GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New 01 GS300 On Going Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-16, 10:59 AM
Kavanaghcr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 01 GS300 On Going Problems

Edit: everything got fixed

Last edited by Kavanaghcr; 08-26-16 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-21-16, 01:19 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

I don't know about all your other problems, however the power steering DOES use transmission fluid and not power steering fluid.
Old 07-23-16, 09:47 PM
mizike
Rookie

What I would check only because my new one I bought had abs and vsc and odd issues going on batterin replaced multiple times while sitting before I bought it. I changed to a new 200 amp alternator and all those issues gone. My mechanic told me these cars are very sensitive with voltages. The ps issues others have plenty on that. Good luck with it alll.

Things that i noticed when buying:

- power steering squeal
- rust hole in trunk
- broken side marker
- a probably badly wired head unit
- OVC valve was disconnected

First thing I got done on the car by my mechanic and what he said was:

- timing was done and good for another while, he assumed spark plugs should be good too as filter and fluids seemed okay therefore "well" maintained
- power steering system was completely rebuilt as the rack and pinion were leaking and had transmission fluid inside it and not PS fluid
- new front discs and pads, the rear was new
- took apart the centre console to clean it all out, removed a bunch of smoker crud, cleaned connections. As a result, my heated seats are now working and VSC off button as well.

A week later:

PS started to squeal again and i noticed puddles so probably a leak. I assume it was the PS system, perhaps he missed something.
Car now has a p0300, p0301, p0302, p0303, and p0305 code (Random misfire, @ cyl 1,2,3,5) which came out of nowhere.
I received a new OVC and replugged it after a month of driving without being plugged (was this a bad thing? Seemed to run fine)

Weird things I noticed during the month of ownership:

- Before redoing the PS, it happened 2-3 times where a buzzer would beep beep beep for a solid 2mins while driving
- It stalled once while driving at 5km/h the engine just turned off
- Ive had some battery drain problems which i think were related to the headunit having a secondary switch to keep it on while car is off.

Now I'm kind of at a loss wondering why my car is misfiring on 4 cylinders. It happened last week all of a sudden. I made sure to clean the MAF and ground wire connections in the motor. I took it for a spin last night to check everything out. I have a VSC light but that is all. Im wondering if my Check Engine Light is burnt out as i have yet to see it go off. I doubt the potential PS problem and the misfire would be related but perhaps? Any advice? I looked at the engine last night after a good scrub and noticed that the valve cover gasket on the drivers side is a bit dirty but I doubt that one thing alone would cause this.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-24-16, 08:20 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Dude, your issue is a very rare case! My alternator completely seized and I drove home (many miles away) with no problems with abs.

An alternator is NOT a fix to abs issues
Old 07-24-16, 11:18 AM
mizike
Rookie

No its not a fix. And it would have been a combo of bad battery and alternator because if your driving and you alternator seized the. You abs was fine because your battery kept the voltages up. I saw all the abs errors and vsc etc with the bad alternator in my car though because the battery was also low. The system was only providing 11.2 volts on the battery with the alternator in. So if I had a battery that could hold 14volts the abs and vsc and codes lights dash etc probably wouldn't have come on. But absolutely low voltage causes abs failures because that is what it was on mine. My battery is fine. So the alternator once it charged my battery back up to 14.4v the entire system stayed running at 14.4v and no electrical abs or dash lights codes vsc anymore. It just so happens that it was the cause of mine. Very odd case for sure. But I was about to go down the abs thread rabbit hole for fixes so was extremely happy and surprised when the new alternator fixed all the other abs and electrical issues.
Old 08-09-16, 02:33 AM
Kavanaghcr
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys thanks for the replies!
So heres my update:

I changed the sparks, coils, and plugs on the car. Solved all my random misfires.
I had not done them yet and they were completely finished from what I saw.
Power steering problems are all fixed.

I no longer have any codes

Last edited by Kavanaghcr; 08-26-16 at 08:11 PM.