GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need new transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-16, 10:00 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need new transmission

Anyone ever replaced a 400/430 transmission? Im going to throw a used 1 just wanna know if theres anything i should look out for? Do you think alldata would be helpful for me?
Old 12-19-16, 07:40 PM
zippymbr
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Why? Mine went crazy a few years ago and a flush a a new solenoid and it's been great.
Old 12-21-16, 10:48 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

I lost 3rd gear, was having problems with third for a while now it free revs.
Old 12-21-16, 03:47 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

It's a straightforward replacement.

Remove the exhaust from the headers to the rear y-pipe input (and remove or disconnect the o2 sensors on the exhaust), remove the heat shield and the front half of driveshaft.
Disconnect shifter linkage, vss sensors and shift selector wire connectors, as well as the two cooler lines on the passenger side.
Use multiple long extensions together to reach over the top of trans from behind the trans to remove the 14mm bolts around the top of the bellhousing, remove the starter, and all the lower bellhousing bolts..

Now you are almost ready to pull, but it can be a real ***** to slide it back off of the tq convertor in the tunnel as it's pretty tight, so best to pop off the rubber plug on the bottom of the block and take out the 6 bolts holding the tq convertor to the flexplate, rotating the crank to get to each bolt one at a time.
You can then pull the trans with the tq convertor still in it at the same time, this makes the trans a ton heavier so be prepared, but the convertor won't leak oil all over the floor under the car this way. And this will allow you completely change the oil inside the tq convertor as well while you are swapping the trans.

Should take about 3 hours to complete if on a lift, and all day on the ground.
Old 12-24-16, 02:21 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
It's a straightforward replacement.

Remove the exhaust from the headers to the rear y-pipe input (and remove or disconnect the o2 sensors on the exhaust), remove the heat shield and the front half of driveshaft.
Disconnect shifter linkage, vss sensors and shift selector wire connectors, as well as the two cooler lines on the passenger side.
Use multiple long extensions together to reach over the top of trans from behind the trans to remove the 14mm bolts around the top of the bellhousing, remove the starter, and all the lower bellhousing bolts..

Now you are almost ready to pull, but it can be a real ***** to slide it back off of the tq convertor in the tunnel as it's pretty tight, so best to pop off the rubber plug on the bottom of the block and take out the 6 bolts holding the tq convertor to the flexplate, rotating the crank to get to each bolt one at a time.
You can then pull the trans with the tq convertor still in it at the same time, this makes the trans a ton heavier so be prepared, but the convertor won't leak oil all over the floor under the car this way. And this will allow you completely change the oil inside the tq convertor as well while you are swapping the trans.

Should take about 3 hours to complete if on a lift, and all day on the ground.
thanks for the reply. Im a bit more confident now with all the info you provided. Do you know if anything else could possibly be damaged? Today the transmission was making a very loud whine and after a good 1 hour of driving.. 1st gear started to buck and it would take a long time for the transmission to find the gear.. now the transmission wont go into any gear and i could smell something burning.. i got the car towed home and after it sat for about 2 hours i started it up and its going into gear again and the car actually moves.. trying to figure out the issue here