GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Interior wood trim refinish ideas - Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 05:20 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Interior wood trim refinish ideas - Feedback?

Currently have the tan interior. Looking to spice up my wood trim pieces. Chime in with your thoughts:

Paint to match exterior (metallic gold) with clear coat and all. Seen this done with engine covers and looks cool.
Charcoal grey metallic with clear coat (second choice)
Carbon fiber wrap in black or charcoal grey
Blackwood (rare and expensive)

Leaning toward matching the exterior color.

Your thoughts please.
Old 02-15-17, 06:29 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

It will look horrible. The color is going to blend into the tan leather with little to no contrast. Dont know about any other colors other than leaving it wood. Painting will just look tacky. Get them water transfer printed to blackwood. Although I dont think that will look good on tan either, but better than painting them the colors you mentioned.

All of those are good ideas, but just like many people who want to "mod" a car, they just look at what they're doing rather than the whole picture. Colors you choose need to blend well with the rest of its surroundings.

Transfer painting to a very dark walnut grain (rather than the current burlwood) would be something different and blend with the browns already in the car.
Old 02-15-17, 07:07 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with Mr Jokster 100%.
Old 02-15-17, 07:15 PM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Blackwood actually look pretty clean on tan leather. There was an LS430 UL I was looking at that had that combo and it surprisingly was pretty fresh. I'm a fan of japaneses red cherrywood myself but never seen it against tan leather. Brown leather might look good maybe.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by nelson09; 02-15-17 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-15-17, 08:44 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Red with the tan wouldn't go well I think.

Mr Jokester brings up some good sanity points.

However, I think charcoal grey carbon wrap would look good. I've seen gold and charcoal 2017 Accords and that particular color combo is pretty classy.
Old 02-16-17, 11:49 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eicca
Red with the tan wouldn't go well I think.

Mr Jokester brings up some good sanity points.

However, I think charcoal grey carbon wrap would look good. I've seen gold and charcoal 2017 Accords and that particular color combo is pretty classy.
I agree, but the part I think you may be over looking here is that there are going to be 3 different colors in your car. Brown, tan and and distinctly darker color. Charcoal and gold, yes very nice color combo, but its just the 2. Cars are usually 2-toned and at best, 2-toned with triple color accent (keyword accent, like subtle trims or seat tubing).

Best thing to do is mock up a few parts before doing anything permanent. There are different color carbon fibers out there, maybe something closer to the browns rather than the blacks.

Also, are you planing on just wrapping with faux matte/flat fiber paper or for real with resin and polish finish?
Old 02-16-17, 12:02 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I agree, but the part I think you may be over looking here is that there are going to be 3 different colors in your car. Brown, tan and and distinctly darker color. Charcoal and gold, yes very nice color combo, but its just the 2. Cars are usually 2-toned and at best, 2-toned with triple color accent (keyword accent, like subtle trims or seat tubing).

Best thing to do is mock up a few parts before doing anything permanent. There are different color carbon fibers out there, maybe something closer to the browns rather than the blacks.

Also, are you planing on just wrapping with faux matte/flat fiber paper or for real with resin and polish finish?
I'll definitely be photoshopping a few mockups before I do anything final. I'd probably go with the least expensive but highest quality fake carbon wrap and then add a layer of some kind of clear hard finish for durability.

Grey stone would look interesting....
Old 02-16-17, 02:32 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The blackwood is not as expensive as one might think.
Also, I do not think it fits with the tan, anyway. Find some pics of it with tan and see what you think.

I think a way to go would be to have them painted the same tan as the pillars and headliner.

Also keep in mind there are at least 3 wood trim types. There is the common darker reddish wood that most of us have/had, the blackwood and a third much lighter and yellower wood. I think THAT wood ONLY works with the tan.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...-lot-more.html

Last edited by AmanO; 02-16-17 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-16-17, 04:09 PM
eicca
Intermediate

I'm in the process of peeling off all the stupid wood stickers, and I'm surprised that the entire central console is black (ashtray, head unit and A/C control). So I think blackwood or carbon fiber may work.

Photoshop will be done first, as promised.
Old 02-16-17, 05:45 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Blackwood on tan isn't too bad, but you may want to change a few of your interior pieces to black. Here's how it looks on the GX470 Sport:

The following users liked this post:
eicca (02-16-17)
Old 02-16-17, 06:15 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Ideas are flowing. See the pic below; its not my specific color but in his case, it looks great and it gave me a few more ideas that you can visualize on that picture

Black vents/clock assembly to complete the black center control stack.
Black gauge cluster bezel from 01+
Black side vents

With all that, if the exterior gold doesn't look good on the wood parts, a nice matte black finish would probably tie it all in real nicely. OR I could do exterior gold match on the center console trim piece and then matte black on the door pieces.

Old 02-17-17, 04:08 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by eicca
Ideas are flowing. See the pic below; its not my specific color but in his case, it looks great and it gave me a few more ideas that you can visualize on that picture

Black vents/clock assembly to complete the black center control stack.
Black gauge cluster bezel from 01+
Black side vents

With all that, if the exterior gold doesn't look good on the wood parts, a nice matte black finish would probably tie it all in real nicely. OR I could do exterior gold match on the center console trim piece and then matte black on the door pieces.

I've got the 01+ gauge cluster bezel and center vent/ clock FS if you go that route and need them. Pm me if interested!
Old 02-18-17, 10:03 AM
Wrath
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey eicca, it would look better with the black side vents but you need to take the dash out to remove them IIRC and that's loads of work for two vents . I can say I've seen a GS running around here with his wood trim painted black on a tan/grey interior like in the pic above. It didn't look too swell... I think it was a rattle can job. Even if it was done well and correctly, it would have just stood out in the interior. In a bad way.
Old 02-18-17, 10:36 AM
eicca
Intermediate

Here's a few super sloppy mockups. The gold color is way off, it's kinda pink. Plus this isn't my car; it was a blue google GS and I changed it gold just for a quick fix. When the weather is good I'll get a better shot of my own vehicle and do that.

I actually think a satin black on everything to match the black center controls (which you will be able to see better in my own car) would look cool. Gold in the middle is interesting as well when it's the right shade.

The only one that made me go "ew gross" was the all gold. But I mean, technically I can do whatever I want since it's my car but hey I like your feedback

The other thing I realized is that in the process of modifying the blue exterior I monochromed the tan interior.........
Attached Thumbnails Interior wood trim refinish ideas - Feedback?-panelmockupblack.png   Interior wood trim refinish ideas - Feedback?-panelmockupgoldblack.png   Interior wood trim refinish ideas - Feedback?-panelmockupgold.png  
Old 02-19-17, 01:18 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I thought you said you had tan interior? Thats not tan.

Quick Reply: Interior wood trim refinish ideas - Feedback?