels good to know it's much cleaner now. To get at it, I took off a black piece in the back of my glove box, then another piece in front of the filter, and then slid out the filter.

RE: 5) I don't understand this one, can someone elaborate?

RE: 11) Having the wipers in winter mode bothered me, but I had figured that's just how they were. Pushing them down not only gives a better view of the road, but the view of my car is that much sexier. Great tip.

Nice thread guys.

#5 - Drew is talking about the lock cylinder that located above the trunk release and fuel door release on the lower left of the dash...
the lock cylinder can be pushed in to prevent anyone from using the electronic switches to open the trunk or fuel door... in order to release this lock, you need your master key... just turn and the lock cylinder will push back up to the oringinal unlocked position.

TerryTCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-03, 09:26 AM   #38
cjnmel
Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 156
Question does this???

apply only on the 2nd Generation GS's????
cjnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-03, 09:43 AM   #39
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
iTrader: (2)
 
DaveGS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 27,256
Default Re: does this???

Quote:
Originally posted by cjnmel
apply only on the 2nd Generation GS's????
Yes, that's what this particular forum is.... 2nd Gen GS

BUT it's worth trying them on your first gen GS as well , some of them will work. I believe some of the first gen guys started a similar thread a while back. Edit, found it. Click here for first gen hidden features thread

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-01-03 at 09:47 AM.
DaveGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-03, 10:19 AM   #40
jcramair1
Lead Lap
 
jcramair1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mass
Posts: 508
Default

Excellent stuff thanks for sharing the info.

JOhn
jcramair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-03, 10:56 AM   #41
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion
 
TwentyTen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: United States
Posts: 2,189
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by DrewGS4
Hey guys, no problem...glad to help other CL members.

I know a lexus tech and he says that they rarely replace the AC filter but the customer is always charged for it. This is the biggest scam going on .....not just with lexus but with other dealers as well.

When in doubt change it yourself....nobody is going to do a better job than you the "owner".
Even if you try catching them...and check later....they will just say they forgot and than will truly replace the filter.

Makes you wonder what else the dealers say they will do but in reality do not?

Hey Drew -This should save you 50 dollars on a hepa filter:

http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/GS_DIY/hepa_filter/


Thanks BananaGS!!!!
TwentyTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-03, 02:08 PM   #42
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
 
DrewGS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,074
Default

Darius, looking good and nice DIY mod.

I am just pleased to see that this thread has helped out so many other members
DrewGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-03, 08:57 AM   #43
Bdragon007
Pole Position
 
Bdragon007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 348
Default

Well this is not really a hidden feature, but for me it's pretty useful trick when paralell parking. Since i'm the only one who drive my car, i used only one memory setting for the seat and the other i used it to adjust the side view mirrors to see the rim, so i woudn't get it mess up when i paralell park.
Dan
Bdragon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-03, 08:59 AM   #44
Hameed
CF fanatic
 
Hameed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Lake Ontario
Posts: 7,062
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by DrewGS4
3. Steering wheel can be lowered even more by holding the down button for about 6 seconds followed by by a couple more pushes which will bring the steering wheel even lower.
To move the steering wheel and extra 1/2in to 1inch in any directions....click the button 8 times in the direction you want it to move it
Has anyone else noticed that you cannot save this last movement of the steering wheel (the last movement it makes down after pushing the button 8 times) in the memory buttons?
Hameed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-03, 11:22 AM   #45
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
 
DrewGS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,074
Default

Hey Hameed,
I think you are right, the final move of the steering wheel does not get saved in memory. It is only good as long as the car is on. Might be a c-best fix but I'm not sure.
DrewGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did you know about the Carista app? Carista CL Vendor Products for 4GS 133 08-16-16 09:31 AM
What's your (LPS) Lexus Personalized Settings? Batmobile IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) 45 07-01-16 10:31 AM
Carista for iPhone is now available: configure your Lexus Personalized Settings! Carista CL Vendor Products for 3IS 4 12-04-15 09:54 AM
Sick of that reverse beep? Disable it with Carista for iPhone (yes, just released!) Carista Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace 34 10-15-15 05:57 AM
Some cool things you need to know about your GS DrewGS4 GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) 37 08-20-02 05:03 PM


Tags
2003, bmw, button, es300, finding, functions, hidden, lexus, park, tc, unlock, windshield, winter, wiper, x5

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:45 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved